RT-33 CONSTRUCTION 1 'The adventure begins'

RT-33 CONSTRUCTION 1 'The adventure begins'

June 5th, 2010, 2:53 pm #1

I simply could not let Gary get ahead of me........

When Brent posts the AT-33 article you will read how the molds seemed to have deteriorated in that later boxing (black box trim). Well, this puppy should be an early release and it is not looking any better. There are surfaces imperfections that will need to be corrected and also as you can see in the lower photograph, the fuselage halves are banana boats!

Good news is there are so few parts. The is good news because all of them require some form of clean-up. Before fitting the main gear roof into location, the center 'hump' was sanded so it actually kinda fit into were it is meant to fit. With just a 'little' strong arm' tactics it actually stayed there until the glue cured...

I am currently enjoying myself using a No 11 as a side scraper to remove the numerous surfaces issues that HC quality Control put there so us 'old school' types would feel like we are building a model from 1965!

OK... WHO is the bozo that recommended this kit in the first place
Last edited by ffirefighter13 on June 7th, 2010, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 5th, 2010, 6:18 pm #2

I was digging out my T-33 kits and noticed how "unsharp" the moulds were compared to our recent Tamiya kit. I was also wondering who selected this kit but too late now.

The RT-33 kit I have is the original and not the black boxing so the decals suck. I am starting with the T-33 anyway so this kit will probably stay on the side lines for the moment.

June 5th, 2010, 7:20 pm #3

the RT was never issued in the black box which would mean smoking decals. Too bad....
Still looking for a RT scheme that 'really' grabs me.

Graeme
Graeme

June 6th, 2010, 4:23 am #4

When Brent posts the AT-33 article you will read how the molds seemed to have deteriorated in that later boxing (black box trim). Well, this puppy should be an early release and it is not looking any better. There are surfaces imperfections that will need to be corrected and also as you can see in the lower photograph, the fuselage halves are banana boats!

Good news is there are so few parts. The is good news because all of them require some form of clean-up. Before fitting the main gear roof into location, the center 'hump' was sanded so it actually kinda fit into were it is meant to fit. With just a 'little' strong arm' tactics it actually stayed there until the glue cured...

I am currently enjoying myself using a No 11 as a side scraper to remove the numerous surfaces issues that HC quality Control put there so us 'old school' types would feel like we are building a model from 1965!

Any monkey with a tube of glue and three fingers can make a tamiya kit look good.

The airfix GB on HS has got me wanting to build a 'hard' kit for a while now. Where's my tub of cat hair fibreglass and my bastard file!

June 6th, 2010, 1:39 pm #5

I almost finished cleaning up the all the small parts yesterday. Guys, the good new is, it does not take any longer then preparing all those Tamiya parts for assembly...

In addition, the lower wing received a light wet sanding and it looks much better. Today I may finish the parts preparation and wet sand the entire exterior which means I should be dealing with the cockpit this week.
Last edited by ffirefighter13 on June 7th, 2010, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 7th, 2010, 4:21 am #6

June 7th, 2010, 9:57 pm #7

Final preparations of the parts is completed as is the external surfaces. One of the things that surprised me with the latter was the interior ejector pin marks had transferred to the exterior. I do not recall ever seeing this in a model before!

The intake lips are going to be an education. Both sides required different corrective approaches with the port side requiring the edges to be 'bevelled' to get a tight fit. Once they fit into location, tight against the aft locating beam, be prepared for a less then precision fit

First step is fully framing in this part with card for the next step...

The next two photographs shows the major gap that shows what a 'fun' project this is. Nothing that some Milliput can't put right tomorrow!

Graeme Davidson
Graeme Davidson

June 7th, 2010, 11:05 pm #8

Your jedi mind tricks won't work on me!

So, we are allowed to use styrene like that? Ie, it doesn't violate some odd IPMS rule about scratchbuilding?

Graeme Davidson
Graeme Davidson

June 7th, 2010, 11:05 pm #9

Pretty involved project!

June 8th, 2010, 3:40 am #10

Your jedi mind tricks won't work on me!

So, we are allowed to use styrene like that? Ie, it doesn't violate some odd IPMS rule about scratchbuilding?
I think the rules are more cutting apart flaps and such. Vic's pieces are just fikking gaps as far as I can see. That's my story and I am sticking to it.