What is your understanding of the art

What is your understanding of the art

August 13th, 2008, 5:17 pm #1

The system of Self-Defense designed by Mr. Ed Parker Sr, is one of great sophistication, combined with logical application, in-order to preserve ones self during a physical altercation.

The system although developed from conceptual theory, is supported through the use of specific physical applications of movement. These applications can be replicated to produce specific results by the defender at multiple ranges and against multiple types of attacks. While there are many means of attacking (i.e. punches, kicks, locks etc) they still fall into one of the four primary categories (Un-Armed vs. Un-Armed, Armed vs. Un-Armed, Un-armed vs. Armed, and Armed vs. Armed).

Throughout the system there are geometrical patterns of recognizable movement, which allow the practitioner to apply mathematical formulation to engage the structure of the body. When the body’s movement activates the biomechanical alignment of the skeletal structure, the sub-levels of the supporting muscle groups respond in an active and inactive state, thus allowing the movement to be executed in either a thrusting or snapping fashion. While there are other types of delivery such as slicing, and chopping, they are to me sub-categories related to the path of entry on the apex of the arch.

There are lines of entry, which would suggest a linear strike, however I like to think of it as linear projection of the energy through the body regardless of the path or orbit of a strike. This may be in direct conflict to the statement of (where a linear line ends, a circular line begins, and where a circular line ends a linear line begins). However I feel that if one applies surface, and spherical geometry, this supports my comment.

The statement of (where a linear line ends, a circular line begins, and where a circular line ends a linear line begins) applies to more then just the path of the movement; it also separates the upper and lower platforms activity during the transition through the movement.

There exist several rotational axes within the body, but if we break down the main rotary locations they count up to the unlucky number13 for the attacker. (1 the neck, 2 the left shoulder, 3 the left elbow, 4 the left wrist, 5 the left hip, 6 the left knee, 7 the left ankle, 8 the right shoulder, 9 the right elbow, 10 the right wrist, 11 the right hip, 12 the right knee, and 13 the right ankle. By compressing, elevating, and rotating these rotational axes we can manipulate the upper and lower platforms to cancel out the attacker’s (3 height, 4 width and 7 depth zones) thus controlling the attackers centerline.

This can be done through orbital paths of liner projection of energy applied on angular lines of cancellation. In other words, If I wish to control the centerline of an attacker, I’m going to use rotational movement, to accelerate the projection of straight line force, delivered on an angular path through an orbital joint of the attacker.

A lot of words to say I’m going to hit the attackers joints with a circular orbit on a directional path in-order to collapse or transfer weight within the attackers base.

The conceptual theory of tools such as the Equation forumla, allows one the ability to expand beyond the limited responses and reactions that one may choose to employ during training. Few understand that just because we have a tool box (the equation formula) doesn't mean we have selected the right tool, or we have the understanding for the use of that tool.

I use to think that there was no right or wrong way to execute a technique, as long as there was the Equation Formula, this is by no means correct. There are right and wrong ways to execute a punch, kick, or block, even if they were employed out of the spontaneous necessity of the evolving situation.

The evolution of the students aided with the access of multiple medias, has taken the scientific analysis of anatomical movement to greater heights that was once reserved to those in a medical field. Understanding the physiological, neurological, and biological aspects of the body provides us with the means to contemplate how to manipulate those areas as they relate to, not only the attacker, but within ourselves as well.

When one starts to consider how to manipulate the attackers body, generally they consider only the physical means of doing so. However if one starts to attack the senses they can effectively manipulate the attackers position and intent, prior to the initial physical engagement through visual, audio and kinetics. In other words we start to play with their head, in-order to set up the attackers position to support our strengths and nullify theirs before they get into range.

Range exists on four basic levels 1. Out of Range (where we can not touch the attacker). 2. In Range (where we can make contact with the outer extremities of the attacker). 3. Range of Contact penetration (where we can do damage to the attackers vital areas). 4. Range of Contact manipulations (where we can direct the attackers body position through contact). Please understand that there is a difference between Contact manipulation and Control manipulation.

