Churches in Turkey - complete (?) list

Churches in Turkey - complete (?) list

A.Schauer
A.Schauer

June 5th, 2007, 3:49 pm #1

While surfing the internet sites of the Ministery of Culture and Tourism I came across the following URL:

http://www.kulturvarliklari.org/kve/ind ... cwid=3#alt

I'm not sure but it seems that here are listed almost 1,400 hits for 'kilise' in Turkey! I know some of them and checked some I recently visited. Even the lesser known as T'ordan are to be found.

Then I tried the query 'manastir':

Now I received 288 hits. Again the ones I checked are mentiond (for example Yedi Kilise).

I am quite astonished that even the former names are given e.g. 'ANDZGHONTS MANASTIR KİLİSESİ' in Bahcesaray or 'GÖKÇİMEN ( BARİJORİVANK ) MANASTIRI' in Hizan or 'SAINT GEORGES ( GOMKİ SURP GEORGİ VANK ) MANASTIRI' and so on...

At last I tried 'sapel' (chapel):

Now I received 141 hits....

Most of the hits state the province, town and village where the building is (was?) to be found and gives its name.

unbelievable

VirtualAni
VirtualAni

June 5th, 2007, 9:42 pm #2

But not totally complete though.

I tried with some of the more obscure places, sites that very few people know about.

I tried for Degirmenalti (Por) and was pleased to get both the village church and the monastery church. But with Tuzhisar, near Sivas, I get only the village church and not the ruined Armenian monastery above the village. And for Kayaburun, near Divrigi, I get nothing (there is an Armenian church in the village). The Kayaburun church is unknown and unpublished, but the Armenian church at Ovakýþla near Ahlat has been published in several books and it also is not listed.

A.Schauer
A.Schauer

June 6th, 2007, 7:34 am #3

I'm not sure if I found the church in Ka_Y_aburun, near Divrigi you mentioned - at least I retrieved the following hit for Ka_R_aburun (query = kilise sivas):

Sıra Numarası: 8/17
Veritabanı Adı: VGM
Envanter No: 58.03.02/18
Varlık Adı: KARABURUN KÖYÜ KİLİSESİ
Envanter Türü: TAŞINMAZ
Varlık Türü: TEK YAPI
Varlık Alt Türü: KİLİSE
İl: SİVAS
İlçe: DİVRİĞİ
Köy: KARABURUN KÖYÜ

I'm quite sure that the list is not complete - I think it can't be because I suppose there are a lot of churches and monasteries you and I would accept as church or monastery but a lot of other people would barely call ruins.

An additional problem with this list may be (I didn't check yet) to determine the exact whereabouts of frontiers between villages und counties. This may explain some problems with the identification of remote monasteries in the list. While writing this posting I tried to find the entry for Niyakom Vank or Nikoma (I can't remember the Georgian Name - Viznazori?) in the Olur region. I retrieved several entries that may or may not describe this ruined place I visited 10 years ago. I'm not sure if it's one of them or if it is not recorded at all. Here is my best guess - without indication of a specific village:

Veritabanı Adı: VGM
Envanter No: 25.12.02/05
Varlık Adı: VANK KİLİSESİ
Envanter Türü: TAŞINMAZ
Varlık Türü: TEK YAPI
Varlık Alt Türü: KİLİSE
İl: ERZURUM
İlçe: OLUR

And probably there are still uncertainties because of the frequent re-naming of villages. I usually use the "Köy Köy Türkiye" and the Ryborsch-maps (published in the 90ies) when I try to locate churches or monasteries that I've read about and I come across difficulties quite frequently. In my experience even the local villagers sometimes are not familiar with the official new name of the village...

