A question about color "coordination"...

A question about color "coordination"...

technoguy
technoguy

July 15th, 2005, 10:05 am #1

Well, I am soon to have, perhaps, only the third silver tone watch I have ever owned out of a total of several dozens of watches...all of the rest being gold tone.

I think that I have hesitated buying silver tone watches in the past and especially the currently popular stainless steel ones because I find silver tone to be somewhat "cold" while gold tone is "warm". However, I must admit that there are other advantages to a silver tone steel watch.

The main advantage is that one does not have to worry about gold electroplating wearing or flaking off over the years. And, of course, another advantage is that stainless steel is a LOT cheaper than gold.

Now, here's my dilemma. I will be wearing a stainless steel wristwatch on my left arm, but on my right arm and hand I will be wearing a gold bracelet and gold ring.

So, my question is if there are others out there that avoid this color "clash" or if there are others who mix their jewelry color tones and find it acceptable.

I know that this may sound like a trivial issue, but over the last few days I have be scrutinizing the color coordinations of jewelry on my fellow male jewelry wearers and, surprisingly, I can not find a single one who is mixing gold tone with silver tone! It seems that when I find someone who is wearing a stainless steel watch, then they are either not wearing any gold rings or bracelets or are wearing white gold or silver ones. And, when I find someone with a yellow gold ring and bracelet, then they are either not wearing a watch or are wearing one that is gold tone!

I think I would feel a lot better about wearing my new stainless steel watch (which won't arrive until the end of this month) if I could find one person who was mixing the color tones as I will have to. I mean, even when I watch a cable tv watch show, I notice that the majority of watches being sold are stainless steel and even the show hosts are wearing WHITE gold jewelry during the presentation!

So, tell me...is mixing silver and gold tone jewelry considered an unforgivable faux pas or am I just imagining things?

technoguy

EdH
EdH

July 15th, 2005, 11:07 am #2

Like the song says..."Don't Worry...Be Happy" with your mixed metals. I have always preferred silver-tone watches, stainless steel, etc, with stainless steel bracelets on them. And I wear a "Gold" wedding band. No big deal.

If anybody comments, just ignore them! Enjoy your stainless steel watch.

Cheers,

Ed

John
John

July 15th, 2005, 3:35 pm #3

and you will find many "silver" and "gold" tone color combos. In fact I just walked over to my work table and picked up a Bill Blass with a gold and silver mixed band, a silver faced dial with gold numbers, hands and a silver case. There is also a Pulsar with a similar gold and silver combination. I belive that the big "ROLLY" also uses the silver/gold combination.What will really get people upset with you is if they look at your watch and it's not keeping the correct time, even when they don't bother to wear a watch. Good luck with your journey into the world of "fashion".

C.W.
C.W.

July 15th, 2005, 5:52 pm #4

Well, I am soon to have, perhaps, only the third silver tone watch I have ever owned out of a total of several dozens of watches...all of the rest being gold tone.

I think that I have hesitated buying silver tone watches in the past and especially the currently popular stainless steel ones because I find silver tone to be somewhat "cold" while gold tone is "warm". However, I must admit that there are other advantages to a silver tone steel watch.

The main advantage is that one does not have to worry about gold electroplating wearing or flaking off over the years. And, of course, another advantage is that stainless steel is a LOT cheaper than gold.

Now, here's my dilemma. I will be wearing a stainless steel wristwatch on my left arm, but on my right arm and hand I will be wearing a gold bracelet and gold ring.

So, my question is if there are others out there that avoid this color "clash" or if there are others who mix their jewelry color tones and find it acceptable.

I know that this may sound like a trivial issue, but over the last few days I have be scrutinizing the color coordinations of jewelry on my fellow male jewelry wearers and, surprisingly, I can not find a single one who is mixing gold tone with silver tone! It seems that when I find someone who is wearing a stainless steel watch, then they are either not wearing any gold rings or bracelets or are wearing white gold or silver ones. And, when I find someone with a yellow gold ring and bracelet, then they are either not wearing a watch or are wearing one that is gold tone!

I think I would feel a lot better about wearing my new stainless steel watch (which won't arrive until the end of this month) if I could find one person who was mixing the color tones as I will have to. I mean, even when I watch a cable tv watch show, I notice that the majority of watches being sold are stainless steel and even the show hosts are wearing WHITE gold jewelry during the presentation!