Contact manipulation is just that, we control the attackers response through our contact. I.E. strike the groin and the attacker bends forward.

Control manipulation is when we are actively controlling the attacker with constant contact.
I.E. An arm bar.

Someone else may wish to take it from here.

August 13th, 2008, 10:44 pm #2

...just well enough to know I understand very little.

Thanks for the post. Salute.

James Hawkins III, SI
Hawkins Kenpo Ju Jitsu
Baltimore, MD
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=kenpojujitsu3
http://www.myspace.com/kenpojames
410-948-1440

August 13th, 2008, 11:10 pm #3

The system of Self-Defense designed by Mr. Ed Parker Sr, is one of great sophistication, combined with logical application, in-order to preserve ones self during a physical altercation.

The system although developed from conceptual theory, is supported through the use of specific physical applications of movement. These applications can be replicated to produce specific results by the defender at multiple ranges and against multiple types of attacks. While there are many means of attacking (i.e. punches, kicks, locks etc) they still fall into one of the four primary categories (Un-Armed vs. Un-Armed, Armed vs. Un-Armed, Un-armed vs. Armed, and Armed vs. Armed).

Throughout the system there are geometrical patterns of recognizable movement, which allow the practitioner to apply mathematical formulation to engage the structure of the body. When the body’s movement activates the biomechanical alignment of the skeletal structure, the sub-levels of the supporting muscle groups respond in an active and inactive state, thus allowing the movement to be executed in either a thrusting or snapping fashion. While there are other types of delivery such as slicing, and chopping, they are to me sub-categories related to the path of entry on the apex of the arch.

There are lines of entry, which would suggest a linear strike, however I like to think of it as linear projection of the energy through the body regardless of the path or orbit of a strike. This may be in direct conflict to the statement of (where a linear line ends, a circular line begins, and where a circular line ends a linear line begins). However I feel that if one applies surface, and spherical geometry, this supports my comment.

The statement of (where a linear line ends, a circular line begins, and where a circular line ends a linear line begins) applies to more then just the path of the movement; it also separates the upper and lower platforms activity during the transition through the movement.

There exist several rotational axes within the body, but if we break down the main rotary locations they count up to the unlucky number13 for the attacker. (1 the neck, 2 the left shoulder, 3 the left elbow, 4 the left wrist, 5 the left hip, 6 the left knee, 7 the left ankle, 8 the right shoulder, 9 the right elbow, 10 the right wrist, 11 the right hip, 12 the right knee, and 13 the right ankle. By compressing, elevating, and rotating these rotational axes we can manipulate the upper and lower platforms to cancel out the attacker’s (3 height, 4 width and 7 depth zones) thus controlling the attackers centerline.

This can be done through orbital paths of liner projection of energy applied on angular lines of cancellation. In other words, If I wish to control the centerline of an attacker, I’m going to use rotational movement, to accelerate the projection of straight line force, delivered on an angular path through an orbital joint of the attacker.

A lot of words to say I’m going to hit the attackers joints with a circular orbit on a directional path in-order to collapse or transfer weight within the attackers base.

The conceptual theory of tools such as the Equation forumla, allows one the ability to expand beyond the limited responses and reactions that one may choose to employ during training. Few understand that just because we have a tool box (the equation formula) doesn't mean we have selected the right tool, or we have the understanding for the use of that tool.

I use to think that there was no right or wrong way to execute a technique, as long as there was the Equation Formula, this is by no means correct. There are right and wrong ways to execute a punch, kick, or block, even if they were employed out of the spontaneous necessity of the evolving situation.

The evolution of the students aided with the access of multiple medias, has taken the scientific analysis of anatomical movement to greater heights that was once reserved to those in a medical field. Understanding the physiological, neurological, and biological aspects of the body provides us with the means to contemplate how to manipulate those areas as they relate to, not only the attacker, but within ourselves as well.

When one starts to consider how to manipulate the attackers body, generally they consider only the physical means of doing so. However if one starts to attack the senses they can effectively manipulate the attackers position and intent, prior to the initial physical engagement through visual, audio and kinetics. In other words we start to play with their head, in-order to set up the attackers position to support our strengths and nullify theirs before they get into range.

