Whats next?

Whats next?

September 18th, 2007, 5:01 pm #1

I love the martial arts, Kenpo specifically, and I respect those who constantly strive for understanding and knowledge. Over the years so many concepts and theories have been presented with zest, and passion, that one has a hard time understanding what is and is not practical for them, and by doing so forgetting the simplicity of natural reaction.

Every martial art system and individual who studies the arts has a view and something great to share. This is true from the youngest of beginners to the most senior practitioners of the arts. Unfortunately if they don’t have a title or rank, we usually discard their input and replace it with our own understanding, thus losing the opportunity that exploration of their perspective could have presented. I for one am guilty of this.

How is it that we have misplaced the purpose of unarmed self-defense, and replaced it with a coalition of followers whom believe that they are the way to the ultimate representation of self expression, leaving us only questioning their validation process, to support our own.

The study of a style or system of combative arts, serves us by providing a base in which to reference the possibilities that may present themselves ,through observation within confrontations.

For me the simple truth is this:
Simplistic total engagement that provides the means to ending the confrontation with minimal risk to those or myself I care about.

My deepest respect

September 18th, 2007, 5:10 pm #2

Smartest thing I've read on this forum in months!
Thank you, Brad, and have a damned fine day,

Angela
Last edited by kenpoangel on September 18th, 2007, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 18th, 2007, 5:13 pm #3

I love the martial arts, Kenpo specifically, and I respect those who constantly strive for understanding and knowledge. Over the years so many concepts and theories have been presented with zest, and passion, that one has a hard time understanding what is and is not practical for them, and by doing so forgetting the simplicity of natural reaction.

Every martial art system and individual who studies the arts has a view and something great to share. This is true from the youngest of beginners to the most senior practitioners of the arts. Unfortunately if they don’t have a title or rank, we usually discard their input and replace it with our own understanding, thus losing the opportunity that exploration of their perspective could have presented. I for one am guilty of this.

How is it that we have misplaced the purpose of unarmed self-defense, and replaced it with a coalition of followers whom believe that they are the way to the ultimate representation of self expression, leaving us only questioning their validation process, to support our own.

The study of a style or system of combative arts, serves us by providing a base in which to reference the possibilities that may present themselves ,through observation within confrontations.

Simplistic total engagement that provides the means to ending the confrontation with minimal risk to those or myself I care about.

My deepest respect
just thanks.

CT

but that's just my opinion I could be wrong.
Dennis Miller

September 18th, 2007, 5:32 pm #4

My deepest respect
Thank you Mr. Marshall!

Yours in Kenpo,

Dave Mondo
Integrated Kenpo Karate Academies

http://www.ikkacademy.com

September 18th, 2007, 5:36 pm #5

My deepest respect
Excellent post!

Salute,

Martin

September 18th, 2007, 5:40 pm #6

My deepest respect
and then the follow up is, so how do I train for that to happen? I think that is where all of the disagreement comes in.

At least we have a goal established, now how do we get there?

Good post, I feel the same way.

Have fun training,
Troy

September 18th, 2007, 6:20 pm #7

Troy,

The answer has to be yours not mine. Ask yourself, what is it that you want out of the art,what to you want your students to learn and pass on? Look into the mirror and and ask yourself what works for you. Then seek it out.

Take care

September 18th, 2007, 7:02 pm #8

and then the follow up is, so how do I train for that to happen? I think that is where all of the disagreement comes in.

At least we have a goal established, now how do we get there?

Good post, I feel the same way.

Have fun training,
Troy
Will you be at the school tonight?

September 19th, 2007, 3:15 am #9

Thank you Mr. Marshall!

Yours in Kenpo,

Dave Mondo
Integrated Kenpo Karate Academies

http://www.ikkacademy.com
Thanks again! Keep them conming Brother.

RA