Seattle NHL update

Seattle NHL update

July 29th, 2012, 4:52 am #1

Wayne Gretzky and Don Levin were in Seattle thursday floating the idea of bringing the NHL and NBA to Seattle. Bellvue to be specific.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports ... nhl-arena/

July 29th, 2012, 7:14 pm #2

Seattle cannot get very many folks to T bird games,Mariner games etc. and they want ot expand to more professional sports? That makes little economic sense really.

I got to think a pipe dream is what is happening.

July 29th, 2012, 7:43 pm #3

Aren't sure why they aren't going to the T-birds games but I know they aren't going to the Mariners and won't until they get rid of that bunch of old could care less owners who shouldn't be allowed in the MLB. They have no interest in fielding a decent team just want the tax write-off (wait, maybe that's part of the T-birds problem as well).

July 29th, 2012, 8:44 pm #4

Seattle cannot get very many folks to T bird games,Mariner games etc. and they want ot expand to more professional sports? That makes little economic sense really.

I got to think a pipe dream is what is happening.
A number of cities of comprable size have mlb, nba, nfl, and nhl. Seattle will do fine. Although portland would be even better imho.

July 29th, 2012, 9:29 pm #5

Aren't sure why they aren't going to the T-birds games but I know they aren't going to the Mariners and won't until they get rid of that bunch of old could care less owners who shouldn't be allowed in the MLB. They have no interest in fielding a decent team just want the tax write-off (wait, maybe that's part of the T-birds problem as well).

July 30th, 2012, 12:23 am #6

A number of cities of comprable size have mlb, nba, nfl, and nhl. Seattle will do fine. Although portland would be even better imho.
The Mariners will be done with their Root TV contract in a couple of years and looking for partners like NBA/NHL teams to own their own sports network. The revenue from owning both sides of the tv is huge. They want to do what the Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins have done with Nesn.

Maybe Gretsky and Levin need to talk to kw before making a huge mistake? I say go for it.

July 30th, 2012, 1:09 am #7

Seattle could not keep a nba team there,the mariners have horrible attendance compared to any other team with their size market.

If Paul Allen did not own the seachickens that team likely would have moved already.

Gretzky is not foolish enough to waste his hard earned money in seattle. Again, sounds like wishful thinking in my view, but good luck.

July 30th, 2012, 2:14 am #8

The Mariners have proven they can fill Safeco if they put a winning product on the field. The Sonics have proved the same thing and were selling out the Key routinely in the 90s. The Sonics left because they were sold out by their wretched owner. There was a local group lead by Steve Ballmer that wanted to buy the team and work with local legislators to build a new arena. The NBA scuttled that attempt because Clay Bennett David Stern feed in the same shark tank. The T-Birds situation is very unique as well. Despite having a horrible seasons they still are drawing okay particularly in the second half of the season. If they had something to play for surely they would draw better. Why didn't you mention the Sounders, the #1 draw in MLS? Or the Huskies who will sell out if they have decent teams? You make it sounds like Seattle can't support a team but history says different. Being the 12th biggest market makes it potentially lucrative. Seattle is a fair weather city, I will give you that. if you put out a winning team city will go nuts for it. Just look at the 96 Sonics, 95/01 Mariners, and the Seahawks(who seem to keep the Clink full despite not being so hot). I am personally hesitant about the NHL because I worry it might displace junior hockey. Some of the most brilliant business minds want to invest here. That should tell you something.

July 30th, 2012, 2:48 pm #9

If you win in the Seattle market, they will come, plain and simple. As for the T Birds attendance there is no doubt in my mind that they would pack their building every night if they had some type of sucess on the ice, not making the playoffs the last years does not help this, and also there 2011 first round draft pick(Ryan Gropp) is leaning the college route, no good for a team that is tyring to rebuild.

July 30th, 2012, 9:59 pm #10

Best post for months.If you win they will be there. What have the Mariners,Hawks or T-Bird ever won NUTTING