Russia KO's Canada 2-1

Russia KO's Canada 2-1

May 13th, 2011, 7:09 am #1

Ruskies score 2 goals in the 3rd period to knock Canada out of the World Championships. The rivalry continues to be a good one, Russia showing heart again winning the WJC and now the IIHF WC. Kovalchuk with the game winner. To be fair it was a Toronto Maple Leaf in net so you had to know they weren't going to win it all right? And how about the Russian goalie, Vladimir Whatshisnameski? He stole the game for the Russians big time.

May 13th, 2011, 11:56 am #2

Reimer wasn't in net, it was Jonathan Bernier.

Was it really Team Canada when there's a defensive pairing of Marc Methot & Marc-Andre Gragnani? The world championships rank behind the MC, Stanley Cup and even the Calder Cup in our list.

May 13th, 2011, 1:57 pm #3

this tournament is the pinnacle and I think it is a great way to measure our depth as a nation. Sure some of the best are competing in the Stanley Cup finals but its the same for all of the countries. I like this tournament its a great chance for Canada to build its program and they have done a great job of bringing in young guys to prepare for moving towards the bigger stage.

World championships is a cool tournament and I would certainly be attending if it was held in Calgary.

May 13th, 2011, 2:10 pm #4

Makes sense, the tournament can be the pinnacle for the European world and a testing ground for Canadian/American youth on the international stage. As for the tournament in Calgary, we'd rather see the MC here instead a million times over.

Now the WJHC...that's a different matter - we've had our tickets bought and paid for since December 2009!

May 13th, 2011, 2:20 pm #5

I am excited about the WJC and I would love a memorial cup but I wouldn't complain about the world's and the truth is we all know, until the craptastic flames move into a new building there will be no MC or World's.

I kind of think you undervalue this tournament. You are a guy who traveled to see an AHL game and gave us a great update on Kozun and Jones but you don't appreciate the World's... why? Seems to me you fancy yourself a well rounded hockey fan, and in all fairness anyone willing to do the kind of travel you do to see different levels of hockey is at the very least a pretty good fan of the sport. So dismissive. Is it because Canada lost? I think its good for Canada to lose some of these things, it shows the rest of the world is catching up and the playing field is getting more exciting. The game against the Swiss was awesome and showed a country that is so close to developing a competitive program. This is just good for a sport that we all love. I don't think its fair to compare the different events. They are all different and all are events I would love to be a part of. I have been to a couple memorial cups and they are truly awesome events (thanks JHJ) and I am excited to attend WJC and imagine it will be equally cool for a whole set of other reasons.

May 13th, 2011, 2:39 pm #6

Was it really Team Canada when there's a defensive pairing of Marc Methot & Marc-Andre Gragnani? The world championships rank behind the MC, Stanley Cup and even the Calder Cup in our list.
You're right, in North American the World Championships are considered a second-tier tournament. But as Brandon pointed out, everywhere else in the hockey world, the Worlds are #2 on the list of importance, behind only the Olympics.

I wish Canadian players took this tournament more seriously. 14 of the 30 NHL teams missed the playoffs and 8 more went out in the first round before the Worlds began. That's 22 NHL teams worth of players who were available to play for Canada and still Canada had to play with some players who were marginal NHLers or even AHL players this year.

To me, that's crap...there were 200+ Canadian full-time NHLers who had nothing else on their schedule until September and they couldn't get 22 of them to wear their country's colors in a tournament that most of the world views as a major prize. Very disappointing to me as a Canadian hockey fan.

May 13th, 2011, 2:52 pm #7

I am excited about the WJC and I would love a memorial cup but I wouldn't complain about the world's and the truth is we all know, until the craptastic flames move into a new building there will be no MC or World's.

