Timex Electric pics

Timex Electric pics

electrichorologist
electrichorologist

October 12th, 2005, 4:18 pm #1

This is a recent fix. The coil was damaged. Has been serviced. Is timing well in all positions. Click pictures to enlarge

Jay

EdH
EdH

October 12th, 2005, 4:31 pm #2

nt

rltbod
rltbod

October 12th, 2005, 4:44 pm #3

This is a recent fix. The coil was damaged. Has been serviced. Is timing well in all positions. Click pictures to enlarge

Jay
nt

Knut
Knut

October 12th, 2005, 5:00 pm #4

Jay
...looks really great! Do you repair the actual coil, or do you replace the parts needed?

Knut

technoguy
technoguy

October 12th, 2005, 5:49 pm #5

Jay
That orange second hand has a beautiful retro look against the black dial and I think I prefer this simple diver look to the more distracting chronographs with their subdials crowding out the hour markers.

Nice closeup of the balance wheel's topside mounted coil. I notice that, like their earlier automatics, Timex continued to use that brass peg to secure the hairspring to the balance coq. I wish that they had used a screw down system to secure the hairspring like practically all other manufactures's used, but I guess this troublesome to repair configuration got their costs down.

technoguy

electrichorologist
electrichorologist

October 12th, 2005, 7:11 pm #6

...looks really great! Do you repair the actual coil, or do you replace the parts needed?

Knut
Hello Knut,

I did not repair the coil on this watch. I have for other electrics, various quartz and Accutrons, but not this one. My former teacher, Larry Blanchard, has a video explaining how to do this.

Here is the link:

http://www.watch-clock-makers.org/ecomm ... 98bcc1f378

Jay

electrichorologist
electrichorologist

October 12th, 2005, 7:25 pm #7

That orange second hand has a beautiful retro look against the black dial and I think I prefer this simple diver look to the more distracting chronographs with their subdials crowding out the hour markers.

Nice closeup of the balance wheel's topside mounted coil. I notice that, like their earlier automatics, Timex continued to use that brass peg to secure the hairspring to the balance coq. I wish that they had used a screw down system to secure the hairspring like practically all other manufactures's used, but I guess this troublesome to repair configuration got their costs down.

technoguy
Technoguy,

It would keep the cost down.

It would be easier if it had the removable hairspring stud to adjust for the height of hairspring. The hairspring and isochronism is not critical in an electric; however, the hairspring still has to be level and the coils not touching each other.

The balance assembly was taken from a donor movement, the regulator was bent down, making a difference in the dial up and down positions of 2 minutes a day. This was corrected and dial positons are within 5 seconds a day of each other, also the hairspring had to be leveled and tweeked.

Jay

Bill D
Bill D

October 12th, 2005, 7:34 pm #8

Jay
I own one just like it!!

Bill D

Knut
Knut

October 12th, 2005, 7:37 pm #9

Hello Knut,

I did not repair the coil on this watch. I have for other electrics, various quartz and Accutrons, but not this one. My former teacher, Larry Blanchard, has a video explaining how to do this.

Here is the link:

http://www.watch-clock-makers.org/ecomm ... 98bcc1f378

Jay
Thanks!

electrichorologist
electrichorologist

October 12th, 2005, 7:59 pm #10

I own one just like it!!

Bill D
nt