Marc Habscheid

Marc Habscheid

January 1st, 2012, 8:21 pm #1

Here is what his image is and I can't say if it is right but are all things going around. A good coach but a not great manager. Very driven and doesn't treat people well and maybe even feels the olympic thing and early success makes people need to bow down a but. He is looked at as a user by some including his relatioships in the game even though he was never really popular. there is a view that he got his kid in the league. I haven't seen him much, but that is the word. there is a perception that he really went after Chynoweth's job in Swift and also his head coach in Boston. He was passed up by Swift on a couple occasions and spent a few years looking hard for work and couldn't get it at WHL level. He supposedly bullies people including staff and for sure guys in the lower levels. His staff and scouts are supposed to be on edge and have admitted that at times. My personal feeling is that he appears very ambitious and maybe wanted it all a little too quickly and maybe has brought his career to a head a bit quicker than he had to. He may have been successful at one time, but he is in a mess right now.

January 1st, 2012, 9:58 pm #2

enlightens us more about SOME fans in Victoria than Habschied himself. Half season in Victoria and you're throwing him under the bus?

Anyone thats followed the Dub knows what a succesful coach he has been. Ask the Kelowna fans what they think of him.
Careful what you wish for...

January 1st, 2012, 11:07 pm #3

In Kelowna he had Bruce Hamilton and Lorne Frey pumping his team with the best of the best players. His time with this team in Victoria is actually 2 and a half years because he has built it in Chilliwack. The last time Habscheid was a gm was in tier 2 and he ran the team into the ground and it's player list took about 7 years to recover.

January 1st, 2012, 11:12 pm #4

And don't forget that Kelowna raided the NCAA and tier 2 leagues to get that title and paid out some great dough to win that title. If Hamilton hadn't opened up the bank for Keith, Kobasew and found Guard and Weber when nobody else wanted them, they may not have even won a game at that tourney.

January 1st, 2012, 11:25 pm #5

Kobasew and Keith played in other years but the mem cup team did have a lot of guys who developed in tier 2 and were listed and signed later than most. Either way Habscheid is a talented coach but there is no doubt that the team had the best scouting and gm in a long time and he had a lot to work with.

January 1st, 2012, 11:41 pm #6

Here is what his image is and I can't say if it is right but are all things going around. A good coach but a not great manager. Very driven and doesn't treat people well and maybe even feels the olympic thing and early success makes people need to bow down a but. He is looked at as a user by some including his relatioships in the game even though he was never really popular. there is a view that he got his kid in the league. I haven't seen him much, but that is the word. there is a perception that he really went after Chynoweth's job in Swift and also his head coach in Boston. He was passed up by Swift on a couple occasions and spent a few years looking hard for work and couldn't get it at WHL level. He supposedly bullies people including staff and for sure guys in the lower levels. His staff and scouts are supposed to be on edge and have admitted that at times. My personal feeling is that he appears very ambitious and maybe wanted it all a little too quickly and maybe has brought his career to a head a bit quicker than he had to. He may have been successful at one time, but he is in a mess right now.
WHLfriend, your post is bang on. One point to add to this topic is that Marc is a control freak and would rather bully his way and his ideas into execution than listening to others and being open to suggestion.

January 2nd, 2012, 3:33 am #7

Words of advice to live by, their are three sides to every story, yours, mine, and the truth. Chances are everyone is out to lunch. All we have to go by is his record which is top notch.

January 2nd, 2012, 4:48 am #8

his record is currenly abysmal and he has had a very bad record the last to years in Chilliack. As well, he had an awful record in Boston, so actually his last four records have been pretty abysmal. His record over his last four teams can't be much better than 250 to 300 winning percentage. i am not disputing he had some glory years, but the last four have been really bad. you are only as good as your last day in the game and if you have had four bad years in a row, the shine may be off. things catch up to people.

January 2nd, 2012, 4:12 pm #9

The 250-300 winning % is a bit of a stretch. The only "abysmal" record since his start in coaching in 96/97 in my opinion is the 7th place 2006 Olympic finish. There were a lot of other big names that were in on that debacle though - Gretzky, Quinn, Martin, Fleming, Hitchcock and MacKasey.

His worst season finish was in Boston as ***. Coach where they finished in 24th place with a unimpressive .464 and DNQ for the playoffs. Paraphrasing the reason "for being reassigned to other duties within the organization" is that he was not bad-azzed enough for the bruising bruin direction the team was taking.

Melfort was his rookie coaching year and while they won the Anavat Cup the year before, I believe there were only about a half dozen returning players, including Willie Mitchell, when Habscheid stepped in. It wasn't until 2001 that Melfort DNQ for the playoffs. He has been back to Melfort to speak and help with team fundraising, so I am guessing he has been forgotten for any alleged carnage he wreaked in Melfort that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

As for his 8 full years in the WHL, his teams have qualified for the playoffs every year. Three successful post season years with one presidents cup in 2 appearances and a Memorial cup in the other. As GM & Coach, Habscheid is ultimately responsible for the team's performance and Victoria may well be his WHL undoing. The buffoons in Chilliwack (Porter, Keith, Bond) and those now with the Royals (RG's Dakers and Lee)certainly have not helped matters.

If Habscheid's is black-balled from the WHL, I could see him re-emerging in the International hockey coaching scene, whether with Canada or another country.

January 2nd, 2012, 8:03 pm #10

Ownership has hurt his success in Victoria/Chilliwack?

I don't disagree that Porter is a piece of work (I do disagree about Keith/Bond. They were minority owners with very little say and were never around) but how has he or the Victoria owners affected Habscheid's coaching?

Having his son on the team hurt the respect he received from players and fans here in Chilliwack.