Raw material!!!

Raw material!!!

C.W.
C.W.

May 22nd, 2005, 3:09 am #1

Very happily acquired some new lots from Ebay!
Can't wait to start cleaning and refurbishing this mess!
Here is the "before" picture!

I scored a calendar band! Yee-haw, as they say out here!

I'll post an "after" picture in a few weeks, maybe?
What are you cats working on! Pictures please!

--Charlie

doublebarrel
doublebarrel

May 22nd, 2005, 4:28 am #2

The one at upper right corner, doesn't seem to have a "face". No dial nor hands...

Knut
Knut

May 22nd, 2005, 8:54 am #3

--Charlie
You wanted pics - here's some of what I have recently restored.

I bought some beat up Timex's in a lot from Semus here at the Forum. Like you say C.W. - I could not wait to start digging through the small pile of watches! It's a great hobby - I guess we're like kids on our birthday or Christmas...! Anyway, there were a few interesting watches in the pile. Here's three of them. Two of them might seem "boring" but to me they are stylish:

First there is this SAGA from Timex. Always wanted one, but never seemed to find one. This particular watch is from 1979 ( has a "Timex" modelno. on the bottom: 8612910479 ). Turned out quite nice - but I will put a black leather band on it - it propably had that when new. I disassembled the watch, soaked the movement in dishwashing liquid ( that's the only thing I use these days ), rinsed it, oiled it and it runs great.

The second one is another "boring" Timex - again with the white dial. I bet this was one of the cheapest mens Timex's of it's time. From 1971 with the 24 movement - no seconds hand, which makes it a bit more interesting. Did the same with this one as I did with the SAGA, and it runs great. The watch itself is in very good condition, as the case and dial was excellent. I'm also done with a Timex Sprite "Military" ( bottom pic ), but I'm not sure if it has the original hands. This one has no modelno. - just "Great Britain." The band is certainly not original; just thought it suited the watch. This one was also from the same "pile."

Share your pics folks - always great to see what you're working on / aquired lately!

SAGA from 1979
[/IMG]

TIMEX from 1971
[/IMG]

TIMEX Sprite from 1966-68?
[/IMG]

Knut

technoguy
technoguy

May 22nd, 2005, 9:43 am #4

Knut...they're very, very nice...not boring at all. Although I would prefer a goldtone finish, I like the white dials with black numerals...kind of reminds me of the pocket watch era. My present "daily" Timex "Easy Reader" Indiglo has a white dial with black numerals. I can read it no matter how bleary-eyed I might be.

Glad to hear that you are using dishwashing liquid to clean the movements. It really does work very well and there is no toxic mess to clean up afterwards.

technoguy

RonD.
RonD.

May 23rd, 2005, 4:00 am #5

--Charlie
Hey you wanted pictures, so here goes. I have a pile of pre-1962 Timex watches to clean, and will be starting in the next week or so, but in the mean time I have 2 really cool pocket watches I just finished getting in shape:

The Mongomery dial on this one is worth more than what I paid for the entire watch!

I had been looking for a display case for my 1903 Hamilton 940 for a while, and finally won a great NOS one on Ebay. Although expensive, it was still cheaper than most of the ones I had seen and besides being New-Old-Stock, has screw-on bezels. I felt the watch deserved a beautiful case like that.

Cheers,
Ron

C.W>
C.W>

May 24th, 2005, 2:57 am #6

I don't have one of those. I tend to stick to wristwatches. But those are so nice looking I may scout around. (just what I need, more timepieces!)

--Charlie

RonD.
RonD.

May 25th, 2005, 1:35 am #7

Thanks Charlie,

I got involved with pocket watches a year or so ago. I found some old Elgin wrist watches and found out that they had small pocket watch movements in them. I gradually worked to larger size 18 ones. I really enjoy working on them, they are real fun to clean and it seems that as long as the balance staff is not broken, they almost always will work. I used my profit from the watches I have been selling on Ebay to buy them both.. that way I could get a higher grade watch (the 940 Hamilton has 21 jewels) and not worry too much about the cost. Let me know if you get one!

Ron

Knut
Knut

May 25th, 2005, 1:38 pm #8

They are prestine - great job! I have a few pocket watches myself, but NONE are as nice as the ones pictured in your post. Keep posting pics - it's great to see your work.

Knut

C.W. Cale
C.W. Cale

May 26th, 2005, 5:03 am #9

The one at upper right corner, doesn't seem to have a "face". No dial nor hands...
Special 'Harry Potter' Timex!
You have to be a Hogwarts Graduate to see it.
I'll it to ya! Only $100!

--Charlie