Timex Submariner?

Timex Submariner?

Steady Eddie
Steady Eddie

December 1st, 2004, 6:09 am #1

Today, I went into a local retailer to check out the new Perpetual Calendar Timex watches that have been all the buzz here recently.

When I asked the sales girl where they were displayed, she motioned me over to the lower glass-front display case. "These just came in yesterday." , she said.

I could not believe my eyes!!

There among the Perpetual Calendars was a Stainless Steel Rolex 5513!!!

But it wasn't. It was a new Timex Rolex Replica...list price: $64.95.

I have never seen one before. It looks very much like the real 5513 as shown on Alan's site and even has the "3-pointed star" on the hour hand!!!

I jumped right on Timex.com to attempt to get a catalog number for everyone,
but the site was at a dead slow crawl for some reason, maybe you can find it
through an individual effort. I do not remember seeing the "Reef Gear" logo on the dial, nor do I remember it being a calendar watch, but, it was "new" into the store yesterday.....

Steady Eddie

Steady Eddie
Steady Eddie

December 1st, 2004, 6:27 am #2

Nobody will EVER convince me that Timex doesn't look at this site....things that are happening with the latest releases that are scary (in light of what has been posted here)..and now Alan's Submariner shows up!!!

S.E.

technoguy
technoguy

December 1st, 2004, 6:59 am #3

Today, I went into a local retailer to check out the new Perpetual Calendar Timex watches that have been all the buzz here recently.

When I asked the sales girl where they were displayed, she motioned me over to the lower glass-front display case. "These just came in yesterday." , she said.

I could not believe my eyes!!

There among the Perpetual Calendars was a Stainless Steel Rolex 5513!!!

But it wasn't. It was a new Timex Rolex Replica...list price: $64.95.

I have never seen one before. It looks very much like the real 5513 as shown on Alan's site and even has the "3-pointed star" on the hour hand!!!

I jumped right on Timex.com to attempt to get a catalog number for everyone,
but the site was at a dead slow crawl for some reason, maybe you can find it
through an individual effort. I do not remember seeing the "Reef Gear" logo on the dial, nor do I remember it being a calendar watch, but, it was "new" into the store yesterday.....

Steady Eddie
I knew Timex made a few Rolex "style" watches in the past, but maybe now they are going to be doing it one a more extensive scale to cash in on the Rolex's popularity. I guess they can get away with it just so long as they do not use the word "Rolex" on the dial and as long as the original design of the watch was not patented or trademarked.

As I've said in a previous post, I have no problem with replicas just so long as they are not presented (and priced) like the originals. Now if they would only make me a Timex version of the Rolex President's model using a Chinese automatic movement, Nordic Gold case and bracelet, and LumiNova dial illumination!

Here's an image of a vintage Rolex Model #5513 for everybody's inspection...

technoguy

Steady Eddie
Steady Eddie

December 1st, 2004, 2:00 pm #4

technoguy--

Timex beat you to the punch--sort of.

The current catalog number of the GOLD tone Rolex Replica is:

And, the catalog number of the Stainless Steel Rolex Replica is:

The Timex.com Web-site "freed-up" this morning and allowed me to do a little
digging. These watches are ringers for the real thing. If a person was sitting
at one end of the bar, wearng one of these watches, and a "watch-nut" (like me) was sitting at the other end of the bar, he, or she, would have a tough time telling the difference.

Steady Eddie

Steady Eddie
Steady Eddie

December 1st, 2004, 2:03 pm #5

And, contrary to my original post, they ARE calendar models, too.

S.E.

tfram
tfram

December 1st, 2004, 2:08 pm #6

Is it on the official Timex website?

John L
John L

December 1st, 2004, 2:23 pm #7

But you have to look under "Dress Watches" to find it. There's a couple of others in the same style as well...

I've seen them in person too...they look nice, and I like the luminous marker at the other end of the second hand. However, I'm not a fan of replicating other's styling, so the Submariner look is a little unfortunate. And 50m W/R doesn't really make for a "real" diving watch.

Timex did this in the mid-1990s as well, releasing a watch that looked more or less identical to this one.

John

Steady Eddie
Steady Eddie

December 1st, 2004, 2:50 pm #8

There seems to me to be an individual or group within Timex that has a soft spot
in their heart for Retro stuff. And, they seem to be looking at this site very carefully.

Timex may have very well released this model in the mid-1990s, I don't know that. If you look closely at the Timex.com Web-site, these Retro Submariners
are listed as currently "not in stock", but you can leave your e-mail addy and they will get back to you. A "trial" to test the waters? Perhaps. But they are shipping them. My seeing them on display with a recent shipment proves this.

An "unfortunate" style? It's whatever will sell I guess.

Who knows what tommorow will bring?

S.E.

Steady Eddie
Steady Eddie

December 1st, 2004, 2:55 pm #9

That should be "tomorrow"--fat fingers on the keyboard, my bad.

S.E.

tfram
tfram

December 1st, 2004, 3:06 pm #10

But you have to look under "Dress Watches" to find it. There's a couple of others in the same style as well...

I've seen them in person too...they look nice, and I like the luminous marker at the other end of the second hand. However, I'm not a fan of replicating other's styling, so the Submariner look is a little unfortunate. And 50m W/R doesn't really make for a "real" diving watch.

Timex did this in the mid-1990s as well, releasing a watch that looked more or less identical to this one.

John
200 meters water resistant with a rotating bezel. Get rid of the indiglo light and make the Mercedes hands & markers luminous.