Going from the first to the last..

Going from the first to the last..

owen
owen

November 10th, 2001, 9:59 pm #1

..or one of a few million last. This is the late model mechanical I mentioned before.

To save clicking, here's a recap. Serial number 2495210592, thus 1992. Purchased at a Timex sale kiosk set up in a WalMart a few Christmas's ago. The last run of mechanical wrist watches was in 1993 from the Cebu, Philippines plant.

The movement fills the case. The small back cap only gives you access to disconnect the winder and push the works out the front. Sounds horrible, but it does appear to be built for that pressure, not for using a crystal compression tool. The crystal snaps back in with little trouble.

Never did get the digital camera, so I've scanned it. The scratches and crack in the crystal have disappeared. It's actually in very poor condition as I had used it while building furniture. (Just doing my part to make the breed more rare.)

On the back, to the right of the big T, is 'A4'. The case has a satin finish on front. The green of the dial is almost as dark as the scan.

Strap was brown leather with white stitching with what's possibly an aluminum buckle. Hard to tell; a T6 aluminum can feel like steel. It's a write-off.

November 11th, 2001, 12:18 am #2

First to last, not a lot has changed! Good but simple looks, emphasis on function and readibility, and value. I wonder when Timex went to the slanted TIMEX logo on the dials, leaning to the right. The T in the box, on the caseback I have only seen in an old catalog, but not on the backs of any of the 50s-70s Timex I own.

Nice watch and post!

Brian
Brian

January 11th, 2002, 6:48 am #3

I purchased an Acqua mechanical watch a few years ago with the same type of back, face of the watch looks like a throwback to the watches of the 1960's with goldtone bar markers on the face, and date window, really nice watch.

Brian
Brian

January 16th, 2002, 6:04 am #4

..or one of a few million last. This is the late model mechanical I mentioned before.

To save clicking, here's a recap. Serial number 2495210592, thus 1992. Purchased at a Timex sale kiosk set up in a WalMart a few Christmas's ago. The last run of mechanical wrist watches was in 1993 from the Cebu, Philippines plant.

The movement fills the case. The small back cap only gives you access to disconnect the winder and push the works out the front. Sounds horrible, but it does appear to be built for that pressure, not for using a crystal compression tool. The crystal snaps back in with little trouble.

Never did get the digital camera, so I've scanned it. The scratches and crack in the crystal have disappeared. It's actually in very poor condition as I had used it while building furniture. (Just doing my part to make the breed more rare.)

On the back, to the right of the big T, is 'A4'. The case has a satin finish on front. The green of the dial is almost as dark as the scan.

Strap was brown leather with white stitching with what's possibly an aluminum buckle. Hard to tell; a T6 aluminum can feel like steel. It's a write-off.
Timex apparently also made mechanical watches under the Acqua name too, I have one. Goldtone case, back tapers to a small center cap says water resistant on the caseback but no wave marker, made in the Phillipines has the big T and to the right of the T it says B9. Face of the watch looks like brushed stainless steel with the Acqua name under the 12 and the words water resistant with no wave marker above the 6. Markers on the face are goldtone bar markers and it has a date window like yours. One other odd thing is that on the back of the case on one of the horns that stick out to attach the watchband to there appears to be what looks like a raised number 2. Don't know what that is all about. Watchband is original, looks like dark brown leather, lizard grain, is actually vinyl, made in Hong Kong, will probably outlast a regular leather watchband. I rarely wore this watch because I used to have jobs where my watch would get banged around a lot and I did not want to damage it, now I don't have that type of job anymore and can wear it on a daily basis. I forgot how much I enjoyed a wind up watch on my wrist instead of one of a million digital watches that I banged around, some of which were Timex. I got this watch at a local discount store near me a few years ago and thought it was odd that Timex was still making wind up watches while cranking out quartz ones by the millions. Turns out that the one I got, along with a couple of ladies Acqua wind ups were the only ones they had, never saw them again after I got mine. There were no Timex wind ups in the display case, only mine and the ladies watches amidst a sea of quartz Timexes.