These dipshits need to realise that the guys REALLY getting concussed, and retiring, are..

These dipshits need to realise that the guys REALLY getting concussed, and retiring, are..

December 12th, 2011, 6:57 am #1

NOT always fighters, or even physical players!!....Sidney...Lafontaine. ~ How about, 'Check MY brain...you wanna come after these kids??...I'm a Man...I'm over FORTY..I'm a MAN.....I'm over 40!!' ~ and I guarantee I have 10x more Chronic Traumatic Encephalopy than ANY of these kids, OR any current NHL player. Start checking the brain of every single player that dies, and THEN decide if it's just because of fighting.

There is NO FIGHTING in the NFL, just constant collisions, like Pro Wrestling, which BTW, has never been fake....just pre-determined.
KASE KLOSED

December 12th, 2011, 3:14 pm #2

That you have more brain damage than your average hockey player than I would guess you won't get many arguments here.

Read that article about boogaard,300 fights before he was even drafted is asking toouch of anyone.

I'm not saying I'm against fighting but if that's the only reason a kid can make his way through midget to major junior to the NHL draft and then to the NHL then they are better off leaving hockey at the age of 14.

Just being able to fight wasn't good enough to get you into the NHL in 1970. Why is it today? Asking a kid to fight 300+ times between being drafted in the bantam draft to your NHL draft age is wrong.

-----------

"Now you wear your skin like iron
Your breath's as hard as kerosene"

December 12th, 2011, 9:21 pm #4

That you have more brain damage than your average hockey player than I would guess you won't get many arguments here.

Read that article about boogaard,300 fights before he was even drafted is asking toouch of anyone.

I'm not saying I'm against fighting but if that's the only reason a kid can make his way through midget to major junior to the NHL draft and then to the NHL then they are better off leaving hockey at the age of 14.

Just being able to fight wasn't good enough to get you into the NHL in 1970. Why is it today? Asking a kid to fight 300+ times between being drafted in the bantam draft to your NHL draft age is wrong.

-----------

Or are you just exaggerating for effect? I read the article and don't recall that. He only had 30 WHL fights max in his first two years in the WHL and I can't see him having 270 street/minor hockey fights before that. I will say that he probably had multiple undiagnosed concussions during his first year in the W when he was getting pounded on by seasoned WHL fight veterans game in and game out. I think a very high number of concussions at such a young age and in such a short period of time are the main catalyst for Derek's neural disintegration. So much head trauma at an age when your body (and brain) are still growing, especially when delivered in quick succession, must cause massive damage. I still can't get over the part where they test him and get him to write down every word he knows that starts with "R" and he couldn't come up with one. That hit me hard.

December 12th, 2011, 11:28 pm #5

Somewhere. I'm running out the door and I'll look for it later.

They're talking all his scraps at training camps, exhibition games, and what not.

Part of the answer is possibly banning fighting in training camps and in exhibition games.

This is something we really have to think about. Guys like Don Cherry, Dave Schultz, and a hundred others both played and fought alot. Some guys made it out better than others but nobody was suffering from early stages of dementia before they even hit 30.

Undoubtedly guys like Don Cherry played with concussions. But some of these enforcers, they fight like dogs through training camp, they fight like hell in the exhibition games, and they face the toughest customers in the league through regular season. I remember hearing that rocky thompson fought, and lost badly to Sandy Mcarty like 3 times in one day. That's a lot.

-----------