GIANT Announcement....Toigo on the 1040...

GIANT Announcement....Toigo on the 1040...

May 3rd, 2012, 10:20 pm #1

Giants games back on team 1040 and 1410!!

May 3rd, 2012, 10:30 pm #2

Last time it didn't work. Giants will be way down the list behind Canucks, Lions and Caps and baseball and everything else those stations carry.

May 3rd, 2012, 10:34 pm #3

Wasn't happy to see Elliot let go...

May 3rd, 2012, 11:24 pm #4

Brutal !!!!!!!! Team 1040 doesn't give a **** if it's not named "canucks". This is a horrible situation with the Canucks, Whitecaps, Lions all sharing the same station. Everyone who works at 1040 couldn't name 5 guys who played on the Giants last season. What was wrong with 650? Just ******' terrible!!

May 3rd, 2012, 11:53 pm #5

Only plus is there are two stations (1040 & 1410) but there is already days that both are broadcasting different games and throwing the Giants' schedule in will mean there will be some non-broadcasts.

May 4th, 2012, 12:02 am #6

Brutal !!!!!!!! Team 1040 doesn't give a **** if it's not named "canucks". This is a horrible situation with the Canucks, Whitecaps, Lions all sharing the same station. Everyone who works at 1040 couldn't name 5 guys who played on the Giants last season. What was wrong with 650? Just ******' terrible!!
Portland's radio woes.

Trailblazers, Timbers, Ducks, Beavers, Vikings, Mariners, Seahawks, all radio dominant figures in Portland - hell, even some of the better high school football programs have schedules that put them over the Winterhawks. Living in a large market with an inadequate number of stations relative to the amount of teams present is a b!tch.

May 4th, 2012, 12:13 am #7

The Vancouver Giants and Team Radio announced Thursday that the WHL club would be moving its games to Team 1040 and Team 1410 beginning this fall.

They had been on AM 650.

Giants VP of operations Peter Toigo says that the plan is to have games that dont conflict with the Vancouver Canucks broadcasts on Team 1040, and ones that do move to Team 1410. Team Radio also has the B.C. Lions and Vancouver Whitecaps, and in the event of a multi-game tie-up, there could be Giants games that are joined in progress or internet only. Toigo couldnt guess how many that might be the WHL doesnt do its scheduling meeting until later in the summer and the NHL is up in the air due to the possibility of a work stoppage. Toigo did say that he didnt think many games would be affected.

The team is looking for a new play-by-play voice after letting Dan Elliott go at the end of the season. Elliott had both the game calling and media relations duties and Toigo reiterated what Giants owner Ron Toigo had said earlier about likely splitting up those jobs and giving them to two different people.

Peter Toigo did say that the Giants were going to talk to Team Radio brass and see if they had someone on staff who might be interested in calling games.

May 4th, 2012, 1:07 am #8

I heard that Toigo wanted to arrange a deal with CKNW but their program director wasn't interested. This is a complete farce & a rip off for loyal Giant followers. I sure hope nobody on 1040 does the play by play because all of them know nothing about the WHL & haven't followed it because it isn't the NHL. I hope the NHL has another work stoppage so the Giants can be center stage instead of an afterthought.

May 4th, 2012, 1:40 am #9

Is it that they figure it'll somehow bring it more to people's attention being on the most popular Sports Stations? You either want to listen to something, or you don't, and there was never one single problem on senile 650. The more I think about this, the less I like it.

May 4th, 2012, 7:33 pm #10

Not too crazy about it, but if it brings more attention to the Giants, I'm all for it.