I kind of think you undervalue this tournament. You are a guy who traveled to see an AHL game and gave us a great update on Kozun and Jones but you don't appreciate the World's... why? Seems to me you fancy yourself a well rounded hockey fan, and in all fairness anyone willing to do the kind of travel you do to see different levels of hockey is at the very least a pretty good fan of the sport. So dismissive. Is it because Canada lost? I think its good for Canada to lose some of these things, it shows the rest of the world is catching up and the playing field is getting more exciting. The game against the Swiss was awesome and showed a country that is so close to developing a competitive program. This is just good for a sport that we all love. I don't think its fair to compare the different events. They are all different and all are events I would love to be a part of. I have been to a couple memorial cups and they are truly awesome events (thanks JHJ) and I am excited to attend WJC and imagine it will be equally cool for a whole set of other reasons.
Definitely the Flames/Hitmen relationship has been talked about already - we can't complain.

As for the WHC, we both have never really been interested in the hockey tournament itself and maybe that's us. There's so much good hockey going on right now and the WHC really ranks low on the scale despite the good for Canada or cheering for alumni like Ladd. It has nothing to do with Canada winning or losing - maybe instead of some "euopean face-washing", we could stand to see a fight or two on the international level? Who knows, it motivates us about as much as wanting to go out and buy a Skoda...

Probably the best thing about the WHC if ever to go to a game would be the culture; when going anywhere one of the best things is the chance to meet new people, see new arenas, experience other game-day culture, etc. Even this next year it's going to be interesting to see the reverse side of the coin: getting a chance to see fans and the teams of nations like Slovakia, Latvia, Switzerland, Sweden and Russia through the round-robin and to hear what they think of Calgary.

May 13th, 2011, 2:57 pm #8

There's how many hockey players in Canada? To many to count. Ive heard people say Canada could easily have two good Team Canada's at international events. Wonder where those people are now. Saying that Canada didnt have it's best players there is a lame excuse.
""

May 13th, 2011, 3:45 pm #9

Definitely the Flames/Hitmen relationship has been talked about already - we can't complain.

As for the WHC, we both have never really been interested in the hockey tournament itself and maybe that's us. There's so much good hockey going on right now and the WHC really ranks low on the scale despite the good for Canada or cheering for alumni like Ladd. It has nothing to do with Canada winning or losing - maybe instead of some "euopean face-washing", we could stand to see a fight or two on the international level? Who knows, it motivates us about as much as wanting to go out and buy a Skoda...

Probably the best thing about the WHC if ever to go to a game would be the culture; when going anywhere one of the best things is the chance to meet new people, see new arenas, experience other game-day culture, etc. Even this next year it's going to be interesting to see the reverse side of the coin: getting a chance to see fans and the teams of nations like Slovakia, Latvia, Switzerland, Sweden and Russia through the round-robin and to hear what they think of Calgary.
They make some nice class cars . But in all seriousness, true there is good hockey going on right now but soon there will be no hockey and wouldn't you want to eat up every minute you can? I get that the games aren't at great times but its worth following and knowing how teams did. Maybe I am the wrong guy to wonder. I love being at a game whatever it is. Have been able to make Alberta Cup this year as well as a couple of spring league games since the minor schedule has ended. Watched some great playoff hockey for the WHL on shaw and some pretty exciting NHL hockey in the past month. But I also have tuned in for some of the WHC when I get a chance and found it a blast to watch too. Give it a chance, each level of hockey has something to offer, something a little different.

You don't have to put it above the MC or WJC or AHL or NHL on your list but I don't think you want to dismiss it.

If you come to the games for just the fighting, I am confused as to why you don't try MMA? I love a good hockey tilt but have seen many a great game without it. I think a good tilly is a part of the game and don't see a problem with it happening, but if you will watch the WJC you can't use lack of player aggression as your reasoning.

May 13th, 2011, 3:54 pm #10

There's how many hockey players in Canada? To many to count. Ive heard people say Canada could easily have two good Team Canada's at international events. Wonder where those people are now. Saying that Canada didnt have it's best players there is a lame excuse.
not excuses its FACTS