So, tell me...is mixing silver and gold tone jewelry considered an unforgivable faux pas or am I just imagining things?

technoguy
Be yourself, set your own style and don't be scared to try something new.

Personally, I have a platinum wedding band so I stick to silver, SS or a mix of metals. I understand what you are asking, but ultimately it comes down to only one thing; What feels right to you personally.

Keep us posted, eh?

--Charlie

Darrin
Darrin

July 15th, 2005, 5:57 pm #5

and you will find many "silver" and "gold" tone color combos. In fact I just walked over to my work table and picked up a Bill Blass with a gold and silver mixed band, a silver faced dial with gold numbers, hands and a silver case. There is also a Pulsar with a similar gold and silver combination. I belive that the big "ROLLY" also uses the silver/gold combination.What will really get people upset with you is if they look at your watch and it's not keeping the correct time, even when they don't bother to wear a watch. Good luck with your journey into the world of "fashion".
Do not worry about it. I have noticed that today people mix the two metals all of the time. You see lots of people wearing gold wedding bands, with silver tone watches. Right now, silver watches are in style. Especially Stainless Steel ones. Titanium, Gold, and Gold/Silver aren't as in style at the moment. I have watches of all metal combinations except for Titanium. I am currently wearing a Seiko Quartz that is silver/gold color.

Enjoy your watch!

Darrin

technoguy
technoguy

July 15th, 2005, 9:02 pm #6

technoguy
Okay...you've all helped ease my mind somewhat. I'll give it a try...actually, for the FIRST time in my life! I'll mix gold and silver jewelry and see if I can handle the psychic asymmetry of it all.

However, I think I'll still continue my surveillance of my fellow jewelry wearers just as a further verification of your excellent advice.

I think it would have helped if that Orient watch was available in a two-tone model. Someone told me that one can wear either gold or silver with a two-tone watch.

Hey, I just had a thought. In the event that I can not handle the coordination asymmetry, maybe I could get some of that stuff that you dip jewelry into in order to gold plate it. Then maybe I could apply it to the Orient's crown, pusher, bezel, and inner bracelet links to make my own "customized" Orient watch! I know that there have been mixed opinions about "Frankenwatches" on this forum in the past, but I'd have the only Orient watch in this model that is two-tone in the world!

Has anybody else here used that one-step dip solution for gold plating jewelry? If so, how did the finish hold up?

technoguy

RJ
RJ

July 15th, 2005, 9:34 pm #7

technoguy
I don't wear jewelry so I'm no kind of expert, but I do sometimes take notice of it. It's okay to mix gold and silver, but you will make a stronger impression with only one. All silver would make a strong impression, especially on a man, but doesn't look as formal or "dressed up" as gold. If you want to wear a bracelet along with a steel watch, I would recommend a sterling silver bracelet.

So, in conclusion, it's okay to mix, but you will make a stronger impression with one single color.

John
John

July 16th, 2005, 12:03 am #8

and that is, I am sure you know....there are "fashion police" out there. They make it their business to observe what others do and take them to task for it if it doesn't agree with their own ideas.If you should run into any of them send them to the FORUM and maybe we can keep them so busy they will not have time to bother you about your "color coordination".

July 16th, 2005, 3:48 am #9

technoguy
Well, I got an email today from the cable tv watch show that I purchased the staninless steel Orient watch from. My watch has been shipped and should be here by July 21st which is a week earlier than I expected.

I went on a brief shopping trip to a crowded store today and had the opportunity to observe the bare arms of a dozen or more people. I did not see a single one who was wearing both silver tone and gold tone jewelry! I do not intend to give up my observations until I SEE at least one other person with the mixed color combination on himself.

I really do hope that I can get used to mixing steel with gold jewelry. Otherwise, I am going to have to not wear the two together. Well, I'll see how it goes. Maybe if I try it for a few days, then I'll get used to it...

technoguy

Dorsey H.
Dorsey H.

July 16th, 2005, 1:30 pm #10

technoguy
Hey Technoguy,

I've been wearing a mixture of Silver Toned Stainless Steel Watch/watchband and a Yellow Gold Wedding Ring on my left hand for my entire adult life. I had no idea I might be out of step with the style gurus. So far my wife hasn't cringed with embarrassment and refused to be seen with me in public. She's quite a fashion conscious lady so I take her silence to be approval since she's the one who put that ring on my finger.

If it would help you find some inner peace...I'd be happy to post a digital photo of my left hand and wrist so you could actually SEE somebody mixing the two.

Dorsey H.