-------------------------

Now something I found funny in the list. I retrieved the following entry:

Veritabanı Adı: KTBKVE
Envanter No: F1992.0497
Varlık Adı: MUTFAKTAN BİR KÖŞE
Envanter Türü: SOYUT
Varlık Türü: HALK KÜLTÜRÜ
Varlık Alt Türü: HALK KÜLTÜRÜ
Bulunduğu Yer: TAŞLIKÖY
İl: ERZURUM
İlçe: OLUR

Unfortunately I just speak a little broken Turkish, but as far I can translate this, an unspecific corner in a kitchen in TAŞLIKÖY (MUTFAKTAN BİR KÖŞE) is considered to be of cultural importance and has got an inventory number. I ask myself which of the probably four corners in this kitchen is the important one...

VirtualAni
VirtualAni

June 6th, 2007, 10:55 pm #4

Maybe they are the same place.I've scanned the Ryborsch map for a Karaburun near Divrigi but can't find one.
The correct official name is Kayaburun. From memory, I think the original name of the place is Odur.

The Ryborsch maps don't show regional bounderies of course, so it is hard to tell where Divrigi district ends. I've got an atlas from 2004 by DBSR Atlas Haritas that does show these borders: the maps are almost as detailed as the Ryborsch ones but they are printed at such a small scale they are difficult to read.

Maybe the Olur "kitchen" is one of those "tandir evi" rooms with a fireplace in one corner??

Jan
Jan

June 11th, 2007, 11:34 pm #5

While surfing the internet sites of the Ministery of Culture and Tourism I came across the following URL:

I'm not sure but it seems that here are listed almost 1,400 hits for 'kilise' in Turkey! I know some of them and checked some I recently visited. Even the lesser known as T'ordan are to be found.

Then I tried the query 'manastir':

Now I received 288 hits. Again the ones I checked are mentiond (for example Yedi Kilise).

I am quite astonished that even the former names are given e.g. 'ANDZGHONTS MANASTIR KİLİSESİ' in Bahcesaray or 'GÖKÇİMEN ( BARİJORİVANK ) MANASTIRI' in Hizan or 'SAINT GEORGES ( GOMKİ SURP GEORGİ VANK ) MANASTIRI' and so on...

At last I tried 'sapel' (chapel):

Now I received 141 hits....

Most of the hits state the province, town and village where the building is (was?) to be found and gives its name.

unbelievable

I noted that some buildings are mentioned more than one time in the list. This is because because the database includes data from different institutions like the "General Directorate for Foundations" (the state organisation responsible for monument listings etc) (VGM) and the Turkish Historical Society (TTK). If you click on "Veri Tabani degistir" (Change the database) you can choose which database(s) you will like to to search. It is better to choose here just VGM and TTK.
The Culture and Tourism Ministry included even items like "village girls" from some areas in the cultural heritage..... beyond the scope of Virtual Ani, I think.

A.Schauer
A.Schauer

June 16th, 2007, 6:51 pm #6

But not totally complete though.

I tried with some of the more obscure places, sites that very few people know about.

I tried for Degirmenalti (Por) and was pleased to get both the village church and the monastery church. But with Tuzhisar, near Sivas, I get only the village church and not the ruined Armenian monastery above the village. And for Kayaburun, near Divrigi, I get nothing (there is an Armenian church in the village). The Kayaburun church is unknown and unpublished, but the Armenian church at Ovakýþla near Ahlat has been published in several books and it also is not listed.
You wrote "the Kayaburun church is unknown and unpublished". I think that is not correct. I found a quite long entry in Jean-Michel Thierry's article "La Region de Divrik" which was published in "Handes Amsorya (Zeitschrift für armenische Philologie)", Vienna 1995, pp. 325-359. The Kayaburun church is described on pp. 334-335. Thierry mentiones two churches in Kayaburun:

(1) "L'église paroissiale Saint-Thomas (S. T'uvma), située en haut du village. D'après l'inscription l'église a été construite (ou restaurée) en 1809 [...]."

