Super Luminova

Super Luminova

Ray
Ray

August 2nd, 2005, 1:25 am #1

I recently bought some Super Luminova from Frei&Borel for 32 bucks plus shipping. Anybody here know what the difference is between the Super Luminova you buy from Frei&Borel and the Strontium Aluminate you buy on e-bay for 7.99 per oz.? I have read that it is all Strontium Aluminate and has a glow time of 12 to 14 hours in green. If there is not a difference I would say that Frei&Borel is making a heck of a profit.
Ray

August 2nd, 2005, 3:39 am #2

There is more in these photoluminescent paints than just strontium aluminate. They also have to have various rare earth phosphors added to them to act as "exciters" or they will not glow. These exciters are expensive elements like europium, samarium, etc.

As more and more of these types of paints appear, each company producing them will get a patent on its own particular proprietary blend of added exciter materials. These will make a difference in how much and how long each paint can glow and the color it will glow in. For example, one paint may not glow as long as another, but will do so more brightly.

I have been told that the "LumiBrite" used by Seiko is currently the industry leader with "Super LumiNova" in second place.

Ideally, one wants one's paint to glow brightly for at least 12 hours and to do so after only a few minutes of exposure to bright room lighting.

technoguy

Ray
Ray

August 2nd, 2005, 5:12 am #3

I am not saying that there lum. is not any good I have had Real good luck with it 8 to 10 hrs. glow fairly easy to apply I use a small oiler and I know about the extra elements. What I am saying is that there are other companies that claim to have the same thing at a way less price I don't know this for a fact but I am going to order some and find out and if I get the same resluts I will let other folks know it's all about saveing money if it is not any good my grandkids will have fun with it.
Ray

August 2nd, 2005, 9:14 am #4

I think that the formula for Super LumiNova is patented, so, unless they licensed it to other companies, all that the other companies can do is try to make something similar, but with a slightly different formula.

A competitor's product may, indeed, perform as well as Super LumiNova and save you some $$$'s in the process.

However, my experience with the photoluminescent paints so far has not been impressive. I ordered a new Croton watch a few months ago that had photoluminescent paint on it. I charged the paint up under a full spectrum fluorescent lamp for about ten minutes and expected it to glow all night long. In reality, it lost its glow after only 20 minutes in the dark and was barely visible.

technoguy

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 2nd, 2005, 11:27 am #5

I recently bought some Super Luminova from Frei&Borel for 32 bucks plus shipping. Anybody here know what the difference is between the Super Luminova you buy from Frei&Borel and the Strontium Aluminate you buy on e-bay for 7.99 per oz.? I have read that it is all Strontium Aluminate and has a glow time of 12 to 14 hours in green. If there is not a difference I would say that Frei&Borel is making a heck of a profit.
Ray
I have used the stuff from ebay and will tell you it does indeed glow for a long time. I come home in the morning sun from work and when I put the watch on later in the day about 10 hours later it is still glowing. It is initially very bright and remains pretty decent for hours. It is a little gritty and I have not compared it to others as far as that goes. I know the same company sells the stuff in a powder form so you can mix it with paint yourself.

I bought two bottles for less than $25 shipping included. It took me almost half a bottle to practice on my watch dials until I figured out how to tape and paint without smearing or tearing the paint off the dial when I removed the tape. It does take a few coats to get a uniform glow. On hands it takes a little more patience that regular paint to get it to spread across a large area; small areas are not that difficult.

If you need some, look up readysetglo. I would highly recommend the paint. Again, I have not had a chance to try out the higher end paints, so I do not have anything to compair this stuff to.

RMF
RMF

August 2nd, 2005, 12:06 pm #6

Ray
I have used the SuperLuminova kit from OF with very good results. I would be curious to see how it compares to the other stuff you are referring to. One of the good things about the SuperLuminova is that it works fairly easily, and provides a smooth application into watch hands. I also like the glue and dilutant that they provide with the kit. But the other stuff may work just as well.

By the way, If you want quickly charge your luminous watch dials, consider picking up one onf those inexpensive LED Ultra-Violet flashlights that readily available on the Bay. I picked up a small (12 LED array) model that runs on 3 AAA's for about $10.00, which I use for a number of purposes. Thes lights work like a super-chargers on luminous paints. I found that it will fully charge the SuperLuminova on my watch dials in about 2-3 seconds. If you pick up one of these, be sure to use it safely and avoid pointing the light at your eyes or skin.

Ray
Ray

August 2nd, 2005, 11:29 pm #7

I have used the stuff from ebay and will tell you it does indeed glow for a long time. I come home in the morning sun from work and when I put the watch on later in the day about 10 hours later it is still glowing. It is initially very bright and remains pretty decent for hours. It is a little gritty and I have not compared it to others as far as that goes. I know the same company sells the stuff in a powder form so you can mix it with paint yourself.

I bought two bottles for less than $25 shipping included. It took me almost half a bottle to practice on my watch dials until I figured out how to tape and paint without smearing or tearing the paint off the dial when I removed the tape. It does take a few coats to get a uniform glow. On hands it takes a little more patience that regular paint to get it to spread across a large area; small areas are not that difficult.

If you need some, look up readysetglo. I would highly recommend the paint. Again, I have not had a chance to try out the higher end paints, so I do not have anything to compair this stuff to.

Thank you all I think Anonymous told me what I needed to know.
Thanks again
Ray