Myles Bell

Myles Bell

April 30th, 2011, 8:18 pm #1

Was seriously injured in a car accident outside of Calgary last night and a girl in the car was killed. Thoughts go out to the families and hope that he can recover quickly.

April 30th, 2011, 8:36 pm #2

That bell is ok and sad that someone lost there life lets just hope bell wasn't the driver if he was he is in a world of trouble

April 30th, 2011, 8:45 pm #3

Because the driver is only 17, the police are not going to identify him even when he is charged. Neither is any other media outlet since that is an offence in Canada. So we'll only have speculation, never anything official about whether Bell was driving or not.

April 30th, 2011, 8:55 pm #4

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/ ... al_110430/

Speculate all one wants. According to the above story it sounds like a single car accident with a 17 year old driver now in hospital. No other passengers mentioned other than the unfortunate loss of life. It seems Myles has made a very unfortunate life changing choice. Condolences to the families.

April 30th, 2011, 9:13 pm #5

I agree, we can all put 2 and 2 together and draw our own conclusions about what has happened.

What I mean is that there isn't going to be anyone reporting the name. That is all. So, nothing will be known "officially".

April 30th, 2011, 9:14 pm #6

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/ ... al_110430/

Speculate all one wants. According to the above story it sounds like a single car accident with a 17 year old driver now in hospital. No other passengers mentioned other than the unfortunate loss of life. It seems Myles has made a very unfortunate life changing choice. Condolences to the families.
"Police say that alcohol and speed are factors in the collision."

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/pcvi-cpcv/id-cafa.html

"When an impaired driver kills someone, the impaired driver can be charged with impaired driving causing death. This is an indictable offence with a maximum punishment of life imprisonment."

Even though "the driver" is only 17, he could easily be tried as an adult if the Crown prosecutor chooses to do so.

April 30th, 2011, 9:48 pm #7

If speed and alcohol were a factor, then RCMP will lay charges against the driver; however, that's no guarantee that the driver will ever serve a day behind bars. There's more than a few examples of cases where judges have stayed charges or have handed conditional sentences, especially to defendants under 18.

Even in the most malicious drunk driving charges, offenders usually get under 3 years with time served: a BC lady who was blitzed and ran over a 4 year-old was given 2 1/2 years in October and with time served is eligible for parole this July. The guy from Red Deer who was over 3 times the legal limit and killed a couple and orphaned 5 kids was just sentenced to 2 years,3 months and is eligible for parole in January 2012. Whomever the driver is could be given a year or less, might not even need to serve the sentence in an Alberta institution, and within a couple of years receive a full pardon.

April 30th, 2011, 9:50 pm #8

The following is the statement issued by Regina Pats President/Governor, Brent Parker:

The purpose of calling you all here today is to inform you of a serious car accident involving a member of the Regina Pats.Myles Bell.

The accident took place early this morning in Calgary and I regret that not only has this accident left Myles in hospital but has resulted in the death of a young lady from Regina.

At this point in time we do not know enough details to comment about the circumstances surrounding the accident and we will wait for the authorities to give us this information before we comment.

This is an incredibly difficult situation for me and our family as we are close with the young lady who died, as she was a close friend of our daughter. She was a beautiful young lady and she will be missed!

Chad and Russ are in Calgary and at the hospital with Myles and his family but we do not have a status report on the extent of Myles injuries at this time.

We ask that both families be shown some courtesy at this difficult time and that all media inquiries be directed through Chad or myself. We will update you again later today on Myles situation. The tragedy here is the loss of life and we will not lose sight of this but we will support Myles as a member of our organization as he deals with this situation.

April 30th, 2011, 10:38 pm #9

I can only really communicate that it's a tragedy. I certainly feel for the families and the girl who was killed.

It's a definite black mark on the league.

-----------

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair and beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back."

April 30th, 2011, 10:45 pm #10

What does the league have to do with this accident?????????