A modern resurrection

A modern resurrection

January 10th, 2012, 3:24 pm #1

This is aimed at Tim, mostly ... because it's kinda technical ...

A friend of mine talked me into buying a NiMh fast charger. He claimed that it "revived" his old batteries! So I bought one and tried it out.

Now, MY "problem" is/was that the batteries were always dying far too fast in my old Olympus camera. It seemed that I got very short life out of my battery set for the amount that I used that camera. It uses 4 AA batteries.

So I ran some tests.

I had already concluded that the camera wasn't using nearly half of the battery life (before shutting down) and that I was needing to recharge them much too quickly and so the batteries were developing a "memory" problem ... a common quirk with Nicad and NiMh batteries.

NiMh batteries have a discharge voltage of about 1.2 volts per cell and a full charge of around 1.4 volts per cell. Multiply that by 4 and you get 5.6 volts on a set of fully charged batteries. My camera cuts off operation at 5.3 volts.

Over (a bit) of time, a set of otherwise decent NiMh batteries would simply NOT work in the camera any more, even when freshly charged.

So I wanted to see if this new fast charger could "revive" my "old" NiMh batteries enough so that I could use them in my camera again...

I did a bunch of discharging, recharging and super charging etc. and found that the trick was to get the batteries good and warm. Thus, I was able to get an old set of refusnik batteries to run in my camera and run the flash etc. ... so I did this additional test to see just how MANY flash pictures I could take with these manipulated cells.

I did consecutive flash pictures, one after another, after another ... until my finger got fatigued from pushing the button. I filled one card with pictures, changed cards and kept shooting until ... at the 508th picture, the camera finally shut down. All of this consecutive draining on the batteries definitely made them very warm and the camera body itself was pretty warm too.

Wow! What a record! Normally, one can get about 60 flash pictures on this camera with these batteries (good ones, that is) ... and that's it.

So I wanted to save my "proof".

Well guess what? My first card was nowhere to be found! It disappeared ... VANISHED ... completely.

That was on the late evening of the 6th of January. I looked high and low ... EVERY CONCEIVABLE PLACE imaginable, for that card and it was just GONE.

The card itself wasn't a particularly big loss because I've pretty well retired that camera and have 2 other cards but ... my PROOF now ... was in "da poof" (as former PM Jean Chretien might say). My card had vanished -poof!

This loss hounded me for 3 days. I kept retracing my last activities in my mind and kept coming back to the same place: I HAD to have put it into the top drawer on my right hand side at my desk. I searched that drawer totally, removing every item and putting it all back ... probably a half dozen times. I lifted things and looked on the bottoms in case "static" might be sticking my card to it. I checked every surface of the drawer for "stickshion" -every square inch. It was at the point where I thought I might be developing a compulsive/obsessive disorder for searching that drawer.

Here's the drawer and contents. There isn't all that much inside of it ... right?

In the meantime, I'm listening to all the alternate media stuff on current events and getting so incredibly huffed by all the intentional evil and deception going on. Not sins of omission, but sins of deliberate and calculated COMmision ... and I said a prayer to the higher power(s). I said, "give me a sign that you are WORKING on people to get them woken up ... that the global elitists will be exposed and known fully by all. Make my camera card appear!"

Sounds a bit dumb, eh? Sure it is ...

But I'd heard this podcast one night where a paranormal researcher and convinced-er was speaking as guest. He related a story of how he'd been driving along a country road with his son one night, talking about finding proof of the paranormal and simply EXPRESSING one's desire for signs of proof. He told his son to go ahead ... ask for a sign ... be brave ... list specifics. So his son asked for proof in the next 3 miles. He asked that something very unusual would manifest itself.

At the end of the two miles, the dad stopped his car and asked his son if he saw it ... the proof? His son said no, he didn't. Then dad showed him something very strange. Through a crack in the asphalt of the road, there was this splendid sunflower plant growing ... about 4' high and in perfect shape! How strange is that? No cars ever hit it and mowed it down?

So I thought about that story when I "prayed" about my camera card re-appearing. I thought the sunflower plant story surely WAS rather amazing!

On January 9th, some time in the afternoon, I compulsively went back to that drawer again ... lifted the clear plastic box with nick-nacks inside of it and couldn't believe my eyes. There, laying flat on the bottom of the drawer with all the nice gold printed contacts showing ... was my camera card!

So ... believe it or not ... that's my resurrection story. The card apparently went to hell for 3 days and then came back into my drawer again!

