Favorite Timex ever

Favorite Timex ever

RJ
RJ

November 11th, 2004, 5:41 pm #1

What's your favorite Timex, new or vintage?

Mine was probably a common watch for it's time. Circa early 1980's. I think it was kind of like the basic, no frills wind-up, or may have been quartz. But it was not the regular circular case. It was a little bigger, maybe. I like the cases where the lugs are more elongated.

The numerals were like standard Arabic script. (Italicized 1,2,3,4,...). Large and easy to read. I like that better than the block Arabic. They had it in white or gold tone. I wanted to buy one but they went out of production before I got around to it.

The closest thing I've seen today are some of the Expeditions. I like the plastic and aluminum cases also.

C.W. Cale
C.W. Cale

November 12th, 2004, 5:42 am #2

Everyone is going to say, "Can you really have ONE favorite Timex?" But I'll play!

Since I started getting so involved with Timex, I had been looking for a certain watch. It's not that I had a certain model in my head, I just wanted certain features. I wanted a dark blue face, day/date and it had to be an autowinder.

Then one night on Ebay I saw this;

Who knew it existed? I stuck it out and won the auction. This arrived in the mail and it's dang near perfect! It's my favorite watch so far.

--Charlie

technoguy
technoguy

November 12th, 2004, 8:33 am #3

Mine was probably a common watch for it's time. Circa early 1980's. I think it was kind of like the basic, no frills wind-up, or may have been quartz. But it was not the regular circular case. It was a little bigger, maybe. I like the cases where the lugs are more elongated.

The numerals were like standard Arabic script. (Italicized 1,2,3,4,...). Large and easy to read. I like that better than the block Arabic. They had it in white or gold tone. I wanted to buy one but they went out of production before I got around to it.

The closest thing I've seen today are some of the Expeditions. I like the plastic and aluminum cases also.
My favorite Timex was, quite unfortuately, one I never owned! I mentioned it in an earlier post concerning an inquiry about Timex's with Tonneau shaped cases.

My favorite Timex had a Tonneau case and placed the day and date windows on top of each other at the 6 o'clock position. Its dial used bar markers instead of numbers. I think it was an early quartz analog model. I have looked at various auction sites and flea markets, but have never seen any of this model for sale.

I think it was the high symmetry of the watch dial layout that I found most attractive. The only other watch company I have ever seen that used something similar was Rado on their "Diastar" models which cost a lot more than a Timex (but I guess the cost was justified because I think they were the first to use tungsten carbide for a watch case and synthetic sapphire for the crystal so that these, at least, would be very scratch resistant).

technoguy

RJ
RJ

November 12th, 2004, 1:35 pm #4

Everyone is going to say, "Can you really have ONE favorite Timex?" But I'll play!

Since I started getting so involved with Timex, I had been looking for a certain watch. It's not that I had a certain model in my head, I just wanted certain features. I wanted a dark blue face, day/date and it had to be an autowinder.

Then one night on Ebay I saw this;

Who knew it existed? I stuck it out and won the auction. This arrived in the mail and it's dang near perfect! It's my favorite watch so far.

--Charlie
That's a cool watch. I've always liked that style of case.

RJ
RJ

November 12th, 2004, 2:05 pm #5

My favorite Timex was, quite unfortuately, one I never owned! I mentioned it in an earlier post concerning an inquiry about Timex's with Tonneau shaped cases.

My favorite Timex had a Tonneau case and placed the day and date windows on top of each other at the 6 o'clock position. Its dial used bar markers instead of numbers. I think it was an early quartz analog model. I have looked at various auction sites and flea markets, but have never seen any of this model for sale.

I think it was the high symmetry of the watch dial layout that I found most attractive. The only other watch company I have ever seen that used something similar was Rado on their "Diastar" models which cost a lot more than a Timex (but I guess the cost was justified because I think they were the first to use tungsten carbide for a watch case and synthetic sapphire for the crystal so that these, at least, would be very scratch resistant).

technoguy
Dials with both day and date look good. The new Timex dress watches have some watches with a date at 6 o'clock.

C.W. Cale
C.W. Cale

November 12th, 2004, 5:10 pm #6

technoguy
According to your description, this watch would almost be the antithesis of your favorite. Not symetrical at all, but still a tonneau case... sort of?
As odd as this watch is it's another favorite Timex, maybe because of it's oddness.

--Charlie

Darrin
Darrin

November 12th, 2004, 5:39 pm #7

That's a cool watch. I've always liked that style of case.
It reminds me of the Seiko's from the 70's! A cool timeless design case.

John L
John L

November 12th, 2004, 8:44 pm #8

My favorite Timex has always been a stainless steel diver model that Timex released during the 1980s. It was 100% steel, with a screw-down back and crown, on a steel bracelet. Black face, with little tiny luminous dots and sticks for markers, luminous hands and a non-racheting elapsed time bezel.

I totally wanted one, but it cost around $60, which was waayy too much for me (I was like 15 at the time...wore a Black Max II then). It seemed so plainly, basically functional, not decorative or "jewelry-like" at all.

Many years later, I still keep my eye out for one, on Ebay or in old drugstores with musty old upright Timex displays (you never know what you'll find in old decrepit drugstores...I ALWAYS stop in them when I come across them).

It's a fond musing that ONE DAY, I'll find one of those divers, NOS, but battery long-dead, sitting there in some yellowed display case, with that same $60 price tag on it...

DennisM
DennisM

November 13th, 2004, 1:30 am #9

According to your description, this watch would almost be the antithesis of your favorite. Not symetrical at all, but still a tonneau case... sort of?
As odd as this watch is it's another favorite Timex, maybe because of it's oddness.

--Charlie
That is the strangest Timex I have seen in a long time. Trying to tell the time with the upper dial is a challenge. And what is with the four 11 markers on the lower dial at 3,6,9 and 11! Wierd! DennisM

technoguy
technoguy

November 13th, 2004, 6:42 am #10

--Charlie
Interesting dual time zone watch. Looks like a watch inside a watch. If I had been designing the dial, I would have split it horizontally through the middle and put two equal sized dials in the upper and lower halves. I love symmetry and find it aesthetically pleasing...assymmetry, on the other hand, does to my eye what a sour note does to my ear!

technoguy

P.S. Thanks for posting the image.