NHL free agents: Justin Schultz to sign with Edmonton Oilers

NHL free agents: Justin Schultz to sign with Edmonton Oilers

June 30th, 2012, 9:57 pm #1

June 30th, 2012, 11:59 pm #2

July 1st, 2012, 12:27 am #3

because they NEED someone to NOW. But for a 22 year old,who has not played a game of Pro Hockey,to be demanding GUARANTEED minutes.....WTF?
Does he understand that 94% on NHL players cut their teeth in the AHL for sometime? Is he a more desirable asset than someone like Cody Franson....is he further along than Connauton? Did he watch Ovechkin sit in the playoffs?? WTF is "guaranteed minutes"..is that put in your contract....do you take your ball and go home if they aren't met. absurd

KASE adourned

July 1st, 2012, 12:36 am #4

boy do i feel stupid

July 1st, 2012, 3:22 pm #5

He said in an interview he didn`t ask for guaranteed minutes or a guaranteed roster spot. If you believe everything you read in the media, or hear from the media then you may not be getting the truth. As for being spoiled or a baby, all the time we hear people bemoan athletes who go to the big market teams or big money teams or teams who are perennial powerhouses. Here we have a young kis who is going to a team that has been 27th-30th for as long as we can remember,and now he is being called spoiled...so what should he have done....he had an out and he took it and he went somewhere he wanted to go. the same way you or I have the right to work where we want. blame the agreement, not the kid for doing what is best for him. or do blame him. i am sure he will be okay if you do.

July 1st, 2012, 8:40 pm #6

That being to show the expression of gratitude towards the team that drafted him. the organization did him a favor rather than the other way around. Instead though, he puts on his lebron James headband, holds out on the organization who drafted him, and 'takes his talents' to a team of his choice.

To me, i accept this situation more in common with me saying that i dont need to wait in line at the super market, because I want to go right nowe and I think im more important. Rather than this being righteously ambitious, I think its selfish and childish. They feel they are more important and that they dont have to do the time like everyone else.

I know the integrity of professional sports reaches an all time low every year, but even if there is a loophole that could be exploited, doesnt mean it should be taken. But one thing that really gets me though is this attitude that all of this is ok. I pretty much expect the scummy media to play along, but though I pretty much disagree with anything you say, Im still surprised that you think its OK for agents and their teeny bopper clients to set precedents like this(since I doubt he is the last guy to do this). If anything, the extra efforts to come off as genuine and humble make enoguh smoke to detect the fire.

July 1st, 2012, 9:57 pm #7

He said in an interview he didn`t ask for guaranteed minutes or a guaranteed roster spot. If you believe everything you read in the media, or hear from the media then you may not be getting the truth. As for being spoiled or a baby, all the time we hear people bemoan athletes who go to the big market teams or big money teams or teams who are perennial powerhouses. Here we have a young kis who is going to a team that has been 27th-30th for as long as we can remember,and now he is being called spoiled...so what should he have done....he had an out and he took it and he went somewhere he wanted to go. the same way you or I have the right to work where we want. blame the agreement, not the kid for doing what is best for him. or do blame him. i am sure he will be okay if you do.
not a wildcard.

July 1st, 2012, 10:41 pm #8

That being to show the expression of gratitude towards the team that drafted him. the organization did him a favor rather than the other way around. Instead though, he puts on his lebron James headband, holds out on the organization who drafted him, and 'takes his talents' to a team of his choice.

To me, i accept this situation more in common with me saying that i dont need to wait in line at the super market, because I want to go right nowe and I think im more important. Rather than this being righteously ambitious, I think its selfish and childish. They feel they are more important and that they dont have to do the time like everyone else.

I know the integrity of professional sports reaches an all time low every year, but even if there is a loophole that could be exploited, doesnt mean it should be taken. But one thing that really gets me though is this attitude that all of this is ok. I pretty much expect the scummy media to play along, but though I pretty much disagree with anything you say, Im still surprised that you think its OK for agents and their teeny bopper clients to set precedents like this(since I doubt he is the last guy to do this). If anything, the extra efforts to come off as genuine and humble make enoguh smoke to detect the fire.

That's who needs to play. Get Rome and Alberts out of there. I would like to see another top 4 puck carrying D-man to replace Salo brought in but not an unproven rookie. I think Matt Carle could fit into the Nucks system nicely.

Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler-Salo
Ballard-Tanev/Connauton

July 1st, 2012, 10:43 pm #9

doubled his salary and moved to the greatest city in the world. Smart guy, Sami...

July 2nd, 2012, 1:59 am #10

Well then I, SJA, feel as though I must be doing things right much of the time on here. Woe to me, if you and I are like minded.

As for Schultz, and your fantasy that pro athletes should be grateful and indebted to the team that drafts them.

The work and sacrifice that goes into becoming a pro is all consuming, and in the end, the player is there to make the owner money. When he gets hurt, or shows any humanness at all, he is gone like yesterday's grabage.

So, putting the NHL's gluttonous/money grubbing owners in the category of worthy of loyal is ridiculous.

Me thinks you are simply resentful, because deep down inside you would play for free wherever they told you to.

Justin Schultz wouldn't. He will risk life, spine, limb, larynx and his brain, to put money in his owner's pocket. If he takes as much a cut as possible, then he should if he wants to.

If he wants to do an aw shucks, just happy to be there, then that is fine.

Gordie Howe did that for years, and spent a good portion of his twilight years pimping himself out for cash at events and cards shows.

Perhaps this can be the one time you and I agree that there is nothing wrong with keeping oneself from the indignation of leaving money and career choice on the table.

Justin Schultz has worked his hole off to get where he is. If you don't like the flexibility that provides, then I am sure he will get on okay.