Quick question for the posters who disagree with The Host Team

Quick question for the posters who disagree with The Host Team

May 29th, 2012, 3:18 am #1

format. How do you think the tournament could be set up differently and what would be the consequences of not having a host? I know where I stand and the reasons.....how about some opinions?

Good day

May 29th, 2012, 4:54 am #2

If you can get past the 3 league champions, then you're good enough to hold the Memorial Cup. People will whine and cry about the host team winning till they have no breath in their body. Thats just the way some people are.

Lets face facts: Theres a host team, the host team gets to play, and the host city gets excited about it. You think that they wouldve squeezed nearly 1000 people over full capacity in that arena if shawinigan wasnt there? No way. Its a longer tournament with the hosts(4th team) involved and its better for ticket sales too.

May 29th, 2012, 4:55 am #3

On the Memorial Cup where it says "Shawinigan Cataractes" Is there an asterix saying back door, or host team? No, there is not.

May 29th, 2012, 8:38 am #4

But it is almost everywhere else.

May 29th, 2012, 10:01 am #5

format. How do you think the tournament could be set up differently and what would be the consequences of not having a host? I know where I stand and the reasons.....how about some opinions?

Good day
And I'm not sure there is, presently, a way to do it any differently- taking into consideration ticket pre-sales, hotel rooms, promotion, etc.

A perfect situation would be to have a 4th league and a neutral site, obviously. But where are you going to find a neutral site in Canada (or the US) big enough for the event that doesn't already host a CHL team. It would be great to have something set up like the US College World Series, where teams qualify for the round-robin tournament and it's held in the same place every year.

But that would take an entire re-structering of the current playoff format and that just ain't happenin', especially with the Uber Commissioner ('Mr. Branch') in charge.

Not sure what the answer is but if fans keep pushing for a change, you never know. Hell, they are actually talking about actually having a true playoff to determine the NCAA football championship, after how many years of trying to figure it out. Like anything else these days, it's all about the almighty $$$$.

I guess there's always hope..........

IMHO

CHIEFS-COP

May 29th, 2012, 10:15 am #6

On the Memorial Cup where it says "Shawinigan Cataractes" Is there an asterix saying back door, or host team? No, there is not.

There's crap imprinted all over this world that doesn't mean jack squat...What's your point?
IMO many fans, possibly the majority of real CHL fans, know what true Champions to respect that earned it and which teams were "so so" Champions who benefited/won it only because they hosted. Everyone has said it at one time or another, including you...any team can win on a given night. Is getting bounced in your own league then being reinserted because you're the host and winning on a given night or 2 to be respected as a true champion? Naaaah...There's always going to be dynasty teams in ever sport but back door champions will never fall into that category in this one IMO. Maybe for some sticker collecters like yourself who are choading over your upcoming chance to play a few good nights of hockey and call yourself champions.....but....your boys will never be respected unless they earn it like other true champions. The hard way............

jmo

May 29th, 2012, 12:15 pm #7

Good day
Option A: The three league champions play each other in a home and home series, with the top two teams playing a one-game final played in the #1 seed's rink. If teams 2 and 3 are tied after the round-robin portion, the winner of their home-and-home based on goal differential plays in the final against the top seed. It means a bit more flying around, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be much more expensive than the current format - really you are only making three return flights, tops.

Option B: Similar to the current format, but with a twist. Instead of the host team defending, the previous year's champs get the right defend as hosts. This is less arbitrary than the current format (at least you can argue that last year's champs deserve a title defence), and also forces teams to try and stay competitive over longer periods of time - teams might be much less willing to sell the farm in 2012 when they very well could be back to defend in 2013, for instance.

Of these two, I prefer the first format.

May 29th, 2012, 2:19 pm #8

Good day
First off I don't like the host idea which isn't anything new as I have stated it. As for what can be done with the tournament or format that is the issue. The format was changed in 1983 to include the host club. Not sure if Portland had trouble and concern about selling tickets.

On one side having the host team involved will boost ticket sales. But the idea of a team who hosts it and is guaranteed a birth in the Memorial Cup and plain sucks is a concern. Vancouver was scheduled to host it in 1986 with the second New Westminster Bruins being the host team to tie into Expo 86. Hotel costs went through the roof and the team didn't make the WHL playoffs. Lucky the site was changed so Portland hosted back to back Memorial Cups. If it had gone ahead the Bruins would not have played a game from March 16 or so till May 16 (a two month break).

As VO #23 stated there are two options and the first choice with the three champions hosting the Memorial Cup games home and away basis and the first place team hosting the final maybe the best idea here. Advance ticket sales will be non-existant but there will be interest in the tickets in the short term. However travel plans to go to the Memorial Cup will have to be delayed. Fans will support their home team in this case. The other option is out because of player turnover. While St. John would have been okay this year what if they had won the tournament as expected. They would have been the fourth team next year returning just six players plus three overagers among the twenty three guys on their current roster. Likely wouldn't be competitive next season.

There is also the option of just going with the three league champions in a pre-determined site which is what was in effect prior to the 1983 tournament. There you have the advance planning involved and can sell tickets well in advance to off set some lost tickets sales from not having a local team involved.

If it ever comes down to a fourth league involved be it by a breakup of the Q into Quebec teams and Maritime teams or the Dub breaking up into a Prairie league and Western League than the four champion teams could play down in say a couple best of fives and than a best of five final (or best of seven). Best of fives would likely keep the timing of the final ending prior to June though.

May 29th, 2012, 3:16 pm #9

But it is almost everywhere else.
IMO on the Cup is where it matters the most.

May 29th, 2012, 3:20 pm #10

There's crap imprinted all over this world that doesn't mean jack squat...What's your point?
IMO many fans, possibly the majority of real CHL fans, know what true Champions to respect that earned it and which teams were "so so" Champions who benefited/won it only because they hosted. Everyone has said it at one time or another, including you...any team can win on a given night. Is getting bounced in your own league then being reinserted because you're the host and winning on a given night or 2 to be respected as a true champion? Naaaah...There's always going to be dynasty teams in ever sport but back door champions will never fall into that category in this one IMO. Maybe for some sticker collecters like yourself who are choading over your upcoming chance to play a few good nights of hockey and call yourself champions.....but....your boys will never be respected unless they earn it like other true champions. The hard way............

jmo

Well in my humble opinoin, if you can knock off 3 league champions in 4 nights you deserve the cup. The CHL also feels the same way. Thats just the way it is. Might as well accept it instead of just letting it bother you everytime a host wins.