! Corinthians 13:6

! Corinthians 13:6

January 29th, 2010, 3:21 pm #1

1 Cor 13:6
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. (NIV)

Loved enough

The truest friend does not doubt but hope. While many movies based on books leave much to be desired, Douglas McGraths 1996 production of Emma vividly portrays Jane Austens endearing characters, Emma and her beloved Mr. Knightly. The strength of the relationship, though, comes from Austens pen as she reveals the longing of every heart not only to be loved, but to be loved in truth. A man of conviction, Mr. Knightly affirms to Emma that his CHATISEMENT of her unacceptable behavior doesnt come from a rejection of her but from his belief that greater things reside within her.

Spiritual growth doesnt happen without a confrontation with the truth. In John 14:6, Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through Me. Far more than factual information, Gods truth is inseparable from His love. Truth required the cross; love made it possible.

Jesus loves us enough to speak straight to us. He does this so that our feet will be set firmly on the solid rock of His Word. In return, we must be willing to love others in truth.

Truth is not easy to hear, and hard words hurt. Love, however, persists past niceties. Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy (Proverbs 27:6). Longing to see things set right, love willingly walks the difficult path of speaking the truth found in Gods Word. We do a great injustice to the body of Christ when we pretend that sin doesnt exist (Ephesians 4:25).

The strength of God becomes active in our lives when we live out the twofold calling to truth. We must be willing to speak it (Proverbs 27:17) as well as receive it (Psalm 141:5). Gods love deals in truth. Anything less isnt really love.

Regina Franklin, Our Daily Journey

Unless we LOVE the truth, we cannot know it ~~ Pascal

January 30th, 2010, 6:40 am #2

Thank you Nucc, that was most inspiring. This statement is worth its weight in platinum:

Spiritual growth doesnt happen without a confrontation with the truth.

God Bless: Joanne

January 30th, 2010, 4:16 pm #3

John 8:31-32
31 Jesus therefore was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you abide in My word, {then} you are truly disciples of Mine;
32 and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

(NAS)

We are sinners saved by God's grace through FAITH....Therefore...

James 5:16
16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. (NAS)

This doesn't mean we have to make public ALL our dirty laundry, but just to admit that our works CANNOT save us, as appealing as they are to others . Only Christ can. It is to HIM that we must be accountable.

Keep growing Joanne, get into the SOLID FOOD of maturity from God's Word.

Heb 5:14
14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil. (NAS)

January 31st, 2010, 4:40 am #4

THE IMPORTANCE OF THE SCRIPTURES TO SPIRITUAL GROWTH

The Scriptures Are The Word Of God (1Th 2:13)

The first key to spiritual growth is the Scriptures. Studying, knowing, applying the Scriptures to ones Christian life is absolutely necessary if there is going to be any spiritual growth.

When we speak of the Word of God, it is different from any other writings, both past and present. Other writings, no matter how religious, truthful, or filled with inspiring anecdotes are only the product of man not God (2Pe 1:20-21).

The Scriptures on the other hand are in all reality (alêths) as they say they are, the word of God (logon theou). The Scriptures originated with and are the product of God (2Ti 3:16 - theopneustos - God breathed).

Not only are the Scriptures Gods word, but they are accompanied with Gods power to perform its work (energe - Eng. energy or energize) in believers. This is one of the reasons that the Scriptures are so necessary to spiritual growth.

This may not seem like much, but I have committed myself to make every effort to read and study the Scriptures for at least 20 minutes every day. If I can meet this goal I know that in time I will mature and grow spiritually. I really need this as I think everyone who calls themself a Christian also needs.

God Bless: Joanne

January 31st, 2010, 2:06 pm #5

...see the evidence of growth in your life right now. Believer to believer.... Don't ever stop.

Heb 3:13
13 But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is {still} called "Today," lest any one of you be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.
(NAS)