US Navy AAB Sandridge Camp, Devon, England.

US Navy AAB Sandridge Camp, Devon, England.

May 12th, 2008, 6:18 pm #1

Dear All
If any amongst this website's readership record their presence at the above US Navy Advanced Amphibious Base 114 I would ask that they please contact me.
I am in contact with researcher Rosemary Yallop who is currently attempting to research the base and it's activities....hope somone may be able to assist or may know of veterans who were based at Sandridge or passed through it at some point.
It stood close to Greeway House which was also in use by the US Navy on the River Dart.
Will keep my fingers crossed
My best wishes to you all
Tony (Chappie46)

Tony Chapman
Official Archivist/Historian
LST and Landing Craft Association (Royal Navy)

May 13th, 2008, 3:04 am #2

Tony, have you contacted http://www.ww2lct.org/ These folks had their reunion last month, but maybe your query can be make their next Newsletter. I did look at Microsoft Earth and the area from Dartmouth to Greenway looks beautiful and I am sure the Gator Gals would agree. I did see some submerged artifacts in the Dart on the east bank above Dartmouth near a marina. Hope this helps

May 13th, 2008, 6:08 pm #3

Missed that one.....sent one to LCT Flotillas thinking that my long time contact Ron Swanson was involved with it, I now note that Ron is with the one that you mention.
I will mail Ron again......but doubtless webmaster Richard Fox will forward my initial mail to Ron.
Thanks for the interest Flt.
Take care
Tony (Chappie46)

Tony Chapman

May 14th, 2008, 6:05 pm #4

Tony, have you contacted http://www.ww2lct.org/ These folks had their reunion last month, but maybe your query can be make their next Newsletter. I did look at Microsoft Earth and the area from Dartmouth to Greenway looks beautiful and I am sure the Gator Gals would agree. I did see some submerged artifacts in the Dart on the east bank above Dartmouth near a marina. Hope this helps
Hello Tom
Just to let you know that I have made contact with Ron Swanson.....we go back aways.....he is going to make my query known to USLCT veterans.....fingers crossed...!!
Was chatting to Susie 'Seabat' Bloom last night....we go back aways too as I keep reminding her...lol.
Take care
Tony

Tony Chapman

May 14th, 2008, 11:11 pm #5

Are you implying that I'm OLD????? I'll have you know that Flt Tech is my age... so be careful... VERY careful.... or I'll have to have a chat with Daisy.... lol

p.s. MANY thanks for passing the word of LST Week to those in the U. K. We appreciate your assistance! Hope you have a wonderful reunion with your Royal Navy LST'ers and Landing Craft Veterans at the end of the month!
Last edited by SeaBat on May 14th, 2008, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 15th, 2008, 6:24 pm #6

When you've been around as long as me you'll be old.
I was the medic on Noah's Ark.....it was me who kept bandaging his fingers when he missed with the hammer whilst banging home the nails.....lol

Tony Chapman

May 15th, 2008, 11:50 pm #7

Chappie you may have stirred up a Hornets Nest with a "Gator Gal". All you need to do is look at the problems "Cornfield1" had awhile back. Don't for one minute think an Ocean can protect you either, I would suspect that there are Covert "GG" or even oo_'s lurking around. If you are lucky you just may only end up with a "Binkey" and a PINK Jumpsuit.

You know I think she implied I OLD!...LOL