(2) "Le couvent P'aylevank' (Vodrivank', Vawdrivank') est attesté comme scriptorium au XVe siècle, en 1469 [...]. Nous proposons de l'identifier à un èdifice se trouvant à l'extrémité orientale du village actuel, pres de cimetière. Il n'en reste plus que l'église à demi ruinée: petite mononef à abside demi-circulaire [...]."

On page 345 you can find a map with the Armenian churches and monasteries in the Divrigi area and pictures and plans of the Kayaburun churches are too to be found (figures 9-12).

VirtualAni
VirtualAni

June 16th, 2007, 7:59 pm #7

Is there anywhere he didn't go.

I don't know about the inscription (there was a lot of wood stacked up against the facade when I was there), but 1809 seem too early a date for the church based on its physical appearance, imho. Its wooden roof did not look 200 years old to me. I'll have to have another look at my photos of it. I was there in around 1999.

I have never been able to look at any copies of Handes Amsorya - it seems to be a very obscure publication that no English-speaking libraries hold.

What about Keshik Kilise, which is a little to the north of Kayaburun. Has he been there too?

A.Schauer
A.Schauer

June 16th, 2007, 8:56 pm #8

I've got copies of the following articels of J.-M- Thierry in Handes Amsorya:

1975, pp. 183-200: L'église Saint-Anania de Por

1983, pp. 380-406: Notes d'un voyage archéologique en Turquie orientale.
It covers:
a) La région de Sivas (Couvent du Saint-Archange [S. Hrestakapetavank'])
b) La région de Mus (Couvent su Saint-Precurseur [S. Karapet de Mus]; Couvent de Saint-Jean [S. Hovhannesivank'])

1989, pp. 28-64: Voyage archéologique en Turquie orientale II.
It covers
a) La région de Tokat
b) La région d'Erzincan (Couvent des Supplices de St-Grégoire [C'arc'aranic'vank']; Couvent Saint-Géorges d'Erkan [Erkani S. Georgivank']; Couvent Saint-Nicolas de Bt'aric [S. Nikolosi Bt'arcivank']; L'église de Cimin [Üzümlü])
c) Le district de Derjan (Couvent Saint-Théodore de Derjan [S. T'orosivank']; Monastère d'Aprank' [Apranic'vank']

1993, pp. 167-200: Voyage archéologique en Turquie orientale III.
It covers
a) Couvent des Saints-Apôtres de Sis
b) Couvent du Saint-Illuminateur de Xurnavul [Karabas vanki, "10 km à vol d'oiseau nord de Divrigi"]
c) L'éremitage Saint-grégoire de Narek [Narekayvank'], "sur la rive gauche du cours supérieur de l'Arege dere dans le haut et sauvage massif calcaire séparant Akn de Divrik"; tcM: Duruköy
d) Les monuments du village d'Hawaw [near Palu, tcM: Ekinözü]
e) Le Couvent de la Mère-de-Dieu de Hawaw [K'alc'rahayeac'vank'], "ce couvent se trouve à 1500 m au sud-ouest du village d'Hawaw
f) Le Couvent de la Mère-du-Seigneur de Datem [Tiramor], "à 3 k´km au nord-ouest du village de Datem", tcM: Tadim [south of Elazig]
g) Les églises de Bagaric de Kamax
h) L'éremitage Saint-Georges de Musovka' ["Le village de [...] Misevge [il: malatya, ilce: Hekimhan, bucak: kursunlu] se trouve dans le massif du Akcadag, au nord-ouest de Malatya"]

1995, pp.325-358: La région de Divrik
It covers
a) La ville de Divrik
b) Armutal [tcM: Kavaksu]
c) Asusen [tcM: Güneyevler]
d) Barlam [tcM: Uzunkaya]
e) Benkay [tcM: Adatepe]
f) Gasman [tcM: Kesme]
g) Kamxu [tcM: Akpelit]
h) Kiwrasin [tcM: Güresin]
i) Mervana [tcM: Kayacik]
j) Otur [tcM: Kayaburun]
k) Palanga [tcM: ? - Thierry does not know - "situé à 5 km au sud de Divrik"]
l) Sikim [tcM: Yünlüce]
m) Sinjan [tcM: Sincan (?)]
n) Surb Yakob [tcM: Akca, Yalniz Kesis Vanki - "situé à 12 km au sud-ouest de Divrik"]
o) Zimara [tcM: Altintas]

