cerrium oxide for glass scratch removal

cerrium oxide for glass scratch removal

yannacat
yannacat

July 5th, 2005, 10:48 pm #1

Would anyone know where I can get cerrium oxide in a stick form? By using this with a buffing wheel, it can remove scratches on glass and plastic. Have tried all the supply houses, e-bay and optical companies but no luck. Was told that they used to make this years ago and the people that I talked to can't remember who the supplier was. Any help would be most appreciated!

RMF
RMF

July 6th, 2005, 12:13 pm #2

Did you check Caswell Plating? I know they sell a cerium glass polish in powder form. I don't know if they offer it in bar form.

yannacat
yannacat

July 6th, 2005, 10:42 pm #3

Thanks, I'll give them a try.

Paul N.
Paul N.

July 6th, 2005, 10:47 pm #4

Would anyone know where I can get cerrium oxide in a stick form? By using this with a buffing wheel, it can remove scratches on glass and plastic. Have tried all the supply houses, e-bay and optical companies but no luck. Was told that they used to make this years ago and the people that I talked to can't remember who the supplier was. Any help would be most appreciated!
20 years ago I worked in the optical business and we used Cerium Oxide to polish glass lenses. It was NEVER in stick form, only powder, because it had to be mixed with water to be used. (It was pumped up and sprayed onto the lenses while they went back and forth over the laps.) Later, when that stuff got too expensive, the wholesalers switched to something called Rareox - a trade name that stood for rare-earth oxides. Presumably that's what they still use. Try to get some of the stuff that optical shops use to polish glass and use that.

yannacat
yannacat

July 7th, 2005, 3:09 am #5

I did get a stick of something from Sadler Optical that was supposed to work on glass. All it did was shine the glass scratches. I will ask my optician if he knows who supplies Rareox. Thanks for the info.