Tips Acquire Anderson from Wheat Kings

Tips Acquire Anderson from Wheat Kings

July 23rd, 2012, 6:48 pm #1

I don't understand the Tips Trading FOR a 20YO goalie. I assume they think Simpson (also 20) is not coming back....But I thought Lotz played well as the 16YO backup last season. I'm not sure why they would use an overager spot on a goalie. they will still be a rebuilding team.

July 24th, 2012, 12:59 am #2

Geordie Maguire. This is a solid trade for the WK's as Anderson (in my opinion) isn't even worth a 10th rounder.

The reality is that if the WK's couldn't trade him he would have been released.

July 24th, 2012, 3:23 am #3

I don't understand the Tips Trading FOR a 20YO goalie. I assume they think Simpson (also 20) is not coming back....But I thought Lotz played well as the 16YO backup last season. I'm not sure why they would use an overager spot on a goalie. they will still be a rebuilding team.
If Lotz backed up last year and they trade for a veteran 20 year old goalie they must not think Lotz is the guy yet. Desautels is a year older. He had a decent year in Flin Flon, what kind of message does that send to him?

July 24th, 2012, 5:13 am #4

Geordie Maguire. This is a solid trade for the WK's as Anderson (in my opinion) isn't even worth a 10th rounder.

I am not sure how the WK managed to get that deal but good for them. The Tips definitely gave up far to much for one of the most inconsistent goaltenders in the league. Add to that the fact that Anderson is now a 20 and the trade makes even less sense from the perspective of the Tips.

July 24th, 2012, 6:21 am #5

Here is more info from Nick Patterson with the link to the full article:

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201207 ... on-updated

First off, the deal is Anderson or a fifth-round bantam pick for Maguire. If Anderson plays for Everett, the pick is returned to Brandon. If Anderson plays pro, the Tips get the fifth rounder.

Secondly, Davidson said the crux of the deal wasn't Anderson, but Maguire. Davidson said he was not confident about being able to get Maguire to Everett. My understanding is Maguire is the son of two teachers and that education is very important to the family, and Davidson made it sound like Maguire isn't even committed to playing in the WHL. I also know the Tips tried to sign Maguire several times in the past, but to no avail. So in a sense this was a poor-man's version of the Seth Jones trade: Davidson getting what he could for a player who wasn't going to play for Everett

July 24th, 2012, 1:58 pm #6

If Lotz backed up last year and they trade for a veteran 20 year old goalie they must not think Lotz is the guy yet. Desautels is a year older. He had a decent year in Flin Flon, what kind of message does that send to him?
the same message every player sgould hear. you are going to have to actually earn your spot.