Timex bought by the US Military from 1999-2001

Timex bought by the US Military from 1999-2001

Alan N.
Alan N.

January 28th, 2002, 7:08 am #1

The above picture belongs to Ned. Ned did some painstaking research on US Military issue watches, and found out some interesting info. He compiled a roster of watches bought by the US Dept of Defense. I don't have Ned's email to ask permission to link this picture, but the info is posted by him at this site, and I am just linking it here for you to see:

http://www.broadarrow.net/cgi-bin/mwr.pl?read=3152

Timex was one of four companies which were purchased by the Department of Defense. Important to make a distinction between purchased and "made for." The Marathon and Stocker and Yale watches were made by contract specifically for the DoD, probably at least partly from specs handed down from DoD. There is nothing to indicate that the Timex Expedition watch shown here, and below, was specifically made for the military. In fact, it is probably a consumer watch, just like any other Timex, or like the Casio G-Shocks that they buy, bought for its features. I think it's something Timex should be proud of, though it's possible that the Timex Corporation might not even be aware of these purchases.

I can't say I'm in love with the look of it, but the DoD bought it for its useful features, not for how nice it may or may not have looked, and certainly not to please the tastes of civilian collectors! Check out the functions provided by this watch (beneath picture, below.) Not sure of the Casios offer all that, and certainly the Marathon and SandY watches, quality watches that they are, don't have these functions.

Digital Compass
Model:T83512
Size: Men
Band: Water-resistant leather strap
Dial/Case: Lightweight anodized aluminum case
Description: All Day INDIGLO® display, NIGHT-MODE® feature, Highly accurate digital compass, 24-hour chonograph with lap or split option, Countdown timer, 24-hour countdown timer, 3 time zones, Water-resistant 50m, Alarm Price: $64.00

ernie b
ernie b

January 28th, 2002, 3:59 pm #2

Alan, I wonder which military units the Timex's were issued to? That would interesting to know. These Timex's look out of place in the contract shown by Ned on MWR.

Alan N.
Alan N.

January 28th, 2002, 8:04 pm #3

But, if you look at the functions offered by the Timex, the list is pretty extensive. More than the Marathons and SandYs, and maybe more than the Casios.

I wonder if Ned can tell what division they were purchased for.

Alan N.
Alan N.

January 28th, 2002, 8:09 pm #4

Reprinted from MWR, by Ned, below. Seems the shipment was split, half going to California, and the other to Pennsylvania.

I'll have to do a search of Divers Den later...
-----------------------

Hi Alan

These watches were ordered from the Divers Den in Panama City, FL. One can only speculate on who the final end user was to be.

Despite the gaudy appearance this watch has a lot of functions. You can imagine it being very useful to certain special units. Could
also be a good undercover watch as it doesn't look military.

The NSN is summarized as "Watch, Digital Combination". Shipment was split. Part to DDD San Joaguin, CA the rest to DDD New
Cumberland, PA. These two Defense Distribution Depots serve both coasts, and are the most common delivery addresses for
watches.

Brian
Brian

January 29th, 2002, 7:53 am #5

The above picture belongs to Ned. Ned did some painstaking research on US Military issue watches, and found out some interesting info. He compiled a roster of watches bought by the US Dept of Defense. I don't have Ned's email to ask permission to link this picture, but the info is posted by him at this site, and I am just linking it here for you to see:

Timex was one of four companies which were purchased by the Department of Defense. Important to make a distinction between purchased and "made for." The Marathon and Stocker and Yale watches were made by contract specifically for the DoD, probably at least partly from specs handed down from DoD. There is nothing to indicate that the Timex Expedition watch shown here, and below, was specifically made for the military. In fact, it is probably a consumer watch, just like any other Timex, or like the Casio G-Shocks that they buy, bought for its features. I think it's something Timex should be proud of, though it's possible that the Timex Corporation might not even be aware of these purchases.

I can't say I'm in love with the look of it, but the DoD bought it for its useful features, not for how nice it may or may not have looked, and certainly not to please the tastes of civilian collectors! Check out the functions provided by this watch (beneath picture, below.) Not sure of the Casios offer all that, and certainly the Marathon and SandY watches, quality watches that they are, don't have these functions.

Digital Compass
Description: All Day INDIGLO® display, NIGHT-MODE® feature, Highly accurate digital compass, 24-hour chonograph with lap or split option, Countdown timer, 24-hour countdown timer, 3 time zones, Water-resistant 50m, Alarm Price: $64.00
Bought it at Wal Mart on their discount rack for $9.47. The only differences are that mine has a beige plastic case, dark gray face, and no digital compass. Also the band is 2 tone leather, black and dark brown, has a compass-like directional rotating bezel in black plastic. I think you are right that DOD bought them for their whole host of features, that's why I got mine, it normally sells for around $40.00, but $10.00 is a much better deal. DOD made a good choice because the Expedition line is really supposed to be able to take a lickin and keep on tickin.

Alan N.
Alan N.

January 29th, 2002, 7:27 pm #6

Got this email today from the Diver's Den, on their supplying the watches to the DOD. Still, I think it's sort of funny how they'd go to a retail outlet, rather than get them directly by order from the Timex Corporation.
===========
"The watches we sold went into the DOD stock system - so they would be open to all branches of the service. We were awarded the contract based on our quotation to the govt - so pricing, delivery, etc. affected the outcome. Any company able to do business with the govt could have quoted as this was an open solicitation. Hope this information helped. Divers Den"

RJ
RJ

February 1st, 2002, 3:04 am #7

Digital Compass
I know a few people who have this watch, and I think it looks really cool. You can't really tell from a photograph. At least I can't. I would have bought one myself but I don't usually like watches with moving bezels.

armybrat
armybrat

February 27th, 2002, 2:40 pm #8

Digital Compass
Well I like it. Especially since it has a compass. Looks like it would go well with hiking boots and a backpack... and nowhere to be for a few days:).