Marine Corps History Division

Marine Corps History Division

April 10th, 2018, 9:04 pm #1

10 APR 18 / 1543 Hrs
Last Friday 13 April was a busy day of tour groups on the LST. I did a special tour of the LST for 4 historian from Marine Corps History Division University Quantico, VA. They took a lot of photo's and were very impressed with operational status of our ship. They were impressed with the number of our volunteer crew and their hard work to keep the LST in great shape. They are writers for the Marine Corps History Magazine and gave the LST Office a good many copies of past publications. Don't known if they plan to do a story on the LST-325, but If I get the word they are, will past that on to all ASAP. Take care SARGE

April 11th, 2018, 3:18 am #2

this Friday is the 13th.

April 11th, 2018, 2:03 pm #3

11 APR 18 / 0849 Hrs
BP : Checking my calendar, it was Saturday 7 April when the Marine Corps History Division group took the LST tour. One member of the group stated he was a member of a operational WW II Liberty Ship up in the Quantico, VA area. He was very interested in how our crew kept the LST-325 is such great operational status. They were a great bunch of folks, take care. SARGE

April 11th, 2018, 6:10 pm #4

I am glad you got to be their guide.
I am sure they learned a lot.

keep up the good work Sarge.
\

April 11th, 2018, 7:16 pm #5

10 APR 18 / 1543 Hrs
Last Friday 13 April was a busy day of tour groups on the LST. I did a special tour of the LST for 4 historian from Marine Corps History Division University Quantico, VA. They took a lot of photo's and were very impressed with operational status of our ship. They were impressed with the number of our volunteer crew and their hard work to keep the LST in great shape. They are writers for the Marine Corps History Magazine and gave the LST Office a good many copies of past publications. Don't known if they plan to do a story on the LST-325, but If I get the word they are, will past that on to all ASAP. Take care SARGE
Great job, Sarge! Publicity for the ship is always a great thing and when so many Marines were transported by LST's it's a wonderful connection to their past,not just to Sailors and shipyard workers.

April 15th, 2018, 8:51 pm #6

11 APR 18 / 0849 Hrs
BP : Checking my calendar, it was Saturday 7 April when the Marine Corps History Division group took the LST tour. One member of the group stated he was a member of a operational WW II Liberty Ship up in the Quantico, VA area. He was very interested in how our crew kept the LST-325 is such great operational status. They were a great bunch of folks, take care. SARGE
is probably the John W. Brown in Baltimore. Only two operational remain, the other is the Jeremiah O'Brien in San Francisco.

I did some radio maintenance on the Brown years ago, and did two "day cruises" aboard her and operated their Radio Room gear.

April 15th, 2018, 11:34 pm #7

15 APR 18 / 1811 Hrs
Perry you are correct, it was the WW II liberty ship John W. Brown. They were very impressed with the LST-325 Radio Room, took a lot of pictures. In 1963 I was in the Air Force and station in Tuely Greenland, the Coast Guard Ice breaker West Wind broke a path in to our harbor so supply ships could get in. We only had two summer months to get resupply befor the harbor would ice up. I was a heavy equipment operator in the motor pool, we work 12 hrs shift to transport supplies from the old WW II Liberty Ships to base storage. They enjoyed the special tour of our LST and invited General Patton to take part in one of their future events. Take care. SARGE