The real question is what does EV get

The real question is what does EV get

May 8th, 2012, 10:52 pm #1

Who cares if someone paid for him. If the tips get a good return than it is a moot point. however if they get anything less than a 2,3, and a solid player I would consider this a terrible deal. If this were the AMS and we got less I would be pissed. If they only get say a 2nd rounder back they are idiots IMO. I would have rolled the dice since if he only wanted to play for PDX they actually had the Hammer as the tips could just say screw it, go to college. Who gives a dang if a division rival is mad at you. This to me is much more important than How they got him. If it costs PDX to rent a player for 2 years and EV gets bettter then it is a win, win.

As a side note
Rumor is Jones is not the college type, if you look at some of the boards from ND Hockey they are saying (just rumors such as what is posted here) that he was not going to be able to cut the School life so really WHL was his only out. If I was EV I would have looked at his school records and played a game of chicken unless they got a ransom from PDX.

May 8th, 2012, 10:59 pm #2

Ben Betker and Mitchell Skapski

May 8th, 2012, 11:03 pm #3

Who cares if someone paid for him. If the tips get a good return than it is a moot point. however if they get anything less than a 2,3, and a solid player I would consider this a terrible deal. If this were the AMS and we got less I would be pissed. If they only get say a 2nd rounder back they are idiots IMO. I would have rolled the dice since if he only wanted to play for PDX they actually had the Hammer as the tips could just say screw it, go to college. Who gives a dang if a division rival is mad at you. This to me is much more important than How they got him. If it costs PDX to rent a player for 2 years and EV gets bettter then it is a win, win.

As a side note
Rumor is Jones is not the college type, if you look at some of the boards from ND Hockey they are saying (just rumors such as what is posted here) that he was not going to be able to cut the School life so really WHL was his only out. If I was EV I would have looked at his school records and played a game of chicken unless they got a ransom from PDX.
I'm doubtful we have Jones for 2 years. It's not an impossibility, but it's a long shot based on the scouting reports.

Second, what Everett gets out of this is up for debate on it being a good deal or not. The obvious conclusion to come to is that a great player like Jones demands a high price, but that isn't necessarily the case here.

Everett is looking at getting nothing out of Jones without a deal - he was a lock to not report there. With that in mind, you can bet there are only a handful of teams out there who he probably would report to, and on top of that, chances are even less are actually looking at him in a serious manner.

Everett has nothing to lose here, and everything to gain. They're at no risk of competitive disadvantage in giving Portland a good player (because they will be rebuilding for a few years to come), and they weren't getting anything to begin with.

a 2 or 3 and a player would probably sound reasonable, but it wouldn't really be shocking to see a couple of picks and no player, either.

It's a win/win for both teams, honestly.

May 8th, 2012, 11:18 pm #4

I disagree but that does not make me right.

Several ways to look at it but here is how I would.

Even if he was forced to play for Tips or nowhere in the DUB, it sends a message that when the Tips draft you they will not play ball and allow a prospect to decide where he plays. To me an organization gains respect there. It is all subjective but an example is below.

If you take a bad deal for example and say they get only a 2nd rounder back. They in essence only slightly upgraded their team. It also gave a division rival a great player which makes their team better and perhaps allows them to go deep in the playoffs running that 2nd rounder to a much lower pick. It also showcases another rival and the next time they draft high (and they will as they are rebuilding) the next prospect tells them to kick rocks as he know the lower team (Tips in this case) will send him where he wants as they have a record of doing so. If he wants to go to a winner he can get sent there. This alleviates the draft as the players that are picked high decide where they go, so the lower teams takes longer to rebuild, or perhaps never get out of the cycle. Same thing that happened to Max Domi case.

Ask yourself this. Would you rather have your team make a bad deal, then make no deal at all? I for one would say no deal is better than a bad one. We are all different and there is no right or wrong answer.

May 8th, 2012, 11:32 pm #5

Will get something rather than playing hardball. Jones was not going to a rebuilding everett team so Davidson probably got the best deal he could.

The hawks took chances and drafted his brother and hope that would help sign Seth. It worked and Portland lands a big fish and Everett gets some players in return even though they appeared were going to get Nothing if he did not report. So it is a win /win for both teams.

May 9th, 2012, 12:00 am #6

I disagree but that does not make me right.

Several ways to look at it but here is how I would.

Even if he was forced to play for Tips or nowhere in the DUB, it sends a message that when the Tips draft you they will not play ball and allow a prospect to decide where he plays. To me an organization gains respect there. It is all subjective but an example is below.

If you take a bad deal for example and say they get only a 2nd rounder back. They in essence only slightly upgraded their team. It also gave a division rival a great player which makes their team better and perhaps allows them to go deep in the playoffs running that 2nd rounder to a much lower pick. It also showcases another rival and the next time they draft high (and they will as they are rebuilding) the next prospect tells them to kick rocks as he know the lower team (Tips in this case) will send him where he wants as they have a record of doing so. If he wants to go to a winner he can get sent there. This alleviates the draft as the players that are picked high decide where they go, so the lower teams takes longer to rebuild, or perhaps never get out of the cycle. Same thing that happened to Max Domi case.

Ask yourself this. Would you rather have your team make a bad deal, then make no deal at all? I for one would say no deal is better than a bad one. We are all different and there is no right or wrong answer.

Everett already set a precedence that its ok to refuse to report when they traded Maxwell.

May 9th, 2012, 12:07 am #7

Maxwell was under Dougs GM tenure

May 9th, 2012, 12:07 am #8

Everett already set a precedence that its ok to refuse to report when they traded Maxwell.
Maxwell was under Dougs GM tenure

May 9th, 2012, 12:07 am #9

So was Jones when drafted...

May 9th, 2012, 12:10 am #10

But NEW GM now so Maxwell and Jones are 2 different conversations. Maxwell is gone Jones was not.