I need to know about radar in World War II

I need to know about radar in World War II

Matt
Matt

February 22nd, 2002, 8:04 pm #1

I am doing a school project on radar in WWII and I was looking for some good websites with information about radar, who invented it, which country was the first to use it, how much it affected the war. If anyone can give me some information about this topic I would greatly appreciate it.

~Matt

Brian
Brian

March 15th, 2002, 4:28 am #2

Get the book Echoes of War: The Story of H2S Radar by Lovell from the library or on interlibrary loan. Also check www.radarworld.org

Donald
Donald

May 13th, 2002, 12:36 am #3

I am doing a school project on radar in WWII and I was looking for some good websites with information about radar, who invented it, which country was the first to use it, how much it affected the war. If anyone can give me some information about this topic I would greatly appreciate it.

~Matt
I possess a great deal of info on WW2 radar having served as a radar mechanic on the Royal Navy and having worked in that field all my life.I can tell you about German, French, Dutch, Japanese, Italian and British
and American efforts on radar all prior to 1939.
it is a very interesting story.Are you interested?

Karen Stone
Karen Stone

July 1st, 2002, 4:01 pm #4

I am looking for some information on a particular type of radar equipment I think my father used during World War II while stationed in the South Pacific. My father was a Marine radar operator and I think he used some equipment that had a visable (glowing) vile (approximately 3" high)containing ionizing radiation. Would you be familiar with this particular unit and if so, could you tell me the alpha-numerica designation and/or manufacturer? Thank you

Jim thompson
Jim thompson

October 2nd, 2002, 7:12 pm #5

~Matt
Send an E-mail to my dad (grampbob@hotmail.com)
He was on the minniapolis which (if I remember right) was the first warship to have radar on it. He was a Radarman.

He's got some good stories about surpizing the Japanese

john hodson
john hodson

October 9th, 2002, 10:40 pm #6

I possess a great deal of info on WW2 radar having served as a radar mechanic on the Royal Navy and having worked in that field all my life.I can tell you about German, French, Dutch, Japanese, Italian and British
i saw this message that said you know a lot about radar in ww2, and i am doing a report on it and i would like to have some of that information.

Vic Bond
Vic Bond

October 11th, 2002, 1:46 am #7

I am looking for some information on a particular type of radar equipment I think my father used during World War II while stationed in the South Pacific. My father was a Marine radar operator and I think he used some equipment that had a visable (glowing) vile (approximately 3" high)containing ionizing radiation. Would you be familiar with this particular unit and if so, could you tell me the alpha-numerica designation and/or manufacturer? Thank you
Ms Stone: I was a Radar Operator with the 12Defense Bn., USMC, in WWII. We used two radars. One was a SCR-268, assembled by Western Electric and was a short range radar, 22 miles, and used as a gun director. The other, SCR-270, assembled by Westinghouse, was a search radar and had a range of 120 miles. At times the range would exceed this if the conditions were good. Regards. Vic B.

Dee
Dee

November 4th, 2002, 6:53 pm #8

I am writing a book on the Women's Air Raid Defense, this was a group of
uniformed-civilian women who took over the Information Control Center at Fort Shafter,
Oahu, Hawaii. I have interviewed several of these women and have been able to ascertain
history, development, life styles of the WARDs but none has remembered the training to
become a radar plotter with any detail.

I have contacted Fort Shafter and any manuals or training modules of 1940 are long
gone. Can you direct me to or do you have information about the nitty-gritty of their
jobs?

For example, one of the WARDs told me she plotted her husband in from Midway and
knew that he had crashed. (He survived and went on to win the DFS.) When I asked her
how she knew it was Bill's plane, she replied, "He wasn't on the board anymore." But
she couldn't explain to me what that meant. "It wasn't my job to post on the board."

I've asked about the training, but they all remember the strange names for the
quadrants, and the military protocol, uniform-measuring, hearing tests, but that's it.
Those are significant details, but I still am not at the meat of what they did.

Could you please help me?

Dorothea Buckingham

Dick Barrett
Dick Barrett

December 9th, 2002, 8:19 pm #9

~Matt
For a look at the British perspective have a look at the RAF Radar section of The Radar Pages at http://www.radarpages.co.uk, especialy CH, CHL, CHEL and GCI pages.

For the German perspective see Martin Hollmann's excelent site at http://www.radarworld.org

Regards,

Dick Barrett

niall
niall

December 10th, 2002, 8:15 pm #10

yo im from ireland and i need 2 know about radar development before and during ww2 for a history project any info would b greatly appreciated
thanx