The batteries on the other hand ... have not such a magnificent conclusion. After 3 days of sitting idle in the camera -even after being super charged and all- ... they fail to turn the camera on!~ They have to be HEATED UP in order to work and/but if they work ... they REALLY work!

-Vince

QUITTNER
QUITTNER

January 10th, 2012, 4:22 pm #2

Thanks for that interesting post about your experience. I keep throwing out, 4 AAs at a time, the batteries as soon as they no longer perform. Maybe next time I'll heat them (slightly?), hoping they will not explode. Will boiling temperature be too hot? But once they are back down to room temperature what then?
..... I read somewhere about some "entities" (of Ireland?), as I remember it, that have fun with people and hide "stuff" for some time; maybe your experience with that camera card provide some proof that this is true? But if it is true, then that raises a lot of questions! Or could it be that the card was there all the time but somehow your sight failed you for some time so that you didn't see it, and then came back to normal? Thanks in anticipation (TIA)!

Seoc Colla
Seoc Colla

January 10th, 2012, 5:17 pm #3

A friend of mine talked me into buying a NiMh fast charger. He claimed that it "revived" his old batteries! So I bought one and tried it out.

Now, MY "problem" is/was that the batteries were always dying far too fast in my old Olympus camera. It seemed that I got very short life out of my battery set for the amount that I used that camera. It uses 4 AA batteries.

So I ran some tests.

I had already concluded that the camera wasn't using nearly half of the battery life (before shutting down) and that I was needing to recharge them much too quickly and so the batteries were developing a "memory" problem ... a common quirk with Nicad and NiMh batteries.

NiMh batteries have a discharge voltage of about 1.2 volts per cell and a full charge of around 1.4 volts per cell. Multiply that by 4 and you get 5.6 volts on a set of fully charged batteries. My camera cuts off operation at 5.3 volts.

Over (a bit) of time, a set of otherwise decent NiMh batteries would simply NOT work in the camera any more, even when freshly charged.

So I wanted to see if this new fast charger could "revive" my "old" NiMh batteries enough so that I could use them in my camera again...

I did a bunch of discharging, recharging and super charging etc. and found that the trick was to get the batteries good and warm. Thus, I was able to get an old set of refusnik batteries to run in my camera and run the flash etc. ... so I did this additional test to see just how MANY flash pictures I could take with these manipulated cells.

I did consecutive flash pictures, one after another, after another ... until my finger got fatigued from pushing the button. I filled one card with pictures, changed cards and kept shooting until ... at the 508th picture, the camera finally shut down. All of this consecutive draining on the batteries definitely made them very warm and the camera body itself was pretty warm too.

Wow! What a record! Normally, one can get about 60 flash pictures on this camera with these batteries (good ones, that is) ... and that's it.

Well guess what? My first card was nowhere to be found! It disappeared ... VANISHED ... completely.

That was on the late evening of the 6th of January. I looked high and low ... EVERY CONCEIVABLE PLACE imaginable, for that card and it was just GONE.

The card itself wasn't a particularly big loss because I've pretty well retired that camera and have 2 other cards but ... my PROOF now ... was in "da poof" (as former PM Jean Chretien might say). My card had vanished -poof!

This loss hounded me for 3 days. I kept retracing my last activities in my mind and kept coming back to the same place: I HAD to have put it into the top drawer on my right hand side at my desk. I searched that drawer totally, removing every item and putting it all back ... probably a half dozen times. I lifted things and looked on the bottoms in case "static" might be sticking my card to it. I checked every surface of the drawer for "stickshion" -every square inch. It was at the point where I thought I might be developing a compulsive/obsessive disorder for searching that drawer.

Here's the drawer and contents. There isn't all that much inside of it ... right?

In the meantime, I'm listening to all the alternate media stuff on current events and getting so incredibly huffed by all the intentional evil and deception going on. Not sins of omission, but sins of deliberate and calculated COMmision ... and I said a prayer to the higher power(s). I said, "give me a sign that you are WORKING on people to get them woken up ... that the global elitists will be exposed and known fully by all. Make my camera card appear!"

But I'd heard this podcast one night where a paranormal researcher and convinced-er was speaking as guest. He related a story of how he'd been driving along a country road with his son one night, talking about finding proof of the paranormal and simply EXPRESSING one's desire for signs of proof. He told his son to go ahead ... ask for a sign ... be brave ... list specifics. So his son asked for proof in the next 3 miles. He asked that something very unusual would manifest itself.

