Works starts on the Magyar Pfiel

Works starts on the Magyar Pfiel

Joined: February 27th, 2005, 3:06 pm

February 22nd, 2010, 3:47 pm #1

I was looking at all the projects I was planning to do before I could started my US Nationals build and realized I was never going to get to it! In order to have May clear for this project, February, March and April now look like this.

Cut the number of dioramas I had planned for the museum's BOB Display upgrade from four to two.
Drop the idea of building a Marine AC for the GOMBs show.
I will now Blitz Build both the Pfiel and Airfix 1/72 P-38. Work has started on the former.

After dry-fitting the assembled interior, it did fit better with the starboard locating tab (black) removed.

I added a short length of strip on the aft fuselage section to better hold the long roof of the bomb bay.

Ejection tower sinks in the landing gear legs was easily corrected with an appropriate size punch from the ever handy Waldron Sets.

These sets were also used to fill in the tower holes in the bomb bay roof.

Tower marks were also present on the gear and bomb bay doors. These were removed by first gently side-scrapping with a No 12 blade.

Then finished off with some careful wet sanding using modified Squadron Sanding Sticks.

To ensure a uniform and thin intake lips and to help hide the interior join, some Tamiya extra thin glue was brushed on.


Vic

Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 10th, 2006, 7:27 pm

February 22nd, 2010, 5:52 pm #2

.... some of the short comings that you and others have reported are starting to scare me.

Thanks for setting the pace - I'll try to keep up and avoid the big bill in May.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 25th, 2005, 9:42 pm

February 22nd, 2010, 6:09 pm #3

Got some work done on the hobby room this weekend, and after clearing away a mountain of Ikea cardboard, I found my kit! The shrink wrap is still on it!

On the plus side, I got all my wall cabinets mounted, and they are on pretty square! It was actually very easy with a 2nd person to help.

Vic, I would not have even thought to fix those little knock out marks. I think I will build mine 'gear-up'

GD
Quote
Like
Share

Anonymous Shitpumper
Anonymous Shitpumper

February 22nd, 2010, 6:39 pm #4

.... you'll need to add a stand and then it wont be OOB anymore.

Quote
Share

Joined: July 10th, 2006, 7:27 pm

February 22nd, 2010, 8:09 pm #5

.... thus I was anon. The forum has changed today - it appears that people who aren't logged in can view and post.
Quote
Like
Share

Anonymous Shitpumper
Anonymous Shitpumper

February 22nd, 2010, 9:53 pm #6

Got some work done on the hobby room this weekend, and after clearing away a mountain of Ikea cardboard, I found my kit! The shrink wrap is still on it!

On the plus side, I got all my wall cabinets mounted, and they are on pretty square! It was actually very easy with a 2nd person to help.

Vic, I would not have even thought to fix those little knock out marks. I think I will build mine 'gear-up'

GD
s
Quote
Share

Joined: February 27th, 2005, 3:06 pm

February 22nd, 2010, 9:54 pm #7

s
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 4th, 2009, 11:09 pm

February 22nd, 2010, 11:43 pm #8

I was looking at all the projects I was planning to do before I could started my US Nationals build and realized I was never going to get to it! In order to have May clear for this project, February, March and April now look like this.

Cut the number of dioramas I had planned for the museum's BOB Display upgrade from four to two.
Drop the idea of building a Marine AC for the GOMBs show.
I will now Blitz Build both the Pfiel and Airfix 1/72 P-38. Work has started on the former.

After dry-fitting the assembled interior, it did fit better with the starboard locating tab (black) removed.

I added a short length of strip on the aft fuselage section to better hold the long roof of the bomb bay.

Ejection tower sinks in the landing gear legs was easily corrected with an appropriate size punch from the ever handy Waldron Sets.

These sets were also used to fill in the tower holes in the bomb bay roof.

Tower marks were also present on the gear and bomb bay doors. These were removed by first gently side-scrapping with a No 12 blade.

Then finished off with some careful wet sanding using modified Squadron Sanding Sticks.

To ensure a uniform and thin intake lips and to help hide the interior join, some Tamiya extra thin glue was brushed on.


Vic
I have actually put some of my pieces together so your tip about the extra strip for the bomb bay will be useful. I started to put all of the 2 parts pieces together. I also found out how thin that Tamiya extra thin cement really is when I left a fingerprint on the horizontal stab.

Glueing my wheels tonight and I actually got my seat belts done. What a pain.

Oh and I managed to find one of those #12 blades. I usually use a #15 but that #12 will come in handy.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 25th, 2005, 9:42 pm

February 23rd, 2010, 12:25 am #9

.... you'll need to add a stand and then it wont be OOB anymore.

But but but.... Vic used a strip of styrene to support the cockpit thingy!

Not sure when the forum changed...I thought anyone with an N54 login could post. If you don't put in a name, the default setting is "Shitpumper"

GD
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 10th, 2006, 7:27 pm

February 23rd, 2010, 2:09 pm #10

I was logged in. Now I can see it and post while not logged in (although only as an anon. user).
Last edited by brent2020 on February 23rd, 2010, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quote
Like
Share