Kamer 14 (Room 14) at Bandung

Kamer 14 (Room 14) at Bandung

January 28th, 2008, 12:01 pm #1

What is known about Kamer 14 (Room 14) at Bandung, Java? It was intercepting and probably decrypting Japanese coded messages - Diplomatic (?) Naval (?) and Army (?).

When Batavia fell, Lieutenant-Commander Leo Brouwer RNN, a Japanese linguist was evacuated to Colombo, and joined the JN25 team at the Far Eastern Combined Bureau (FECB) there. He may have moved to Bletchley Park, where Hut 7 worked on Japanese codes. Prewar, John Tiltman at Bletchley Park had made a break into an earlier version of JN25 the IJN code in 1939.

henry klom
henry klom

January 28th, 2008, 2:48 pm #2

The whole story about the Dutch codebreaking is related in the book;
nishi no kaze, hare by robert Haslach isbn 90-6091-233-0
As Brouwer and Nuboer and several other participents helped in making this book, reading it would answer your questions

Mark C. Jones
Mark C. Jones

January 30th, 2008, 9:20 pm #3

What is known about Kamer 14 (Room 14) at Bandung, Java? It was intercepting and probably decrypting Japanese coded messages - Diplomatic (?) Naval (?) and Army (?).

When Batavia fell, Lieutenant-Commander Leo Brouwer RNN, a Japanese linguist was evacuated to Colombo, and joined the JN25 team at the Far Eastern Combined Bureau (FECB) there. He may have moved to Bletchley Park, where Hut 7 worked on Japanese codes. Prewar, John Tiltman at Bletchley Park had made a break into an earlier version of JN25 the IJN code in 1939.
One source to also keep in mind is:

*Nuboer, J.F.W. 1981. A History of Afdeling I (Intelligence) Naval Staff, Batavia, Netherlands East Indies from August 1934 to January 1938. The Cryptogram, the Official Journal of the American Cryptogram Association volume 47, issue 2, pages 1-8.

I have not read the book you mention, so I do not know if there is an overlap between the two sources. This article was written by a Dutch naval officer who was stationed in the NEI before the war and assigned to the codebreaking operation. Hope this source helps.

Mark C. Jones

henry klom
henry klom

January 31st, 2008, 9:44 pm #4

One source to also keep in mind is:

*Nuboer, J.F.W. 1981. A History of Afdeling I (Intelligence) Naval Staff, Batavia, Netherlands East Indies from August 1934 to January 1938. The Cryptogram, the Official Journal of the American Cryptogram Association volume 47, issue 2, pages 1-8.

I have not read the book you mention, so I do not know if there is an overlap between the two sources. This article was written by a Dutch naval officer who was stationed in the NEI before the war and assigned to the codebreaking operation.
--------------------

this 1981 article only covers the period 34-38, Nishi no kaze, hara is from 1985 and covers the period 1914-1942. Nuboer's 1981 article is listed in the sources and as already mentioned before Nuboer assisted with this book.

February 1st, 2008, 1:33 pm #5

Nuboer also wrote an article in Marineblad 1981 titled ""De eerste jaren van de marine-inlichtingendienst bij de Staf Zeemacht te Batavia, 1934-1938" (June 1981 issue). Since this article was published in the same year as the Cryptogram article, it is possible that this is the Dutch version.

For more about Nuboer, also see my site:

http://www.netherlandsnavy.nl/Men_nuboer.htm

Regards,
Jan
Last edited by Visje1981 on February 1st, 2008, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

henry klom
henry klom

February 1st, 2008, 8:03 pm #6

Nuboer also wrote an article in Marineblad 1981 titled ""De eerste jaren van de marine-inlichtingendienst bij de Staf Zeemacht te Batavia, 1934-1938" (June 1981 issue). Since this article was published in the same year as the Cryptogram article, it is possible that this is the Dutch version.
------------------------

The marineblad article is the original, the cryptogram article is an english translation of that article. The translation of the article into english was done by R. Haslach who is nobody else but.. surprise.. surprise; the author of Nishi no kaze,hara

February 3rd, 2008, 4:07 am #7

As the nearest public library copy of “Nishi no kaze hare” is in Australia, and as it is in Dutch, I will pass on that book, but will look for the other references. The title “Nishi no kaze hare” or “West wind clear” refers to the Japanese “Winds” message that would refer to hostilities with Britain (including the invasion of Thailand).

NB: "East wind rain" (Higashi no kaze ame) referred to America.

henry klom
henry klom

February 3rd, 2008, 12:27 pm #8

As the nearest public library copy of “Nishi no kaze hare” is in Australia,

-------------

if that is the problem, then I have a used one lying around. You can have that one if you pay for the postage.

February 6th, 2008, 12:18 am #9

Very generous of you Henry, but I think the book is in Dutch (?), and in that case I would not be able to read it!

felix
felix

April 2nd, 2008, 1:40 am #10

another book, in english is the Van Mook book, ten years of burrowing .... the Haslach book is referncing this one continously, and relays the Japanese espionage before the war. it is dated and was published during the war, bu a good background on the intel back then