The keeper

The keeper

Dan
Dan

December 18th, 2004, 4:08 am #1

I got tired of matching straps to watches so I decided to clean an oldie. This one is humming right along although I'll have to wind a mainspring to completely restore it. Sorry about the iffy picture.

Calvin Miller
Calvin Miller

December 19th, 2004, 12:19 am #2

Can you tell me some infomation on the timex 400. What years it was produced and what movement it is. I got one in a ebay auction and the case and the face look pretty bad. Would like to restore it. Any infomation would help.
Calvin

technoguy
technoguy

December 19th, 2004, 12:54 am #3

I have one with the Japanese movement in it and it is a well made movement that is certainly on a par with anything made in Switzerland. There is a Timex 400 that has a West German movement in it, but it does not, IMHO, begin to compare with the Japanese ones.

I'm not sure of the years that the Japanese movement was produced, but I think my watch is from the early '60's. My restoration of it has, unfortunately, hit a road block, because I need a new balance wheel and its jeweled bridge and have not had any luck in locating them.

technoguy

Dan
Dan

December 19th, 2004, 10:20 pm #4

Can you tell me some infomation on the timex 400. What years it was produced and what movement it is. I got one in a ebay auction and the case and the face look pretty bad. Would like to restore it. Any infomation would help.
Calvin
I wish I could help, but am relatively new to the Timex history. I do know they have the same basic model made in W. Germany as I found it also. If I find an extra dial I'll let you know and you can have it. There are some super helpful people on this forum. They don't flaunt their expertise, but are ready to help anyone with the interest.So far I have rattled through a lot of the Timex's I have and have seen some bizzare movements. Japan, Germany, France, Waterbury Conn.,I'm cleaning the latter one now.
Thanks,
Dan

Calvin
Calvin

December 20th, 2004, 1:40 am #5

Can you tell me what all you do when you clean a watch. Do you put it in a sonic bath or clean it by hand. And also what kind of oil do you use and where can I get some. I just bought about over 100 old watches and 40 new/old movements. And it also came with a ton of crowns and stems. So maybe I can help someone also in that area.
Thanks
Calvin

Dan
Dan

December 20th, 2004, 2:49 am #6

When I have a movement that is designed to be taken down such as the 400, I take it completely apart and run it through an ultrasonic cleaner.I both clean and then rinse. After that, I move the parts into the agitating cleaning machine for 9 minutes in the cleaning solution then 9 minutes in the rinsing solution. Then I spin the excess rinsing solution and place the works into the dryer for, you guessed it 9 minutes. Next I reassemble the movement oiling the mainspring before installing it onto the plate. After assembly I oil the front plate jewels with a mobius synthetic oil. I use very little oil which was tough to adjust to after working on clocks which you oil more liberally. I use a mobius gear grease for the mainspring and setting mechanisms. I reinstall the dial and hands, then move the movement into the case and oil the rear jewels. After that I run them for a day or so to check the timing, and adjust if necessary. I have disassembled Timexs before and I am not very good at getting them back together with any speed, so if a good cleaning doesn't do the trick, I put in a new movement. I hope I answered at least part of you question.

Calvin
Calvin

December 20th, 2004, 6:01 am #7

Where is a good place to get the equipment that you spoke of that you use and how much. And also the oil.
Thanks
Calvin