>> Studying the map I suppose he writes about your "Keshik Kilise": the map indicates no less than seven churches or convents roughly north of Kayaburun within 5 km. Unfortunately I can't identify "Keshik Kilise" within the text or the map free of doubt. But considering the name I suppose it is Surb Yakob (Yalniz Kesis [Keshish - I can't write the s, as a single letter] Vanki), which seems to be about two or three kilometres to the north-west of Kayaburun.
But reading the text I'm not sure if he really visited Surb Yakob:
"Situé à 12 km au sud-ouest de Divrik, sur un éminence triangulaire au bord d'un petit affluent du Lik Suyu. Il faut probablement l'identifier au couvent Saint-Jacques (S. Yakob Mcbnac'i [arm.]). Pendant longtemps il n'y eut qu'un seul religieux qui y vivait avec sa famille puis il est devenue centre d'un petit hameau de 12 maisons arméniennes. Les biens fonciers du couvent furent partagés entre les héritiers arméniens et les Kurds puis pris en totalité par ces derniers en 1915. Il était le but d'un pélerinage important à la fête de saint Jacques de Nisibe. Il y avait en outre deux oratoires ou lieuy sacrés un peu au-dessous du village; Saint-Thaddée et Ort'tak"
That's all - no detailled plan, no pictures.

What do you thin? Is this your "Keshik Kilise"?

A.Schauer
A.Schauer

June 16th, 2007, 9:04 pm #9

Is there anywhere he didn't go.

I don't know about the inscription (there was a lot of wood stacked up against the facade when I was there), but 1809 seem too early a date for the church based on its physical appearance, imho. Its wooden roof did not look 200 years old to me. I'll have to have another look at my photos of it. I was there in around 1999.

I have never been able to look at any copies of Handes Amsorya - it seems to be a very obscure publication that no English-speaking libraries hold.

What about Keshik Kilise, which is a little to the north of Kayaburun. Has he been there too?
http://www.bibliomonde.com/pages/fiche- ... uteur=1419

Quite impressive!

VirtualAni
VirtualAni

June 17th, 2007, 4:05 pm #10

I've got copies of the following articels of J.-M- Thierry in Handes Amsorya:

1975, pp. 183-200: L'église Saint-Anania de Por

1983, pp. 380-406: Notes d'un voyage archéologique en Turquie orientale.
It covers:
a) La région de Sivas (Couvent du Saint-Archange [S. Hrestakapetavank'])
b) La région de Mus (Couvent su Saint-Precurseur [S. Karapet de Mus]; Couvent de Saint-Jean [S. Hovhannesivank'])

1989, pp. 28-64: Voyage archéologique en Turquie orientale II.
It covers
a) La région de Tokat
b) La région d'Erzincan (Couvent des Supplices de St-Grégoire [C'arc'aranic'vank']; Couvent Saint-Géorges d'Erkan [Erkani S. Georgivank']; Couvent Saint-Nicolas de Bt'aric [S. Nikolosi Bt'arcivank']; L'église de Cimin [Üzümlü])
c) Le district de Derjan (Couvent Saint-Théodore de Derjan [S. T'orosivank']; Monastère d'Aprank' [Apranic'vank']

