I'm going to build a "new" watch.......

I'm going to build a "new" watch.......

EdH
EdH

June 23rd, 2005, 2:22 am #1

OK, Timexicans, I've done it...I've ordered the component parts to build a 25 jewel automatic watch. Hopefully, the parts will be here next week.

It will have an ETA 2824-2 25j automatic movement. Check the pix below of a copy of a finished watch case and the movement.

I have decided to put luminous hands on my watch in the Bergeon stick style similar to pix. And, don't worry Technoguy, the luminous hands hardly move a Geiger counter, but I can only wear the watch 30 minutes a day. (He..he..he..he, to borrow a giggle from RonD) Actually, the hands are coated with Luminova, non-Radium luminous material.

I will photograph the parts when they arrive and give you a step by step photo journal of my project.

I know several of you have contemplated doing this, and maybe my pioneer move will encourage you to give it a try, also.

Wish me success....

Cheers,

Ed

June 23rd, 2005, 5:31 am #2

Not bad for a customized job. I do love the ETA 25 jewel automatic movements...they are definitely top notch for accuracy and reliability.

So how much is this creation going to cost you? Hopefully, it will only be a small fraction of what a retailer would charge for a similar watch with a fancy manufacturer's name on it. If you are successful in assembling the watch, then maybe you could list the part numbers here for anybody else who might want to learn about watches by assembling their own.

Yes, photoluminescent hands are the way to go. Anyway, best of luck with the project.

technoguy

C.W. Cale
C.W. Cale

June 23rd, 2005, 10:54 am #3

OK, Timexicans, I've done it...I've ordered the component parts to build a 25 jewel automatic watch. Hopefully, the parts will be here next week.

It will have an ETA 2824-2 25j automatic movement. Check the pix below of a copy of a finished watch case and the movement.

I have decided to put luminous hands on my watch in the Bergeon stick style similar to pix. And, don't worry Technoguy, the luminous hands hardly move a Geiger counter, but I can only wear the watch 30 minutes a day. (He..he..he..he, to borrow a giggle from RonD) Actually, the hands are coated with Luminova, non-Radium luminous material.

I will photograph the parts when they arrive and give you a step by step photo journal of my project.

I know several of you have contemplated doing this, and maybe my pioneer move will encourage you to give it a try, also.

Wish me success....

Cheers,

Ed
Best of luck! Can't wait to see the results!
-C

RMF
RMF

June 23rd, 2005, 11:44 am #4

Wish me success....

Cheers,

Ed
I recognize all these parts from the current Otto Frei catalog. I have been thinking about building a new mechanical military style from their parts as well. There is no question in my mind that the total price for all the parts is drastically lower then the price you would pay at retail, even discounted, for a watch of like quality. Plus, you get the added satisfaction from selecting all of the components and assemling it yourself.

Question regarding the luminous: You indicate that you are opting for luminous hands. What about the dial? Does the dial come with luminous on the indices, or are you planning to add that yourself when you build the watch? I have been meaning to contact them to find out if the military style dials (24 hours, white numerals against black background) have luminous.
Good luck with the project

EdH
EdH

June 23rd, 2005, 11:47 am #5

Not bad for a customized job. I do love the ETA 25 jewel automatic movements...they are definitely top notch for accuracy and reliability.

So how much is this creation going to cost you? Hopefully, it will only be a small fraction of what a retailer would charge for a similar watch with a fancy manufacturer's name on it. If you are successful in assembling the watch, then maybe you could list the part numbers here for anybody else who might want to learn about watches by assembling their own.

Yes, photoluminescent hands are the way to go. Anyway, best of luck with the project.

technoguy
Hi Technoguy,

The total cost for the watch parts, including shipping is $119.90. (And that price includes a alternate set of hands for the movement: 1-non-luminous set, plus an extra red sweep hand. If you subtract the extra hands, you're looking at about $114.00) The best price I have found for a watch with an ETA movement is about $232.00. And that's a discounted price. My Ernest Borel with an ETA movement was $232 but retail was $299 So, I'm able to build it for less than half-price! Thanks for the comments and encouragement.

Ed

Morganeer
Morganeer

June 23rd, 2005, 1:00 pm #6

I too have been wanting to do this for a while.
Where are you sourceing the parts from?
And does your supplier have an online catalog?

Thanx.

EdH
EdH

June 23rd, 2005, 1:19 pm #7

I recognize all these parts from the current Otto Frei catalog. I have been thinking about building a new mechanical military style from their parts as well. There is no question in my mind that the total price for all the parts is drastically lower then the price you would pay at retail, even discounted, for a watch of like quality. Plus, you get the added satisfaction from selecting all of the components and assemling it yourself.

Question regarding the luminous: You indicate that you are opting for luminous hands. What about the dial? Does the dial come with luminous on the indices, or are you planning to add that yourself when you build the watch? I have been meaning to contact them to find out if the military style dials (24 hours, white numerals against black background) have luminous.
Good luck with the project
No, the indices are NOT luminous. However, that is not a problem, at least in my opinion, as I have seen many watches with luminous hands and non-luminous indices. In the dark we can tell, by the position of the hands, the correct time. As for using such a watch in night manuevers, I think not. At the present time, I do not plan to paint the indices. I may change my mind later, as Otto Frei sells the Luminova paints.

Hope this answers you question.

Ed

EdH
EdH

June 23rd, 2005, 1:23 pm #8

I too have been wanting to do this for a while.
Where are you sourceing the parts from?
And does your supplier have an online catalog?

Thanx.
My source is: www.ofrei.com

This is the website for Otto Frei & Jules Borel. Look in the left hand panel of their home page and you will see a link for "Watch Materials". Follow that link and you will see a page of links for any watch component you need.

Yes, you can order online, or by snail mail with a check or money order.

Hope this answers you question.

Ed

Alan N.
Alan N.

June 23rd, 2005, 1:53 pm #9

Wish me success....

Cheers,

Ed
Are you going to put a name on the dial?!

Good work!
alan

EdH
EdH

June 23rd, 2005, 2:36 pm #10

Until I get the parts in hand, and see from what material the dial made, I will put that item on hold. I was thinking about asking RonD to personalize it for me, and if a blank dial for the watch could be obtained, I was toying with the idea of asking RonD to duplicate the face of Dorsey's Dream Watch on it. However, that will have to wait. Any thoughts on printing a name on the dial face? had even thought about labeling it: "TYMEX" or "TIMECKS",(to borrow another RonD giggle...He..he..he..) but I can't afford a copyright infringement suit.

Thanks for your kind remarks. BTW, sorry about the fire near your home...glad you were not hurt or your home destroyed.

Cheers,

Ed