Thanks Alan...for What You Do For Us

Thanks Alan...for What You Do For Us

Dorsey H
Dorsey H

December 17th, 2004, 2:18 pm #1

Dear Alan,

As the year nears its end, Will's gift watch to you set my mind to thinking. (a very dangerous thing sometimes). You have done so much for those of us who frequent the Vintage Timex Forum. You set The Forum up back in February, 2001. Previously there was no place (that I'm aware of) where an oddball like me could go to communicate with other (dare I say oddballs???) eccentric people who obsess with 30 to 50 year old Timex watches.

Many people have come and gone on the Forum since then. A few of the "old timers" still drop in from time to time. We now have Forum participants from all over the world. What a hugely successful enterprise you created almost four years ago.

I can't begin to tell you how much education, entertainment and just play fun I've received from you and the other people on this Forum. I suffered a very serious illness early this year and spent several months going back and forth to hospitals and was confined at home. Thankfully the treatments have apparently been very successful. Keeping my sanity during those months wasn't easy. Visiting on the Forum really kept me going mentally and emotionally. I went weeks without making any posts but simply reading what the other Forum people were writing entertained and sustained me tremendously.

I realize there's much you do to keep this Forum going that we never know about. I just wanted to take this opportunity to THANK YOU for what you do.

Wishing You and your Bride (you're still newlyweds in my opinion) a New Year filled with Peace, Good Health and Prosperity.

Dorsey H.

Alan N.
Alan N.

December 17th, 2004, 4:11 pm #2

I started this up, and it took some effort to get it going, and to try to 'spread the word' that the forum existed. Gradually people began to show up, and frankly the 'speed' the forum operates at now makes it so that if you miss few days, you have a lot of catching up to do!

There isn't a major amount of maintenance, really, just making sure the tone is civilized, people aren't posting inapropriate things (very rare here, compared to other watch forums actually,) and generally checking the place out. Once in a while finding a picture of Odessa Gunn to grace the front page, you know stuff like that...

But really, this place would be no place at all without the enthusiasm of the participants.

It's kind of a strange thing for people to 'meet up' over, Timex watches, but the Internet is often stranger than fiction. I am glad this place is here, and just glad people are enjoying it.

Thanks for all your help, enthusiasm and participation, and thanks for your good wishes.

Alan

Ed
Ed

December 17th, 2004, 4:32 pm #3

Dear Alan,

As the year nears its end, Will's gift watch to you set my mind to thinking. (a very dangerous thing sometimes). You have done so much for those of us who frequent the Vintage Timex Forum. You set The Forum up back in February, 2001. Previously there was no place (that I'm aware of) where an oddball like me could go to communicate with other (dare I say oddballs???) eccentric people who obsess with 30 to 50 year old Timex watches.

Many people have come and gone on the Forum since then. A few of the "old timers" still drop in from time to time. We now have Forum participants from all over the world. What a hugely successful enterprise you created almost four years ago.

I can't begin to tell you how much education, entertainment and just play fun I've received from you and the other people on this Forum. I suffered a very serious illness early this year and spent several months going back and forth to hospitals and was confined at home. Thankfully the treatments have apparently been very successful. Keeping my sanity during those months wasn't easy. Visiting on the Forum really kept me going mentally and emotionally. I went weeks without making any posts but simply reading what the other Forum people were writing entertained and sustained me tremendously.

I realize there's much you do to keep this Forum going that we never know about. I just wanted to take this opportunity to THANK YOU for what you do.

Wishing You and your Bride (you're still newlyweds in my opinion) a New Year filled with Peace, Good Health and Prosperity.

Dorsey H.
Being a relative newcomer to the forum, I want to echo Dorsey's sentiments exactly. I have learned so much from the Forum and have made, what I consider to be, lasting friendships focused on 40, 50 + year old Timex watches. I have definately been "bitten" by the Timex bug. Oddly enough, I never owned a Timex until recently. I bought my first wristwatch in 1953 from a man I worked for in the broadcast business. It is an Ollendorf Gothometer chronograph, purchased new in Switzerland, by my then boss, for $300.00. Some watch experts have told me in it's day, this watch was comparable to Rolex in quality. Because he had the "hungries" for an automatic wind watch, and the jeweler would not give him more than 25.00 on trade, I offered him $40.00 (which was all of my paycheck that week) and he quickly removed it from his arm and sold it to me. I have used that watch daily up until about 10 years ago. It still runs, and has just been COA'd. I used it for nearly 45 years as a daily wear. But, I'm now hooked on Timex's, THANKS TO YOU! I am wearing my 1958 Marlin (one of four 50's era Marlins I now own) as I write this note of thanks.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your bride.

