What makes your Kenpo unique? What do you do in your training that...

What makes your Kenpo unique? What do you do in your training that...

June 1st, 2012, 9:42 pm #1

What makes your Kenpo unique? What do you do in your training that you do not see a lot of others doing but it has helped you improve? Dont be shy!

June 2nd, 2012, 3:21 pm #2

Seen more now, FMA is a must.
Why I feel Kajukenbo, is a better, over all Kenpo.

Regards,
Gary

June 2nd, 2012, 4:41 pm #3

What makes your Kenpo unique? What do you do in your training that you do not see a lot of others doing but it has helped you improve? Dont be shy!
What makes my Kenpo unique is it's my Kenpo, just like your Kenpo is yours, only I can do my roadwork.

What also makes my Kenpo unique is my teacher, and all the hard work he and his teachers, and their teachers, and their teachers, etc, put into their Kenpo. If they had not done the work they did, they would not have passed on to me what I am learning.

When I see how much I have to learn, and how much more practice and dedication is needed, when I see others execute the movements, when I see myself execute the movements..

I see many more ways that I am not unique, we all struggle with particular details, everyone has to refine and polish their movements, we all have to work to have CORRECT BASICS, nobody is exempt.

I hope that I continue to do my roadwork, it's been a struggle recently. I will do my roadwork, ok, I'm inspired, going to practice now!

June 15th, 2012, 3:25 pm #4

I agree with Chuck. What makes my kenpo unique is that it is my kenpo. Kenpo, like many other things in our lives, is an experience that we view through the color of our other experiences. When shown a technique, I may emphasize certain aspects and you may emphasize other. There are many reasons for this, body size, strength, injuries and personal experience. One of the things that I enjoyed in my Kung fu training was that it isnt just Kung fu, but my kungfu. I view Kenpo the same way. It is mine. I have internalized it, and made it part of me, and hopefully, I am part of it. I have been very fortunate in my instructors and friends and mentors over the years, and have enjoyed each and every one of them.

So, to answer the question it is unique because it is mine. I can show the principles and teach the system, but the reality is that the system is just a base for us to use and grow from.

Respectfully,
David Walters