Why Not SGC?

Why Not SGC?

July 20th, 2007, 11:16 pm #1

I can't help but notice on so many high end cards from auctions and auction houses that SGC seems to be the mass grader for baseball cards. How come we don't respect SGC like very well known and respected baseball and basketball card collectors? Do we just go with PSA because its the "in thing to do"?

Andrew

July 20th, 2007, 11:33 pm #2

I wonder if it's because if we live in Canada we can go through Platinum Promotions to get cards graded by PSA without any customs problems. I'm not sure if any Canadian dealers are associated with SGC, nor do I know whether it's easy for a Canadian to send cards over the border to SGC. I've gone through Platinum Promotions once and it was pretty seamless.

I actually prefer SGC. I think their black backgrounds add to the artistic nature of cards and makes them nicer to display. They also grade vintage cards a little harsher than PSA so that might influence the number of cards graded.

And I certainly wouldn't recommend KSA to anyone!!!!!

Ray

July 20th, 2007, 11:49 pm #3

I can't help but notice on so many high end cards from auctions and auction houses that SGC seems to be the mass grader for baseball cards. How come we don't respect SGC like very well known and respected baseball and basketball card collectors? Do we just go with PSA because its the "in thing to do"?

Andrew
I know that until I bought an SGC card (on eBay) I hadn't actually seen one in person before but once I did I was sold, I love the look and prefer them to PSA. Living in Canada and the attendent difficulties in submitting to them might explain why there aren't as many but it doesn't explain why they don't seem to command the same prices as PSA. Or maybe they do, I am only looking at a particular subset of cards, namely my collecting focus. The ones I have seen however, do seem to go for less than the equivalent grade would in PSA. Would you say that this is true overall ?

July 21st, 2007, 12:58 am #4

Andrew
Al,

I think that you are wrong that SGC grades harder than PSA. PSA has just tightened their grading even more so what used to be PSA 9's are now 8's and what used to be PSA 8's are now 7's sometimes even 6's.

PSA has always been the grading company to get cards graded and they have been the first in the hobby. In my mind I think the SGC holders stink! They are way to fat and can't be stored very easy like PSA holders. The black background is a nice touch - but I just prefer the PSA holder over the SGC.

Paul
Last edited by shiftintermedia on July 21st, 2007, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 21st, 2007, 1:30 am #5

Andrew
I think PSA's Registry has given them a substantial lead over SCG in prewar hockey. Many of us on this forum 'play' on the PSA Registry and SCG's registry is years behind and not as well set up (no link to pop reports, clunky, harder to view a sequence of scans off one set etc etc).

That said I am sending some of my baseball stuff to SCG and like their holders a lot better and have found them to be more consistant in grades (although I have a smaller sample to judge them with).

July 21st, 2007, 1:34 am #6

Andrew
How can PSA just change their standards and make it harder? A 9 should ALWAYS be a 9, no matter if its 1987 or 2007!

Also SGC actually has help for us Canadians on their website- http://www.sgccard.com/canadian_submissions.htm

I agree that the black really does make a card stand out and it only adds to the eye appeal.

Andrew

July 21st, 2007, 4:49 pm #7

Andrew
That was Ray who said that SGC graded harder than PSA, not me; although if he says so I would defer, having seen his collection of graded cards. I was talking more about the perceived value - seems to me that I have seen the same card in equivalent grades and the SGCs seem to go for less than the PSAs, that's all. But I would definitely vote for their holders over PSA, they look awesome, heavier too, more substantial. Not that the PSA ones are bad or anything, but my SGC card just seems to display better.

July 21st, 2007, 5:15 pm #8

Andrew
I prefer SGC to PSA any day of the week for consistency. PSA may have picked up their standards in the last couple of years but they were brutal up to a few years ago for consistency. I have many cards in my possesion that are all over the board....up to 2 grade points? I have never had a SGC card over or under graded.

My rap against PSA is that they do not have a 1/2 point system which I think is very important. My rap against SGC is they do not have a qualifier system which I guess is good for the collector who does not mind a slightly OC card. You can pick up some pretty sweet cards at SGC 80 that would grade PSA 7 or even PSA 8 oc.

As for the holders SGC is more pleasing to the eye but is more bulkier. Let face it...if room is an issue buy a bigger house and quit spending all you monies on cards LOL!

I have been saying for years that people will soon figure out the SGC advantage. Not quite sure what all the PSA hype is about unless you use the set registry or are grading for re-sale.

Good topic!

July 21st, 2007, 6:38 pm #9

Andrew
I disagree with Rob 100% in all aspects. PSA is not that inconsistant! You are make PSA sound like they are KSA!!! PSA's cards sell for more because they ARE tougher on cards then the other grading companies. Like it or not PSA is THE undisputed leader in vintage card grading - especially for hockey. You may have a bit more vintage baseball grading at SGC but not much.

Also, I think half grades are ridiculus! Either a card is a 7 or an 8 not a 7.5 or an 8.5 or whatever. SGC's holders are alway WAY to fat!

PSA cards consistantly sell for more than SGC and will continue to do so.

Thanks,
Paul
Last edited by shiftintermedia on July 21st, 2007, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 21st, 2007, 8:57 pm #10

Andrew
I disagree with Paul. I think SGC is as reputible as PSA in grading vintage hockey.I am glad that SGC uses .5 increments like BGS for modern cards. Using .5 grades distinguishes the low end from the high end cards graded at the same level. SGC holders are more appealing than PSA for pre war cards, especially when PSA puts the plastic condom on the card. I believe the driving force behind PSA graded cards selling for more money than SGC cards is their registry. High graded PSA common cards often sell for outrageous amounts solely because of the registry. Just my 2 cents.