Ed

Knut Olsen
Knut Olsen

December 17th, 2004, 5:54 pm #4

Dear Alan,

Dorsey H.
I'd like to join Dorsey H. in his well chosen words for Alan's work and interest in us "oddballs".
Let's hope 2005 will be even more enjoyable!

Knut

Darrin
Darrin

December 17th, 2004, 6:56 pm #5

I started this up, and it took some effort to get it going, and to try to 'spread the word' that the forum existed. Gradually people began to show up, and frankly the 'speed' the forum operates at now makes it so that if you miss few days, you have a lot of catching up to do!

There isn't a major amount of maintenance, really, just making sure the tone is civilized, people aren't posting inapropriate things (very rare here, compared to other watch forums actually,) and generally checking the place out. Once in a while finding a picture of Odessa Gunn to grace the front page, you know stuff like that...

But really, this place would be no place at all without the enthusiasm of the participants.

It's kind of a strange thing for people to 'meet up' over, Timex watches, but the Internet is often stranger than fiction. I am glad this place is here, and just glad people are enjoying it.

Thanks for all your help, enthusiasm and participation, and thanks for your good wishes.

Alan
I too appreciate the forum! I have always liked Timex watches. My first watch as a 2nd grader was a Timex! I probably would have still owned it, if I hadn't lost it playing football! This forum has increased my interest in vintage timex's. I find the urge to go to flea markets in search of them. I have always felt that Timex is the "working man's" watch in the US. A lot of retired guys seem to always have a gold expansion band easy reader!

technoguy
technoguy

December 17th, 2004, 8:44 pm #6

Dear Alan,

Dorsey H.
Thanks for a nice forum, Alan. A great forum is one which can appeal to people with widely varying interests in a topic. This forum is nice because it has a little something for everybody. If you're a die-hard collector of Timex watches, then it's a great place to show off recent acquistions and share information on the history of the company's timepieces. If you're into amateur watchmaking, then its a place to exhange info and advice on that subject. And, if one just wants to wax nostalgic concerning a Timex they love or once owed, then this is the place to do it.

My interest is mainly in the technological evolution of horology and there's no better place to exercise it than at a site that deals with such a technologically innovative watch manufacturer like Timex.

Once again, thanks for your effort and the pleasure it is bringing its many visitors...

technoguy

P.S. I like the no hassle aspect of posting messages on this forum so much, that I am even thinking of starting my own forum! No, it won't deal with watches, but rather with New Age topics and would be attached to my own website's homepage. I never would have gotten the idea for that if I hadn't visited this site by accident...what a lucky accident!

Scott
Scott

December 18th, 2004, 5:42 pm #7

You should start a "watch restoration/maintenance for beginners" site..with the basics for anyone wishing to try their hand at bringing an old watch back to life. I have repaired clocks(built a few digital ones..back when digital clocks were pricy,and it was worthwhile to build one yourself) on occassion, but never restored/repaired a watch, other than changing batteries and bands,and regulating a pocketwatch or two.
This is a fun forum...

RonD.
RonD.

December 18th, 2004, 7:07 pm #8

Alan
I want to add my thanks also. Alan, you really hit a home run with this site! It's been a vital source of information on restoring Timex watches. It is nice that I can go to my local clock shop and give information on fixing Timex watches to my friend who has 30 years experience! I have also met a lot of great folks from all over the world. It really should be sending Timex a message that the interest in these old work-horses is still there. I think it would be great if Timex made an effort to share some information with us from time to time.

I also want to commend all that participate on this forum for "keeping it clean", so to speak. A few of the other sites I visited turned me off with vulgar language and post that were not related to watches.. ie, politics, stock quotes etc... One thing I can count on here are posts that only relate to the watches.

Cheers,
Ron

Jack from Philadelphia
Jack from Philadelphia

December 19th, 2004, 12:42 am #9

Alan
nt