Some question about Surb Garabet

Some question about Surb Garabet

Sashik
Sashik

August 3rd, 2004, 11:36 am #1

This month I want to go to Surb Garabet Vank near Mush.
Please tell me:
How it preserved?
How to go there from Mush?
Is it dangerous?
Sorry for my poor english & thank you.

VirtualAni
VirtualAni

August 3rd, 2004, 3:32 pm #2

A few fragments of some of the side chapels of the main church, a bit of the south wall of one of the dormitory buildings to the south of the main church, and that's about all there is left. There is now a Kurdish village on the site, and there are many fragments of interesting sculpture (mostly ornate khatchkars) from the monastery built into many of the houses.

To get there from Mush you would probably have to get a taxi - the village is far too much out of the way for there to be any other easily found transport. It would be about a 45 minute drive, I think, from Mush to get there. Maybe a bit longer.

Visiting the place will not be dangerous now that the PKK problem has all but vanished, and there probably won't be any security problem in getting there, but it is always best to avoid contact with soldiers since they may forbid access to the place.

Sashik
Sashik

August 4th, 2004, 7:30 am #3

In my plans is visit Erzurum, Elazig, Diyarbakir, Mush, Van, Kars, Agri provinces.
What places you advice to visit in this regions, except places described on your wonderful web-site?
I want rent a car & transport is not a problem for me.

Walter Scheithauer
Walter Scheithauer

August 11th, 2004, 5:39 pm #4

when you have more Time and a car which can go bad roads, i would propose you visit the ruins on the Dereboynu peninsula. There is at least, The church of st. Thomas high above the lake, a bit further on another church ruin with a wonderful graveyard just beneath te lake. near the beginning is Kamrak vank, hidden in the first valley, and there is said to be another Church at the top of the peninsula

other Sites i would recommend: Surp bartholomaeus (albayrak) and soradir (yanal). you have to get the permission from baskale, but the soldiers were very friendly to me.

Sashik
Sashik

August 12th, 2004, 6:34 am #5

Thank you very much.
But what I must do to get the permission?
& where in Baskale I can do it?