Range exists on four basic levels 1. Out of Range (where we can not touch the attacker). 2. In Range (where we can make contact with the outer extremities of the attacker). 3. Range of Contact penetration (where we can do damage to the attackers vital areas). 4. Range of Contact manipulations (where we can direct the attackers body position through contact). Please understand that there is a difference between Contact manipulation and Control manipulation.

Contact manipulation is just that, we control the attackers response through our contact. I.E. strike the groin and the attacker bends forward.

Control manipulation is when we are actively controlling the attacker with constant contact.
I.E. An arm bar.

I just beat people up. I don't know about all the other stuff. That is my understanding of the art. Beating people up. I do not care who they are, their race, religion or any of that. I just beat people up. That is my understanding of the art

August 13th, 2008, 11:35 pm #4

I.E. An arm bar.

Mathematical formulation to attack skeletal structures? Equation formula? Scientific Anatomical Analysis?...it's just Karate...wow...kenpo is a mess.....makes for a good hobby though all that fancy talk....

August 14th, 2008, 1:32 am #5

I.E. An arm bar.

No that is contact pentetration control.

There are several axis- the most critical runs from your coccyx to your brain stem similar to the celestial axis of the earth. Contolling the spine allows for ease of movement.

Because you opted not to use plane theory in your descriptions.

August 14th, 2008, 1:40 pm #6

I just beat people up. I don't know about all the other stuff. That is my understanding of the art. Beating people up. I do not care who they are, their race, religion or any of that. I just beat people up. That is my understanding of the art
True, in comes a new student and you start hitting them to demonstrate your special techs LOL...

Do this... so I can kick you in the cup, and then strike you in the spleen area so you know how it will feel, (if it should ever happen to you in real life that is)...

Pretty basic BS if you ask me...I have been through it all, in my natural prime...But the best thing "is old dogs, children and water melon wine"... Tom T. Hall

Gary

August 14th, 2008, 2:13 pm #7

I.E. An arm bar.

1.Out of Contact
2.Within Contact
3.Contact Penetration
4.Contact Manipulation

1. You are out of reach of your opponent/enemy, vice/versa.

2. You are within reach of your opponent/enemy, vice/versa

3. This is the stage where your weapon can effectively penetrate the depths of the target maximizing the injury you can produce, vice/versa (Going through the target, not to the target). In this stage your penetration will place your enemy where you want him to be. This is a means of effectively striking so that it sets you up for a follow up attack if needed. No wingflapping Kenpo. This allows the "For every action there is an equal or opposite reaction" to take place and I have enough force to place him where I intend him to go.

4. This is the stage of control once the contact has been made. This is where we can contour, use leverage, take him down, apply chokes, use different holds and locks, etc. This is the grappling stage of Kenpo. Although this is the range to strike with elbows and knees, it is the closest range, which involves us to be able to manipulate the persons body with constant contact.

Sometimes we go right to 4 (crossing talon). Sometimes we stay with 3 and not go to 4 (reversing mace). Sometimes we go from 3 to 4 (dance of death).

Just wanted to point out that your statement about 4. was not correct and you were actually talking about 3. We control our opponent while penetrating through the target, but we manipulate the joints and such by locks and holds, ect. aka contact manipulation.

Michael Miller, CKF

August 14th, 2008, 2:43 pm #8

..there is a difference between contact manipulation and control manipulation. And he explained them beautifully. You can achieve contact penetration at contact manipulation "range" and vice versa..especially since they are target dependent (I can contact penetrate the skull while I'm at range to control manipulate and break the elbow for example). These ranges could have been more clearly identified as "tactics" because "ranges" 3 and 4 have more than considerable overlap regarding distances.

Of course we can have an entire discussion of what which book said and a seperate branching discussion of how some of the stuff in the books can be disproven through application.

There's also the minor detail that if you're hitting with any ummph!! you cannot contact penetrate without contact manipulation (Case Study: just try to penetrate through a target WITHOUT manipulating its direction, placement, velocity or a combination of the three...can't be done or you didn't penetrate)....hense some people's use of the additional term of control manipulation.

