Flashback

Flashback

September 19th, 2007, 4:47 pm #1

Kinda funny, I had a cool flashback yesterday when I was walking to the store when I saw a young boy about 8 years old with his friend walking towards me and a familar sound followed...

The boy had an empty pop can on his foot, you remember, you would step on a pop can and it would crush the middle and the sides would wrap up and around your outsides of your shoe and it would stay there.

Kids don't seem to do that these days and I was instantly transported back to 1970's and remember walking to school with one of those on my foot, it was almost like you were cool doing it and other kids would want to borrow and wear it too!!

Kinda made me think back to those days and was dreaming that I wish I would have put a box of every years cards away growing up...

It's free to dream.

Bobby

September 19th, 2007, 5:46 pm #2

hey guys remember putting your hockey cards attached to clothing pegs in the spokes of your bike rim. all us kids thought that was cool too. i never see kids do that now or even ride a friggen bike. battery operated skooters/bikes and mini gas motorcycles now. no wonder the new generation is over weight at a young age. LOL

September 19th, 2007, 6:25 pm #3

Kinda funny, I had a cool flashback yesterday when I was walking to the store when I saw a young boy about 8 years old with his friend walking towards me and a familar sound followed...

The boy had an empty pop can on his foot, you remember, you would step on a pop can and it would crush the middle and the sides would wrap up and around your outsides of your shoe and it would stay there.

Kids don't seem to do that these days and I was instantly transported back to 1970's and remember walking to school with one of those on my foot, it was almost like you were cool doing it and other kids would want to borrow and wear it too!!

Kinda made me think back to those days and was dreaming that I wish I would have put a box of every years cards away growing up...

It's free to dream.

Bobby
<<Kinda made me think back to those days and was dreaming that I wish I would have put a box of every years cards away growing up...>>

If you are speaking investment wise, I wouldn't worry about that since cards from the 70s aren't worth crap. Unless you put away like a hundred 71/72 OPC sets in gem mint condition. As for the rest of the cards from that decade, they are better off burnt.

September 19th, 2007, 6:26 pm #4

It's free to dream.

Bobby
Hey guys. I gotta tell you, I keep hearing about the cards in the spokes stories but I do not remember any kids in my neighborhood that did that. I remember "topsies" and "farsies" but that's it. Jim.

September 19th, 2007, 6:54 pm #5

It's free to dream.

Bobby
jim you forgot, "closies" and "knocksies". my favourite was "scrambles" (when a kid would finish his set he no longer wanted the wad of traders in his hand so he would scream "scrambles" throw them up in the air and all of us would pick up as much as we can for free). in my neighbourhood the bike spoke thing was very common in downsview ontario. James i can not believe you think all the 70's cards are crap. if you do not want them i will gladly take them. some great cards came from the 70's!!!!

September 19th, 2007, 7:20 pm #6

It's free to dream.

Bobby
Wow all of the cards from the 70's are basicly trash?That's a new one with me,I think some really great cards & designs came from the 70's.As for the cards in bicycle spokes we did the very same thing & Bobby I remember the can thingy too as for kids & bikes today it's a rarity as they like the game consoles & other electronic gadgets.I'll tell you one thing we used to do we would play the game called flipper.The one who could flip his card the farthest won that card.If one player had a majority of the cards he could put them all in and if he flipped his card the farthest he won the cards tossed in the pile by the other players.Do you see kids doing these things today,not here I don't.Yes bobby I love to dream too as I feel like a freebird .

September 19th, 2007, 7:20 pm #7

It's free to dream.

Bobby
I remember only 1 kid did that with his cards. We were more into dropies, knockies at school. An squabbles was usually when older kids would rough up the younger kids and take their cards and throw them in the air, poor kids but man, kids would run like rabbits to pick up cards when they heard that.

And James, I was referring to packs really but there are but a few pack collectors so I used cards but the 1970's cards are pretty cool anyone who doesn't like them, well.......

Last edited by BobbyBHockey on September 19th, 2007, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 19th, 2007, 7:50 pm #8

It's free to dream.

Bobby
I do remember throwing my 71-72 OPC cards up against the wall. But I cannot recall what we deemed as the winner. I think it was closest to or a leaner?

All my old stuff from when I was a kid went to a friend of mine back when I was about 15 or so. He constanly bugged me to sell them to him. So I finally gave in and off they went (~10000 cards) for a whopping $25.00. The kicker of it all is that I have yet to receive payment for them some 25+ years later. Boy I was a shrewed one back then. LOL!

I found out later that his uncle owned one of the first card shops in the Vancouver area and was getting him to coax all his friends out of their card hoards. Bugger!

September 19th, 2007, 9:20 pm #9

It's free to dream.

Bobby
I agree with the 1970's card as bieng not that bad to collect. Try putting a 1970 OPC PSA 8 set together and you quickly realize how popular this set is with hockey collectors.The 6 Orr cards, Sittler, Perrault, Clarke and Park rookies will break the bank and of course the Selby untraded card version.

September 20th, 2007, 1:21 am #10

It's free to dream.

Bobby
Oh dear ...

I just can't understand it when people try to collect these cheap cards in high grade. Let's say there is a card worth $50, before grading came along you could buy it in Near Mint/Mint for $50. Today people would rather have that card in a PSA 8 holder and pay $400 for it. I mean hey, they could own it in PSA 7 for around $50 as well, but nope - has to be PSA 8. Think about it, when you have nice cards you are not going to sit there examining them under a microscope! You will look at them with your naked eye and say "oh la la, very nice!" Not as if you are going to be able to tell a huge difference between each grade. I mean you do hear about cards being resubmitted and bumped up in grade , right? And how dealers often receive higher grades since they submit more? Just goes to show you that people these days are collecting labels and not cards.