Another Vintage NOS beauty I just won.....

Another Vintage NOS beauty I just won.....

EdH
EdH

July 6th, 2005, 2:09 am #1

Hello Timexicans,

Well, I snagged another beauty...a 1967 Timex mechanical NOS, never worn.

Feast your eyes upon it....

Just like it came from the factory. A real bargain price, too.

Can't wait for it to arrive.

Just wanted to share this with all of you.

Cheers,

Ed

July 6th, 2005, 3:32 am #2

Getting a NOS watch is always a pleasant experience...you feel almost like you went back in time, purchased the watch, and then returned to the present with it.

However, as we've discussed here in the past year several times, its always a good idea to not immediately wear the watch but give it a routine oiling before running it. Some watchmakers might also insist on cleaning the movement too just in case any of the old oil has turned rancid and formed gummy deposits on the gears and bearings. I, however, have not encountered this problem as much as the actual absence of oil on unrun movements stored for long periods of time.

Some NOS watches will have lost most or all of their oil through evaporation over the decades (despite having intact back and crown seals) and the wheel bearings can be nearly dry. The watch may run for a brief period of time after it is first wound up, but then fail as metallic grit builds up on its unoiled gear teeth and bearings. A routine preliminary oiling can prevent this catastrophe from happening. I recommend oiling the bearings AND the gear teeth since the most metallic grit can build up on these if they are dry.

technoguy

C.W.
C.W.

July 6th, 2005, 3:42 am #3

Hello Timexicans,

Cheers,

Ed
I really love that style. I have a silver one I wear quite often.

Your's looks perfect! Well done!

--Charlie

Knut
Knut

July 6th, 2005, 11:44 am #4

Hello Timexicans,

Cheers,

Ed
That's a great looking watch. I have an identical one ( + the date ) and it's very comfortable. I sometimes use it as a dress watch. Good luck with it!

Knut

Dorsey H.
Dorsey H.

July 6th, 2005, 2:54 pm #5

Hello Timexicans,

Cheers,

Ed
Hey...if your NOS Timex came with it's original papers...it's even more valuable/collectible. Sometimes those old "owner's instruction" paper tri-folds are a great source of info about those vintage Timex watches.

I'm told there are a lot of NOS vintage Timex watches out there in the back storerooms of old drug stores and jewelry shops. I've never been so lucky as to run across any of them but I keep hoping.

Thanks for sharing.

Dorsey H.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 6th, 2005, 4:16 pm #6

Hello Timexicans,

Cheers,

Ed
Too nice..Lucky you! Side note: If you're ever out riding around on the back roads,and see a mom-n-pop shop that's obviously been there for a while, stop in and look..sometimes, you find NOS stuff there, for the price it originally sold for..or less.

ronD.
ronD.

July 6th, 2005, 7:40 pm #7

Hello Timexicans,

Cheers,

Ed
Nice watch Ed. Do you plan on wearing it? I was just curious if some of my fellow Timexicans buy the NOS ones, box, papers, etc. and just keep them as such or do they get their turn in the rotation.

I think I have only bought watches I would actually wear. I have been offered many watches from folks that have a box and papers, being told to just "put it away" because it is an investment. I canmot personally see the point in buying a watch if I can't wear it. Must have something to do with having a father who was an upholsterer.. he always hated those plastic slip-covers.. "why would you want to sit on plastic!!".

Ron

EdH
EdH

July 6th, 2005, 8:07 pm #8

a little bath of Moebus oil. Like you, Ron, I don't believe in collecting a watch and not wearing it. I learned that from a "high dollar" watch collector, who has the same philosophy. I will keep the original box and papers, but it will be on my wrist periodically.

Thanks for the compliments.

Cheers,

Ed