Speaking of breaking rules...

Speaking of breaking rules...

RonD.
RonD.

October 8th, 2005, 3:22 am #1

First of all I say we let Mark (from two posts ago) slide since it was a "first offense". Please come back to the sales page when you have more goodies to sell.

Second, I would like to address another issue that is becoming more of a problem lately. We all know Alans preference that we do not post active Ebay auctions here. The reasons were two-fold.. that we do not use this forum to help sell an item, and that it might stop someone else from getting a real good buy on a poorly constructed auction that others might have missed.

Well lately I have seen quite a few folks post photos from live auctions without posting the actual link to the auction. I think this just as bad as posting the auction. It doesn't take much work to find those items with a simple search on Ebay.

That being said, I would like to suggest that we stop the posting of photos from live auctions.
Just a suggestion,
Ron

technoguy
technoguy

October 8th, 2005, 10:24 am #2

It's been a time honored tradition at this forum not to link to active actions or their images...kind of like this forum's "Prime Directive". This gives those who have done the searching and tracking of the auction the full benefit of their efforts and maximizes their chance of getting the item at the best price possible...

technoguy

Knut
Knut

October 8th, 2005, 10:36 am #3

First of all I say we let Mark (from two posts ago) slide since it was a "first offense". Please come back to the sales page when you have more goodies to sell.

Second, I would like to address another issue that is becoming more of a problem lately. We all know Alans preference that we do not post active Ebay auctions here. The reasons were two-fold.. that we do not use this forum to help sell an item, and that it might stop someone else from getting a real good buy on a poorly constructed auction that others might have missed.

Well lately I have seen quite a few folks post photos from live auctions without posting the actual link to the auction. I think this just as bad as posting the auction. It doesn't take much work to find those items with a simple search on Ebay.

That being said, I would like to suggest that we stop the posting of photos from live auctions.
Just a suggestion,
Ron
...first a break to Mark - an honest mistake. I remember my first post on this forum: it was a link to a live auction ( although in Sweden, but still... )! I was kindly corrected, and everything went fine ( I'm still here! ).

I agree with the posting of pics as well: lets stick to pics from ended auctions and our own watches. Makes sense.

Knut

EdH
EdH

October 8th, 2005, 12:54 pm #4

Just a suggestion,
Ron
nt

October 8th, 2005, 5:59 pm #5

Just a suggestion,
Ron
I think we should be uncompromising on the rules, and in cases like this, should not buy any item advertised in the main forum, unless it's something like the watchbands that have been OK'd in advance by Alan.

On the other hand, If Mark wants to participate within the rules, I'll be more than willing to make him welcome--I don't think he should be banned or shunned for a single violation.

Alan N.
Alan N.

October 8th, 2005, 7:52 pm #6

Just a suggestion,
Ron
Bookmark the auctions you find interesting, and when they are concluded, feel free to link the auction, or attach any pictures. In fact, I find this a fun part of the forum.

In some circumstances, someone might want to post 'about' an auction in progress, for example if he has a question he wants to ask the Forum before bidding. For example, 'does anyone know if the Timex square case watches from the 50s had the same movements as the Timex round case watches from the 50s?'

In this case, the individual might have seen a square case Timex on an auction, he likes it, but the seller describes the watch as broken. He wants to know if he might be able to swap a running mvt from a less desirable watch into his desired square Timex. But this seems different than posting the links and pictures of the watch.

Also, I cut Mark slack, I don't think he was violating rules in a wanton, malicious way. Anyway, he is probably gone now that he sold his lot, as I recall he was a collector of marbles or something and probably has little residual interest in Timex.

rltbod
rltbod

October 8th, 2005, 9:32 pm #7

who on earth would collect marbles? You'll be telling me next people collect watches other than TIMEX

Richard
Richard

October 8th, 2005, 10:02 pm #8

Just a suggestion,
Ron
a couple of years ago, i did the same thing that Mark has done,posted something for sale in the forun and recieved much harsher responces at that time...my problem was that i was not famelier with the site and the forum,was just trying to get rid of some stuff i didn't want...i think most people that visit here for the first time start reading the post and them later go back and read the intro and find out about the sale page..you should have noticed that its new visitors to the site that post in the forum...its probably be much better if you explain to the new person how it works around here,,without biteing their heads off.i know i didn't come back for over a year because of the attitude that was displayed.a few of the people here are getting to know me and probably say that i'm not a bad sort of person and that i am willing to be helpfull if i can be.Mark is not a bad sort of person either,,and he collect guns (bang bang) not marbles.
Richard

Alan N.
Alan N.

October 9th, 2005, 6:26 am #9

Yeah, about the 'rules' I personally don't get wigged out too much, mention it, and the person soon understands.

John
John

October 9th, 2005, 4:42 pm #10

Just a suggestion,
Ron
also that posts of active auctions are out of line. And that said, a little slack should be cut on the issue of posting something for sale THE FIRST TIME.