Watch Addiction!

Watch Addiction!

Darrin
Darrin

July 12th, 2005, 1:27 pm #1

Anyone here find there selves addicted to watches? It doesn't matter how many I own, I always think about buying one more!

EdH
EdH

July 12th, 2005, 2:44 pm #2

Maybe this forum could become a support group to help us deal with our watch collection addiction. Instead of buying a watch, just get on the forum and "talk it out" with each other and not buy anything. But then, what would eBay do without us?

Oh well, gotta go for now and get back to surfing eBay for that next "must have" watch.

Cheers,

Ed

RonD.
RonD.

July 12th, 2005, 7:45 pm #3

Anyone here find there selves addicted to watches? It doesn't matter how many I own, I always think about buying one more!
Hey Darrin,

I used to have 2 watches. Then I started collecting again. In a few short years, I have collected over 100 watches (in my personal collection, not to mention the hundreds that I have waiting for repair)! I decided to make an effort to sell half of them and try to get the number down to 50. I figured that for every new watch I would pick up, I would sell 2 of my old ones. So what happened? Well, I sold around 5 of the ones I don't seem to ever wear... but ended up buying around 20 new ones (and sorry I sold the other 5)!!!!

The other day I just decided that since I am fairly young (44), I didn't need to be so hell-bent on getting rid of them just for the sake of having fewer watches. The 45-50 year old Timex watches I have now will be 65-70 in 20 years, and maybe more collectible. I am taking the shoe-box approach of just socking them away for the future. I am up to 2 shoe boxes right now, and still collecting!

Ron

Darrin
Darrin

July 12th, 2005, 8:49 pm #4

If I where to sell any, I would regret it. I almost gave one to my Uncle once. I was going to give it to him because he gave it to my stepfather who past away. Anyway, I am glad that I didn't!

July 13th, 2005, 12:21 am #5

My present "collection" of watches consists of a mere three watches (although, over my lifetime, I've probably owned several dozens) and I SWORE that I would not buy another watch until and unless I had found my "dream" watch. Yet, only last week I found myself buying another somewhat expensive watch that I knew in advance was not exactly my dream watch.

I should mention that my definition of my dream watch is a SINGLE watch which has ALL of the features I want in a watch, has a dial and case that I never get tired of looking at, and is the ONE watch I will be content to wear for the remainder of my, hopefully, long life. Once I have found my dream watch, it will no longer be necessary for me to look any further because any other watch would only be inferior to the dream watch I had found.

I think that people who are afflicted with "horolomania" (i.e., the obsessive "need" to accumulate ever growing collections of watches and clocks) are, like me, also on a quest for their personal dream watch, but they may not realize it yet. They find a watch that has SOME of the features of their dream watch, but not all and then feel this intense need to possess it. It can be either a new or used timepiece, it makes no difference. As their collection of watches grows, they are really trying, IMO, to achieve in the collection what they are subconsciously seeking in that SINGLE personal dream watch of theirs.

Instead of collecting hundreds of watches in an effort to satisfy my need to obtain my dream watch via the installment approach, I have managed to content myself with just LOOKING at as many different watches as I can in a week. I will watch cable tv watch shows, surf the zillions of internet watch sites, visit local jewelry stores and retail outlets and view every watch on display. I even check out all the circulars and catalogs that are dumped in my mailbox by the pounds each week. I probably preview hundreds of watches per week in this way...constantly searching.

On VERY rare occasion I find a watch that is close to what I am seeking in my personal dream watch and the closer it is, the more probable it is that I will buy it. I believe that this is what happened last week when I ordered that nice Orient watch. I was stimulated to make a purchase because it has the new photoluminescent hands and dial markers and also that nifty little power reserve indicator on it.

So, what is a possible "cure" for one's case of horolomania? Well, trying to gradually cut down the size of one's collection rarely works. That's like trying to diet by only eating half a bag of your favorite snack crackers! We all know how successful those diets are.

As I see it, there are really only two realistic cures. One must either intensify one's efforts briefly and, hopefully, finally find one's elusive dream watch. Or, one must find a watch that is as close to one's dream watch as possible and then resign oneself to it with the hope that, in time, one will finally be able to accept it as one's actual dream watch. This latter approach is the one I am currently trying to use.

Once one of the above two "cures" has been applied and is successful, the next step is to develop OTHER interests aside from watch collecting, watch repair, and the study of horology. Oh, one can still perform an OCCASIONAL watch repair for a friend or relative, but NO MORE than that! No more bidding on every watch on the internet auction sites, no more searching through flea markets for bargain "fix-'er-upper's", etc., etc., etc. In short, no more obsessive thinking about timepieces and compulsive acquisition of timepieces in any form. Also, and perhaps most importantly, one's huge collection of watches should be sold off or given away to friends / relatives. Remember, once you have your dream watch or the closest approximation possible, you will no longer have a need for the collection.

Yes, it's a hard pill to swallow and will be impossible for many achieve. However, in time and with the loving support of one's friends and family, one CAN expect to make a full recovery from horolomania...

technoguy

RJ
RJ

July 13th, 2005, 1:09 am #6

The best way to get rid of the addiction is to just go cold turkey. Get rid of all of them. The whole collection. Sell them. Give them to charity. Many people would benefit from them. Donate them to a museum. Whatever.

