"whl player" pleads guilty

"whl player" pleads guilty

August 24th, 2011, 3:05 am #1

according to the Calgary Herald.

story can be seen on Greg Harders blog. Seems to explain most of the situation.

August 24th, 2011, 3:32 am #2

kids are still being given a message that it's not that big of a deal to drink and drive in Alberta.

August 24th, 2011, 4:05 am #3

according to the Calgary Herald.

story can be seen on Greg Harders blog. Seems to explain most of the situation.

"The teen had also been charged with impaired driving causing death and driving over the .08 legal blood alcohol limit, but Vomberg dropped those charges after Meagher accepted his guilty plea."

Wow. He literally got away with murder.

August 24th, 2011, 4:18 am #4

This makes me sick he should face something for his ******** actions taking a persons life i wouldn't doubt if he was cowardly enough to crack open a beer and celebrate his verdict

August 24th, 2011, 4:25 am #5

"The teen had also been charged with impaired driving causing death and driving over the .08 legal blood alcohol limit, but Vomberg dropped those charges after Meagher accepted his guilty plea."

any time soon and if he is then I hope someone just gives him what he deserves.
""

August 24th, 2011, 6:50 am #6

How is being convicted for dangerous driving causing death getting away with it? Personally in this case I don't see it as murder this girl made a choice to ride with an impaired driver I would probably lean towards murder if he was to hit someone and kill them. Irregardless he made a terrible choice driving after consuming alcohol and he will have to live with the guilt for the rest of his life and deserves to be punished for what he has done.

August 24th, 2011, 7:31 am #7

Because he is guilty of 'impaired driving causing death and driving over the .08 legal blood alcohol limit'

August 24th, 2011, 12:07 pm #8

How is being convicted for dangerous driving causing death getting away with it? Personally in this case I don't see it as murder this girl made a choice to ride with an impaired driver I would probably lean towards murder if he was to hit someone and kill them. Irregardless he made a terrible choice driving after consuming alcohol and he will have to live with the guilt for the rest of his life and deserves to be punished for what he has done.

Being convicted of dangerous driving causing death doesn't always include a license suspension, much less than anything other than a fine and in extreme cases probation. If he would have been convicted of drunk driving causing death, he would have lost his license for a period of time as well as would have actually faced a felony sentence. To put it in perspective, the driver who killed WHL-alumni Michael Maniago (Ashley McElgunn) pled guilty to a similar sentence when the crown prosecutor dropped any alcohol-related charges. Her sentence? A $1000 fine with no license suspension.

In comparison to the current case, Maniago's murderer was an adult (21) so the "17 year old WHL player" will probably not have such a harsh fine as a young offender. So in short, Emily Matthewson's life will probably be worth a $500 fine.

August 24th, 2011, 1:53 pm #9

Admittedly he had been drinking, but there was no evidence of impairment (or being over .08).

Because he was only 17 at the time of the incident, he could have been charged with consumption, but that charge would be seen as not significant considering the other charges laid (and pled to).

August 24th, 2011, 3:22 pm #10

He had been out socializing with friends . . . There was some alcohol consumed, but we were unable to determine how much," Vomberg told the judge
********.unable to determine how much my ***.keep killing each other canadian kids.who's to stop you?