Free dictionary defintion of mocking.... lets get this right

Free dictionary defintion of mocking.... lets get this right

July 12th, 2010, 1:13 am #1

I feel that right wing superstitious christians have a habit of mocking others who dont agree with their particular take on reality or what the bible says. Any act of trying to ask questions, no matter how sincerely or mildly put is deemed to be an act of mocking their beliefs. I feel that they are misusing the word to avoid discussion itself. "Dont you mock my (weird, delusional and absurd) beliefs!!!. Not all skeptical questions are mocking, especially because someone chooses to label these awkward issues as such.

mock (mk)
v. mocked, mock·ing, mocks
v.tr.
1. To treat with ridicule or contempt; deride.
a. To mimic, as in sport or derision. See Synonyms at ridicule.
b. To imitate; counterfeit.
3. To frustrate the hopes of; disappoint.
v.intr.
To express scorn or ridicule; jeer: They mocked at the idea.
n.
a. The act of mocking.
b. Mockery; derision: said it merely in mock.
2. An object of scorn or derision.
3. An imitation or a counterfeit.
adj.
Simulated; false; sham: a mock battle.
adv.
In an insincere or pretending manner: mock sorrowful.
[Middle English mokken, from Old French mocquer.]
mocker n.
mocking·ly adv.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Adj. 1. mocking - abusing vocally; expressing contempt or ridicule; "derisive laughter"; "a jeering crowd"; "her mocking smile"; "taunting shouts of `coward' and `sissy'"
derisive, gibelike, jeering, taunting
disrespectful - exhibiting lack of respect; rude and discourteous; "remarks disrespectful of the law"; "disrespectful in the presence of his parents"; "disrespectful toward his teacher"
2. mocking - playfully vexing (especially by ridicule); "his face wore a somewhat quizzical almost impertinent air"- Lawrence Durrell
quizzical, teasing
playful - full of fun and high spirits; "playful children just let loose from school"

OK, fine, maybe doctrine led people may hear scorn in questions, knowing the thin ice they are on, but that does not make a question mocking just because its asked. The reply is just a cheap get out clause for those wishing to hold a very debatable position, but still wish to be respected for holding one.

Why not just deal with a question on its merits instead? If someone doesnt choose to believe some unsupportable thesis, why not just say "This is my belief, untenable as it is, I have no evidence to offer to support it."

I guess it's harder to peddle it as a truth if you admit these things maybe.

Blasphemy is a victimless crime

WINGNUTS - people on the lunatic fringe of politics - are winning in America.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzq0p ... o1_500.jpg

Zombie Jesus who sort of came back from the dead...

<i>Away in a graveyard, a stone overhead
The zombie lord Jesus is raised from the dead
The bones and the corpses are at his command
And rise like their master to swarm o'er the land!
The women are screaming, then running away
Poor Mary and Martha are gnawed where they lay
I fear thee, lord Jesus, your curséd undeath
With worms in your bowels and rot on your breath.
Have mercy, lord Jesus, don't eat me today
Next year I'll be bigger, I promise! I pray
Some shaman or rabbi or priestess or such
Will stake you and save us from your deadly touch.</i>

I know Bible literalists apologists have their explanations, but they are ultimately just <b><i>band aids over bull sh!t.</b></i>

Biblical Pitfalls .http://www.network54.com/Forum/660399/

July 12th, 2010, 1:21 am #2

So even you, as a devout "Christian Atheist", cannot make a statement or ask a question that mocks, distorts, attacks, or otherwise diminishes what is righteous. The most religious seem to fail to understand this and treat their doctrine and dogma as "righteous"; which is flagrant mockery of what is truly "righteous".

"The truth is dear to God"... "The truth shall set you free"... A couple of passages that spell it out rather clearly.

Arthur Dent
Arthur Dent

July 12th, 2010, 5:00 am #3

that I would have thought everyone should have dealt with sometime in their lives and yet they cause a shitfest rather than deal with these universal problems.

They'd prefer to chew their arms off than share their own solutions. or my feeling is they made a career of avoiding these issues and have been running ever since.

Sometimes the adjectives these guys use against others are more revealing about themselves. Nucc kept referring to "running from" things as he avoided direct answers from others.

Not sure what the "suck boy" comments were about, but it sounds worrying.

July 12th, 2010, 5:07 am #4

And the pejoratives, ad homs, and simply diverting the discussion away from anything substantive are the main tactics, for certain. It's easy to understand why, though. People have placed so much of their identity and self into their beliefs that they can no longer separate themselves from their beliefs. So anything poses that is a threat to their beliefs must be thwarted at all costs - even at the cost of reason and logic. On the whole, it seems that emotions and beliefs are more powerful than reason and logic, which is an interesting concept to ponder actually.
Last edited by ever-a-newbie on July 12th, 2010, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

JVH

July 12th, 2010, 5:19 am #5