At the end of the two miles, the dad stopped his car and asked his son if he saw it ... the proof? His son said no, he didn't. Then dad showed him something very strange. Through a crack in the asphalt of the road, there was this splendid sunflower plant growing ... about 4' high and in perfect shape! How strange is that? No cars ever hit it and mowed it down?

So I thought about that story when I "prayed" about my camera card re-appearing. I thought the sunflower plant story surely WAS rather amazing!

On January 9th, some time in the afternoon, I compulsively went back to that drawer again ... lifted the clear plastic box with nick-nacks inside of it and couldn't believe my eyes. There, laying flat on the bottom of the drawer with all the nice gold printed contacts showing ... was my camera card!

So ... believe it or not ... that's my resurrection story. The card apparently went to hell for 3 days and then came back into my drawer again!

The batteries on the other hand ... have not such a magnificent conclusion. After 3 days of sitting idle in the camera -even after being super charged and all- ... they fail to turn the camera on!~ They have to be HEATED UP in order to work and/but if they work ... they REALLY work!

-Vince
I get that sort of 'phenomena' quite a lot Vince. Things I KNOW where I put them, there's no one to move them, yet they vanish from sight and reappear either in the same spot or close by.
Again and again I doubt whether I really did put/ see them, then they pop up.

Regards batteries, place them on a radiator to revive them and prolong their life.
You could try to arrange a code re things seemingly vanishing and returning. Personalise and invite your invisible 'mover' to make a fuller contact as a sort of evidence of presence. And Good Luck in the search.

Seoc Colla
Seoc Colla

January 10th, 2012, 5:29 pm #4

Thanks for that interesting post about your experience. I keep throwing out, 4 AAs at a time, the batteries as soon as they no longer perform. Maybe next time I'll heat them (slightly?), hoping they will not explode. Will boiling temperature be too hot? But once they are back down to room temperature what then?
..... I read somewhere about some "entities" (of Ireland?), as I remember it, that have fun with people and hide "stuff" for some time; maybe your experience with that camera card provide some proof that this is true? But if it is true, then that raises a lot of questions! Or could it be that the card was there all the time but somehow your sight failed you for some time so that you didn't see it, and then came back to normal? Thanks in anticipation (TIA)!
Yes, this is how to make such discoveries. Mentally 'converse' with whoever and set simple tests to find if there is intelligence present.
Persevere and after some time it becomes possible to just hold a pen on some paper and ask for movement. Slowly and shakily it WILL come, building up to very sensible Q & A's that can be verified. So much seems to depend on attitude - assuming a superior master/servant relationship is quite likely to backfire. A sort of 'shorthand' with 'yes' 'no' 'cannot answer' saves time and energy plus leads to some sort of telepathic link, which takes much longer.

Batteries do well on a heating radiator, though not anywhere near boiling temperatures, perhaps a few hours at 70+C. It seems that a fully discharged battery restores very well several times

January 10th, 2012, 5:54 pm #5

I get that sort of 'phenomena' quite a lot Vince. Things I KNOW where I put them, there's no one to move them, yet they vanish from sight and reappear either in the same spot or close by.
Again and again I doubt whether I really did put/ see them, then they pop up.

Regards batteries, place them on a radiator to revive them and prolong their life.
You could try to arrange a code re things seemingly vanishing and returning. Personalise and invite your invisible 'mover' to make a fuller contact as a sort of evidence of presence. And Good Luck in the search.
The battery warming is really no big secret -and I should have thought of it before- but they produce electricity via chemical reaction and so ... making the internals warm, enhances the chemical reaction. One of the tricks I've heard, the military uses ... is to turn on the lights of their vehicles for a few minutes in cold weather, to enhance the cranking power. Using power heats the battery internals.

As for wanting to know about my "mover" ... ah, heh ... I'm not terribly excited about inviting such entities into my communication stream. There is Von Klumpen of course ... but he's a harmless old fool.

I can think of 3 incidents in my life that stand out ... where something has disappeared like that. One time a set of glasses disappeared on me. I came home, took them off and put them on the fridge and went to bed. They disappeared and I never saw them again.

Another time I came home and my keys were missing. I scrounged all of my pockets thoroughly (because I couldn't let myself into the building, eh?)

So I went back to the last two places I'd been and when someone asked me, "did you check your pockets" ... I could have belted him! What a stupid question. I checked my pockets though, kind of as an habitual response ... and there they were!

And then this last episode. There was no one around who could have taken my card and brought it back again.

