Inkstamp code help

Inkstamp code help

October 1st, 2005, 1:28 am #1

I'm going through my pre-1963 Timexes to see if I can figure out when they were made. My Seiko/Timex 400 has a faint inkstamp in the back of

10A61

...which doesn't seem to correlate with anything I've seen. Jose's post a few weeks ago on inkstamps doesn't seem to match with this at all, which could indicate that it is 1958, before they started that stamping scheme. Does that sound right?

C.W.
C.W.

October 1st, 2005, 3:27 am #2

Those could very possibly be stamped by customs, or by repair shops. I haven't heard of manufacturers using them.

--Charlie

RonD.
RonD.

October 1st, 2005, 3:49 am #3

I'm going through my pre-1963 Timexes to see if I can figure out when they were made. My Seiko/Timex 400 has a faint inkstamp in the back of

10A61

...which doesn't seem to correlate with anything I've seen. Jose's post a few weeks ago on inkstamps doesn't seem to match with this at all, which could indicate that it is 1958, before they started that stamping scheme. Does that sound right?
Dave,

I found this site a while back:

http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jgauch/watch/seiko.html

It will give you info on Seiko production numbers. I don't know if it will help on the Timex, but you still might find it helpful on other Seikos.

Ron

Fred. Olsen
Fred. Olsen

October 2nd, 2005, 9:29 pm #4

Those could very possibly be stamped by customs, or by repair shops. I haven't heard of manufacturers using them.

--Charlie
C.W. erred:

> Those could very possibly be stamped by customs, or by repair shops.
> I haven't heard of manufacturers using them.

Haven't you seen? MOST vintage Timex cases bear inkstamps.

C.W.
C.W.

October 3rd, 2005, 1:43 am #5

I was told those were repair shop stamps to track repair jobs.
The Timex plant put those in there? Huh!
Something new every day!
--Charlie

EdH
EdH

October 3rd, 2005, 3:34 am #6

Someone told you wrong, Charlie. I have several Timex's from the 50's and early 60's with ink stamps on the inside caseback, indicating the year of production.

As my friend Paul Harvey would say: "And NOW, you know the REST of the story."

Cheers,

Ed

John
John

October 3rd, 2005, 3:46 pm #7

10A61

10A61 as shown by Sevesteen's original post would lead one to belive it means the 10th day of August in 1961. However not all of the stamped codes seem to use the same "logic". Sometimes it seems that the "Alphs" are more like the U. S auto manufacturers, and represent the year very much like the method Enland uses to "Hallmark" gold and silver.I would again appeal to "Fred Olsen" to be more forthcoming with information if he has it. If he intends for this to be a "Deepthroat" type of search for the answers, I not sure it will work.

October 3rd, 2005, 5:22 pm #8

According to what I've seen here, the last year for the 400 was 1959 or 1960. That's reinforced by my service manual--It covers from 1960 to 1965, and doesn't mention either the 400 or any men's 17 jewel movement.

My best guess is still 1958--First year of the 400, and the last year before the 2 character codes.

RMF
RMF

October 3rd, 2005, 6:02 pm #9

Are referring to the stamp on the inside of the back cover? If so, is it possible that the cover on your watch is not original, but swapped in from a later watch?

October 3rd, 2005, 7:17 pm #10

The cover is stamped Timex 400-Even if it was switched from one 400 to another, both still had to come from 1958-1960

I'm going to claim 1958, until I see other evedence.