Overvalwagen in Soerabaya

Overvalwagen in Soerabaya

May 10th, 2018, 1:00 pm #1

Hey all,

While doing research, I found some info about a mentioned Surabayan Overalwagen in 'Soerabaijasch Handelsblad' 30 October, 1940. It states that one vehicle was acquired, based on a Bedford chassis, produced by the British Vauxhall company. The armored plating could be unbolted. It was powered by a 6-cylinder engine. Two seats were located in the front, one for the driver. Behind them a rack for eight guns was installed. Behind that rack, an enclosed compartment was installed in the back with room for six men. It could also be used for other duties like transporting wounded as two brancards were also delivered.

Does anyone have more information about this vehicle? possibly photo's?

Kind regards,

Leander

May 11th, 2018, 8:34 am #2

Dear Leander, welcome and thanks for that scoop! First time I hear about the vehicle. Was it acquired from Vauxhall directly?
It could have been a Bedford OXA built for the UK Homeguard, some pictures here on this russian site:
https://aviarmor.net/tww2/armored_cars/ ... edford.htm

May 12th, 2018, 8:06 am #3

Thank you.
I don't know where they bought it. Personally I find it unlikely that they would buy only one improvised armored car in the UK while they theoretically could make it themselves, so I think it is a local conversion on a somewhat older chassis.

Btw, I am a writer for Tanks-Encyclopedia website, and I am currently doing research into Dutch vehicles, both from KL and KNIL. The first article, on the Marmon-Herrington CTMS-1TB1, will be published soon. I thought you may be interested :)
Cheers

May 12th, 2018, 11:32 am #4

Hi, maybe they ordered the drawings or saw some pictures and copied the idea? Looking forward to your articles!
Kind regards,
Nuyt