1993, pp. 167-200: Voyage archéologique en Turquie orientale III.
It covers
a) Couvent des Saints-Apôtres de Sis
b) Couvent du Saint-Illuminateur de Xurnavul [Karabas vanki, "10 km à vol d'oiseau nord de Divrigi"]
c) L'éremitage Saint-grégoire de Narek [Narekayvank'], "sur la rive gauche du cours supérieur de l'Arege dere dans le haut et sauvage massif calcaire séparant Akn de Divrik"; tcM: Duruköy
d) Les monuments du village d'Hawaw [near Palu, tcM: Ekinözü]
e) Le Couvent de la Mère-de-Dieu de Hawaw [K'alc'rahayeac'vank'], "ce couvent se trouve à 1500 m au sud-ouest du village d'Hawaw
f) Le Couvent de la Mère-du-Seigneur de Datem [Tiramor], "à 3 k´km au nord-ouest du village de Datem", tcM: Tadim [south of Elazig]
g) Les églises de Bagaric de Kamax
h) L'éremitage Saint-Georges de Musovka' ["Le village de [...] Misevge [il: malatya, ilce: Hekimhan, bucak: kursunlu] se trouve dans le massif du Akcadag, au nord-ouest de Malatya"]

1995, pp.325-358: La région de Divrik
It covers
a) La ville de Divrik
b) Armutal [tcM: Kavaksu]
c) Asusen [tcM: Güneyevler]
d) Barlam [tcM: Uzunkaya]
e) Benkay [tcM: Adatepe]
f) Gasman [tcM: Kesme]
g) Kamxu [tcM: Akpelit]
h) Kiwrasin [tcM: Güresin]
i) Mervana [tcM: Kayacik]
j) Otur [tcM: Kayaburun]
k) Palanga [tcM: ? - Thierry does not know - "situé à 5 km au sud de Divrik"]
l) Sikim [tcM: Yünlüce]
m) Sinjan [tcM: Sincan (?)]
n) Surb Yakob [tcM: Akca, Yalniz Kesis Vanki - "situé à 12 km au sud-ouest de Divrik"]
o) Zimara [tcM: Altintas]

>> Studying the map I suppose he writes about your "Keshik Kilise": the map indicates no less than seven churches or convents roughly north of Kayaburun within 5 km. Unfortunately I can't identify "Keshik Kilise" within the text or the map free of doubt. But considering the name I suppose it is Surb Yakob (Yalniz Kesis [Keshish - I can't write the s, as a single letter] Vanki), which seems to be about two or three kilometres to the north-west of Kayaburun.
But reading the text I'm not sure if he really visited Surb Yakob:
"Situé à 12 km au sud-ouest de Divrik, sur un éminence triangulaire au bord d'un petit affluent du Lik Suyu. Il faut probablement l'identifier au couvent Saint-Jacques (S. Yakob Mcbnac'i [arm.]). Pendant longtemps il n'y eut qu'un seul religieux qui y vivait avec sa famille puis il est devenue centre d'un petit hameau de 12 maisons arméniennes. Les biens fonciers du couvent furent partagés entre les héritiers arméniens et les Kurds puis pris en totalité par ces derniers en 1915. Il était le but d'un pélerinage important à la fête de saint Jacques de Nisibe. Il y avait en outre deux oratoires ou lieuy sacrés un peu au-dessous du village; Saint-Thaddée et Ort'tak"
That's all - no detailled plan, no pictures.

What do you thin? Is this your "Keshik Kilise"?
Yalniz Kesis is the name of the village on the site (now abandoned). Thierry can't have gone there. If he did, I'm sure he would have commented on the fact that the church has been reused as an Alevi shrine, and that one of the "oratories" is a rare example of a double-apsed church.

I've probably been to a few other of those Divrigi-area churches that Thierry lists. I recognise a number of the names. And some of them I've tried to see but couldn't. For example, In 1999 I tried to visit the Narekavank site near Duruköy, but was turned back by some village guards on the road north from Kemaliye, and I've also looked for a church near Benkay/Adatepe (Pingan) that is mentioned as being in the hills to the south of the village in a couple of old travellers accounts - but I could not find it (it may be destroyed). There are still two Armenian churches in Adatepe/Pingan.