Transendence and Vista

Have a bug to report? Need technical help on getting the game to work? Post it here.

Transendence and Vista

Plaete
Corsair-class
Plaete
Corsair-class

May 13 2007, 06:08 PM #1

I have just bought a new laptop and it has Windows Vista. When I wanna run Transcendence I get a blue screen with text (something about memory dump, I can't read it fast enough) and my computer reboots.

I then get a message telling me that Windows has unexpectedly shut down and that I should run Windows Update to solve the problem. When I run it, it says there are no downloads available... (I have already installed all available ones).
This hasn't solved my problem however.

In other topics on the forum I have noticed that Transcendence does work on Vista, so what am I doing wrong?

Kamikaze_Fearstriker
Centurion-class

May 13 2007, 07:25 PM #2

Maybe it's BECAUSE of update.

I'll never let that piece of "crap" program run on my computer, I have heard too many bad things.
I never said I was sane.

I said I'm perfectly insane.

Blitz
Ronin-class
Blitz
Ronin-class

May 13 2007, 09:31 PM #3

Kamikaze_Fearstriker @ May 14 2007, 12:55 AM wrote: Maybe it's BECAUSE of update.

I'll never let that piece of "crap" program run on my computer, I have heard too many bad things.
I've heard that many of the XP updates are actually hybrid updates which install all that DRM crap. I'm keeping away from those.
Transcendence is like the Ring. It is the powerful work of one man. Once it is on your hard-drive, you cannot let go of it. At most, you play with the idea of deleting it from your computer and moving on - and that only at an early stage. As time progresses, it begins to grow on your mind and slowly devours you by not letting you study or work. You hate it and you love it, but you cannot get rid of it. You have no will left in the matter. It may crash treacherously but you, its keeper, never destroys it.

Kamikaze_Fearstriker
Centurion-class

May 14 2007, 01:19 AM #4

as am I.

The funny thing is the instant I saw "Transcendence and Vista", I thought "don't mix, right?"

And guess what? I was right.
I never said I was sane.

Lord Protector
Corsair-class
Lord Protector
Corsair-class

May 14 2007, 06:07 AM #5

Well, very nice: Vista or a Windows-update and Transcendence could be incompatible and a member of this forum seems to have problems. Giving him some aid could be a good idea, don´t you think so ?
Me personaly has no experience with the new OS, but I´ve heard vista causes trouble, if an older game isn´t started from an Admnistrators account. Have you tried starting the Game as administrator?
regards
peter

Falconer
Tripoli-class
Falconer
Tripoli-class

May 20 2007, 03:54 AM #6

Wow, a Blue Screen of Doom story about Vistas already. And with Transcendence. This does not bode well for Vistas.
Learn the ways of war, but pray you shall never need them.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
__==__.....................__==__..
...^^^^=_...<9...._=^^^^..
...^^^^^^7^^^7^^^^^^...........
.....;;;;;;;;;..^^^..;;;;;;;;;........
..................^^^...........
..................{...}.............
............-+=m=m=>........
This is the sword wielding falcon. He eats small animals, and uses trains for transportation.

Yugi
Iocrym Commandship
Yugi
Iocrym Commandship

May 20 2007, 07:34 AM #7

I thought it was called a Blue Screen Of Death :mellow:

Kamikaze_Fearstriker
Centurion-class

May 20 2007, 12:36 PM #8

I waited until about two years ago to get XP, because 98 was working fine. I'll probably wait for another version of windows to come out before I get Vista.
I never said I was sane.

Plaete
Corsair-class
Plaete
Corsair-class

May 23 2007, 10:31 AM #9

Sorry about the late reply.

About starting the game as administrator: I am the administrator on my own computer, so that's not the problem I guess...

Boris the Cat
Iocrym Commandship
Boris the Cat
Iocrym Commandship

May 23 2007, 02:48 PM #10

Have you tried asking George about it on the Official Forums?
Current SpamCon: 3 - All blatant spam will be deleted on sight, and threads will be split if they are still off-topic after being warned. Use of warnings splittings to nip off-topic stuff in the bud are authorised.
a little_holy_thom wrote:...you black hearted scoundrel!
goat_not_sheep wrote:WHy did people invent the dick burner in the 1st place?
Why indeed?

gbm1200
Corsair-class
gbm1200
Corsair-class

Jun 3 2007, 02:27 AM #11

I installed windows Vista Home Premium on my desktop (Sony #VGC RB-42G) Pentium

4, 3Ghz Processor, 2 gigs of Ram, ATI All-in-Wonder X800XL, Etc. and I don't have any

problems running Transcendence 0.97a or 0.98a.

gbm1200

Yugi
Iocrym Commandship
Yugi
Iocrym Commandship

Jun 3 2007, 07:12 AM #12

Wow, nice computer you have there B)