Thomas Hickey and LA Kings

Thomas Hickey and LA Kings

June 30th, 2012, 2:53 pm #1

With the LA Kings winning the cup this year and having a heck of a ride to the cup just wondering if Thomas Hickey will ever crack their lineup? He was the 4th overall pick in 2007 so I would think he is close right? Why did the Kings pick him 4th overall?

June 30th, 2012, 7:24 pm #2

Was picked 4th overall in 2007 because he was arguably the best draft eligible defense available. Unfortunately LA could not see into the future and know Hickey would require surgery for an ankle injury in Spring 2009 and surgery again in November 2009 for a shoulder injury that kept him off the ice till April. He has had 2 moderately successful FULL seasons now in the AHL under his belt and it will be interesting to see if he can make the jump.

June 30th, 2012, 11:00 pm #3

Your post is bang on concerning Hickey. Many people don't realize he was banged up for almost three continuous seasons playing through many very serious upper- and lower-body injuries. Last year he was the top defenseman on the Monarchs in both ends of the ice and was selected for the AHL All Star game. Hickey still oozes with natural talent and, to quote Randy, the ability to "process" at ultra high speeds. Don't be surprised to see Hickey crack the NHL this upcoming season, with the Kings or elsewhere, and even have an R-O-Y type of season.

June 30th, 2012, 11:17 pm #4

no reason.....just because I said so. And because he's from Calgary,and if healthy,could get top 5 minutes on either team.

July 1st, 2012, 1:00 am #5

I heard Alberta annexed Kelowna, its actually tax free... They heard about milf-oil and figured to get rich...

Ok comedy time over...

July 1st, 2012, 3:32 am #6

With the LA Kings winning the cup this year and having a heck of a ride to the cup just wondering if Thomas Hickey will ever crack their lineup? He was the 4th overall pick in 2007 so I would think he is close right? Why did the Kings pick him 4th overall?
As HF puts it....

Thomas Hickey, D, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)-1st Round, 4th Overall
Games Played in NHL: 0

Of the top 20 selections in the 2007 NHL draft, only Hickey, Logan MacMillan (selected by Anaheim 19th overall, now with Calgary) and Angelo Esposito (selected 20th overall by Pittsburgh, now with Dallas) have yet to make their NHL debut. At fourth overall, Hickey was an off-the-board selection, who has proven thus far that even a considerably lower pick would have been a squandered selection. He has been leapfrogged by relative unknowns within the organization such as Slava Voynov, Alec Martinez, and Jake Muzzin. Despite showing a bit more readiness this preseason, the Kings have repeatedly passed him over for a call-up and with good reason.

Billed as a skilled puck mover, Hickey has not overwhelmed anyone with his point totals for stretches, let alone seasons. Playing within an organization that values being hard to play against, Hickey has shown a game that lacks any semblance of competitive fire or physical sacrifice.

Or from the bleacher report...

NHL Draft: The 25 Worst First-Round Picks of the Last 25 Years

Defensemen usually have a slower ride to the NHL than offensive players, so Thomas Hickey still has a chance to make it to the big leagues.

With that being said, when you are the fourth overall pick in your draft, expectations are higher than normal.

To add a bit of insult to this pick by the Los Angeles Kings, Karl Alzner was chosen by the Washington Capitals with the very next pick.

To date, Alzner has played more than 200 NHL games, while Hickey has played none.

July 1st, 2012, 4:26 am #7

I think this answer my question and then some! Thanks!

July 1st, 2012, 4:43 am #8

As HF puts it....

Thomas Hickey, D, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)-1st Round, 4th Overall
Games Played in NHL: 0

Of the top 20 selections in the 2007 NHL draft, only Hickey, Logan MacMillan (selected by Anaheim 19th overall, now with Calgary) and Angelo Esposito (selected 20th overall by Pittsburgh, now with Dallas) have yet to make their NHL debut. At fourth overall, Hickey was an off-the-board selection, who has proven thus far that even a considerably lower pick would have been a squandered selection. He has been leapfrogged by relative unknowns within the organization such as Slava Voynov, Alec Martinez, and Jake Muzzin. Despite showing a bit more readiness this preseason, the Kings have repeatedly passed him over for a call-up and with good reason.

Billed as a skilled puck mover, Hickey has not overwhelmed anyone with his point totals for stretches, let alone seasons. Playing within an organization that values being hard to play against, Hickey has shown a game that lacks any semblance of competitive fire or physical sacrifice.

Or from the bleacher report...

NHL Draft: The 25 Worst First-Round Picks of the Last 25 Years

Defensemen usually have a slower ride to the NHL than offensive players, so Thomas Hickey still has a chance to make it to the big leagues.

With that being said, when you are the fourth overall pick in your draft, expectations are higher than normal.

To add a bit of insult to this pick by the Los Angeles Kings, Karl Alzner was chosen by the Washington Capitals with the very next pick.

To date, Alzner has played more than 200 NHL games, while Hickey has played none.
HF is not a credible source. It is clear by anybody that reads their site that its ran by a bunch of hockey dorks with nothing more than theoretical knowledge and narrowmindedness to offer. The guy that wrote that piece surely hasnt watched Hickey play enough to make that statement, and I really wouldnt be surprised if he hasnt watched him play regular season hockey at all.

Bleacher Report's blurb isnt really saying anything new that we dont know already.

The fact is that he is still a young player. The guy had some injury trouble to start his pro career in a defensive minded organizationm already with many high picks and depth. I think with a change of scenery(preferably to an organization open to dressing a skilled puck mover, opposed of using 5 defensive Dmen and the whiny Doughty), Hickey can be an impact player. Maybe not '4th overall' impact, but he certainly hasnt peaked.

July 1st, 2012, 3:20 pm #10

I heard Alberta annexed Kelowna, its actually tax free... They heard about milf-oil and figured to get rich...

Ok comedy time over...

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/arti ... id=dlvr.it