-Vince

January 10th, 2012, 6:03 pm #6

Boiling water should be ok, I think. NiMh batteries DO have a safety valve on them that will pop at a certain pressure limit ... and release hydrogen. I've read though, that once the safety valve pops, the batteries lose substantial performance because they RELY on the hydrogen ions to make them work.

You could try immersing one of your old NiMh cells into boiling water, as a test ... and see if it sends out bubbles.

Now, I've heard at least one of my old NiMh cells pop when it was being charged -(they get pretty hot, eh)- but I never noticed any difference in performance afterward ... so I'm not sure about the veracity of popping out valuable hydrogen or not.

Did my sight fail? No. I can almost certainly vouch that my eyesight was just as good for the whole 3 days. Nope, it weren't no "oversight."

Now of course, that's not to say that "something" wasn't "blinding" me to the object I was looking for. But either way ... something about this experience was definitely abnormal.

-Vince

January 11th, 2012, 3:04 am #7

The battery warming is really no big secret -and I should have thought of it before- but they produce electricity via chemical reaction and so ... making the internals warm, enhances the chemical reaction. One of the tricks I've heard, the military uses ... is to turn on the lights of their vehicles for a few minutes in cold weather, to enhance the cranking power. Using power heats the battery internals.

As for wanting to know about my "mover" ... ah, heh ... I'm not terribly excited about inviting such entities into my communication stream. There is Von Klumpen of course ... but he's a harmless old fool.

I can think of 3 incidents in my life that stand out ... where something has disappeared like that. One time a set of glasses disappeared on me. I came home, took them off and put them on the fridge and went to bed. They disappeared and I never saw them again.

Another time I came home and my keys were missing. I scrounged all of my pockets thoroughly (because I couldn't let myself into the building, eh?)

So I went back to the last two places I'd been and when someone asked me, "did you check your pockets" ... I could have belted him! What a stupid question. I checked my pockets though, kind of as an habitual response ... and there they were!

And then this last episode. There was no one around who could have taken my card and brought it back again.

-Vince
se·nile (snl, snl)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of old age.
2. Relating to or exhibiting memory loss or mental impairment associated with aging.
3. Geology Worn away nearly to the base level, as at the end of an erosion cycle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Latin senlis, from senex, sen-, old; see sen- in Indo-European roots.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

senilely adv.
Word History: In earlier writings one finds phrases such as "a senile maturity of judgment" and "green and vigorous senility," demonstrating that senile and senility have not always been burdened with their current negative connotations. These two words are examples of pejoration, the process by which a word's meaning changes for the worse over time. Even though senile (first recorded in 1661) and senility (first recorded in 1778) initially had neutral senses such as "pertaining to old age" (the sense of their Latin source, the adjective senlis), it is probable that the mental decline that sometimes accompanies old age eventually caused negative senses to predominate. Although recent medical research has demonstrated that the memory and cognitive disorders once designated by senility are often caused by various diseases rather than the aging process itself, it seems unlikely that the word will regain its neutral senses.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

January 11th, 2012, 3:50 am #8

-Vince
I don't think there is any mystery, other than we sometimes just don't see, even when we look.

I locked my keys in my car once, while it was still running. It was 1am or something. The door to my home was unlocked, so I went inside to locate my spare keys in my desk drawer. They were gone!

So next morning I called my brother who had another spare set. He came over to let me in my car. Later that day I opened the desk drawer, and thre were my keys right there.

I just didn't see them. This has happened to me a few times, where things in plain sight I don't see. Usually beause they are not in a "usual" spot.

Bob
Bob

January 11th, 2012, 4:05 am #9

I can't see it, even when it is right in front of me. My wife will tell me it is there - i will look and look, methodically shelf by shelf, and then say to her "Its not here - I defy you to find it". Then she will come over and go right to it.

i understand - its a guy thing.

Now about women - wht do they always have to slam doors? I keep telling my wife that she is going to damage the hinges, but she never learns. - Ooops different topic.

January 11th, 2012, 7:48 am #10

So I ran some tests.

-Vince
One day she went to get her purse from her bag and it was not there. She had not been out since last using it. We both searched the entire house for it. A few days gone and no purse.

The front room had been cleaned and hoovered, we LIVED in that room in the main. Went to hoover for a second time and there the purse was, just barely under a chair, should have been in a fairly clear view wherever one was in that room.

We still both talk about this years later...

Other bits and pieces go missing not to be seen again. We reckon there is a room 'waiting somewhere' to be occupied full of known things...

But the purse returned, thank goodness!

Love
Jackie