Today I just got rid of a few things that were "passed down" to me from family. Nothing of real value other than intrinsic. It felt good. Healthy. Like ridding myself of clutter.

Most people do not collect or hoard things, so it's a natural thing to do. Like a step forward psychologically.

The most value that you get from these things is really from memories anyways, and you will always have those, at least until you don't need them. Material things really can't make you happy.

My best memories do not revolve around the acquisition of material things.

RonD.
RonD.

July 13th, 2005, 1:29 am #7

My present "collection" of watches consists of a mere three watches (although, over my lifetime, I've probably owned several dozens) and I SWORE that I would not buy another watch until and unless I had found my "dream" watch. Yet, only last week I found myself buying another somewhat expensive watch that I knew in advance was not exactly my dream watch.

I should mention that my definition of my dream watch is a SINGLE watch which has ALL of the features I want in a watch, has a dial and case that I never get tired of looking at, and is the ONE watch I will be content to wear for the remainder of my, hopefully, long life. Once I have found my dream watch, it will no longer be necessary for me to look any further because any other watch would only be inferior to the dream watch I had found.

I think that people who are afflicted with "horolomania" (i.e., the obsessive "need" to accumulate ever growing collections of watches and clocks) are, like me, also on a quest for their personal dream watch, but they may not realize it yet. They find a watch that has SOME of the features of their dream watch, but not all and then feel this intense need to possess it. It can be either a new or used timepiece, it makes no difference. As their collection of watches grows, they are really trying, IMO, to achieve in the collection what they are subconsciously seeking in that SINGLE personal dream watch of theirs.

Instead of collecting hundreds of watches in an effort to satisfy my need to obtain my dream watch via the installment approach, I have managed to content myself with just LOOKING at as many different watches as I can in a week. I will watch cable tv watch shows, surf the zillions of internet watch sites, visit local jewelry stores and retail outlets and view every watch on display. I even check out all the circulars and catalogs that are dumped in my mailbox by the pounds each week. I probably preview hundreds of watches per week in this way...constantly searching.

On VERY rare occasion I find a watch that is close to what I am seeking in my personal dream watch and the closer it is, the more probable it is that I will buy it. I believe that this is what happened last week when I ordered that nice Orient watch. I was stimulated to make a purchase because it has the new photoluminescent hands and dial markers and also that nifty little power reserve indicator on it.

So, what is a possible "cure" for one's case of horolomania? Well, trying to gradually cut down the size of one's collection rarely works. That's like trying to diet by only eating half a bag of your favorite snack crackers! We all know how successful those diets are.

As I see it, there are really only two realistic cures. One must either intensify one's efforts briefly and, hopefully, finally find one's elusive dream watch. Or, one must find a watch that is as close to one's dream watch as possible and then resign oneself to it with the hope that, in time, one will finally be able to accept it as one's actual dream watch. This latter approach is the one I am currently trying to use.

Once one of the above two "cures" has been applied and is successful, the next step is to develop OTHER interests aside from watch collecting, watch repair, and the study of horology. Oh, one can still perform an OCCASIONAL watch repair for a friend or relative, but NO MORE than that! No more bidding on every watch on the internet auction sites, no more searching through flea markets for bargain "fix-'er-upper's", etc., etc., etc. In short, no more obsessive thinking about timepieces and compulsive acquisition of timepieces in any form. Also, and perhaps most importantly, one's huge collection of watches should be sold off or given away to friends / relatives. Remember, once you have your dream watch or the closest approximation possible, you will no longer have a need for the collection.

Yes, it's a hard pill to swallow and will be impossible for many achieve. However, in time and with the loving support of one's friends and family, one CAN expect to make a full recovery from horolomania...

technoguy
... how can you stop searching through flea markets for that hidden treasure?

July 13th, 2005, 3:37 am #8

It won't be easy. I regularly attend flea markets and the first tables I make a beeline for are the ones I know will be loaded with new wristwatches. However, once you've found your dream watch or a reasonable facsimile, the next step is to attend flea markets and look for something OTHER than watches. If one has no other interest in flea markets other than watches, then maybe it's better to skip the flea market entirely rather than risk temptation. These are harsh steps to try, but if one is truly suffering from a severe case of horolomania, then they are necessary if complete recovery is to be achieved.

technoguy

C.W.
C.W.

July 13th, 2005, 2:38 pm #9

The best way to get rid of the addiction is to just go cold turkey. Get rid of all of them. The whole collection. Sell them. Give them to charity. Many people would benefit from them. Donate them to a museum. Whatever.

Today I just got rid of a few things that were "passed down" to me from family. Nothing of real value other than intrinsic. It felt good. Healthy. Like ridding myself of clutter.

Most people do not collect or hoard things, so it's a natural thing to do. Like a step forward psychologically.

The most value that you get from these things is really from memories anyways, and you will always have those, at least until you don't need them. Material things really can't make you happy.

My best memories do not revolve around the acquisition of material things.
-and there's always eBay!
--Charlie

July 14th, 2005, 1:54 am #10

Better to be addicted to watches then a lot of other things I can think of but I do enjoy giveing one away every now and then plus that gives me a reason to buy 3 or 4 more.