Two watches. Not Timex. Not American movements. But a sort of kinship....

Two watches. Not Timex. Not American movements. But a sort of kinship....

Alan N.
Alan N.

July 14th, 2001, 5:54 am #1

Well, these two watches use jewelled Swiss movements, unlike the unjewelled Timex watches. Like other stores and jewelry shops, such as Tiffany and Co., or Birks in Canada, the "Sears" labelled watches were presumably made for them by contract, by some watch firm, simply labelled Sears for sale through their stores.

Sears, although it has been losing major ground in recent decades, still is probably the largest retailer in the US, and maybe in Canada. My first pair of blue jeans were from Sears, though they were actually green, with matching "jean jacket" around age 10. I bought a bike from them at about 18, and it felt like it was made of lead. Haven't bought much from there in the last fifteen years or so, but I remember the local one well. We even bought my dad a watch from Sears, for his birthday or Father's Day. It was a goldtone LCD musical which played the Yellow Rose of Texas for the alarm. That was the only part of it he liked, as he never took to digital. Here's some more of the watches, two more pics of the checkerboard dive one, and one of a regular men's watch, not very interesting. Except that it's from Sears! Anyone else have any fondness for Sears?

RJ
RJ

July 14th, 2001, 4:45 pm #2

x

Alan N.
Alan N.

July 17th, 2001, 4:04 pm #3

nt

RJ
RJ

July 17th, 2001, 9:03 pm #4

That's about the size I thought it was. Or actually, the small/average men's size, rather than boy's.

I like simple watches like this. And it's interesting to see older ones too. I'm thankful that I'm not as fascinated by the "better" watches as much. Much too costly.