James Hawkins III, SI
Hawkins Kenpo Ju Jitsu
Baltimore, MD
410-948-1440
Last edited by KenpoJuJitsu3 on August 14th, 2008, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 14th, 2008, 2:55 pm #9

I would also add...I made a big deal out of contact manipulation in a passing moment. I was informed unceremoniously that it can be as simple as "now I'm touching you; now I'm not...but it's on MY terms, not yours", or it could be much more complex.

August 14th, 2008, 3:22 pm #10

I always liked the below explanation from the below web address..particularly the part that states target impact manipulation is "the resultant of target impact penetration" and the clear seperation of contact manipulation and control manipulation.

http://www.ukfkenpo.com/pg/concept1.html

1. Out of Your Personal Range of Controlled Engagement and In the Tactical Area of Response

Visual clarification of the stimuli is the process of the beginning of the conditioned response. Clarity of the opposing action and the recognition of danger begins this process. The assembly of resources, internal, external and universal activation, and the conscious commitment to unify energy. Natural response to the unfolding reality brings progress. Progress supports enlightenment. The embodiment of a natural way is reflective on one's ability to lose control, and the loss of that control reflects the lack of continuity with the laws of the universe. Co-joined energy manifests in the dynamic nature of peace and collection personifies the projection of this energy. Refusal of a negative human to enter your peaceful state is unyielding victory. Victory is multi-faceted.

2. In Your Personal Range of Controlled Contact
Up to and including your Four Rings. Physical observation is digested of the enemy. The nature of the attack is cataloged, and action unfolds. Decision is forthright on the course of action. If an attack is imminent, the detachment process is complete. Action to action; attack the attack. Commitment to the depth of attack, and life and death is platformed. Critical mass. In an atom, critical mass is achieved when several heavy particles are occupying the same space, therefore creating extraordinary chains of catastrophic events. Harmony permeates your vision, and penetrates your enemies dwelling.

3. Controlled Impact Penetration and Target Creation
Penetrating the dimension in which you are attacking. Dimensional steps in maneuvering to penetrate the center of the opponents mass is referred to as penetrating the spinal ring. When the spinal ring is penetrated, and the action completes its cycle, the understanding is that you have gone through your target, not to your target. Penetration of a human's spirit disables the will to resolve. Relentless pursuit and constant invasion in an expanding domination of the enemy's physical dimensions. Connected sequential attack. Synergistic engagement. Total and complete unification of the laws of the universe, unfolding and blooming. The sequence is natural and real. The mighty redwood begins as a seed from a single point, and the sequence and impulse to manifest destiny is underway.

4. Target Impact Manipulation
The resultant of impact penetration. Simply understood as if you hit someone, this is where they will be after you hit them. This continuous process maintains the attack in an unfolding sequential state of physical domination. Assessing the depth of a continuing attack. Impact penetration and impact manipulation are exchanged and connected. The physical destruction of your opponents will to continue. Breath and stamina are destroyed. Spirit wanes and fades, expanding and acting on one's energy.

5. Physical Body Control Manipulation
The contoured physical state of controlling your opponents actions by canceling all his dimensions. Common terms of wrestling and grappling are applicable. Locks and hugs. A constant physical attachment with your opponent, maneuvering to tactical advantage and to physically dominate. Energies are united and harmony with the universe has been established. Spirit domination is conjoined to one's control. The wind pushes the sail on course, charts are plotted and manifest. All control of your opponent has been dominated. And as the wind passes, the aftermath and the void of wind has energy as the sail bellows in anticipation.

6. Control Manipulation Maintenance
Physically controlled state of opponent domination as survey is made of the environment. The process of attachment and tactical arrangement of your four ring domination. Assessment of the conscious level of your enemy. Decision to inaugurate a new attack is determined. From survey of the physical plane, and survey of the enemy's state of life and the ability to retaliate an offensive attack. The course is set, the sail full and in control.

7. Control Manipulation Release
The physical release of your opponent in a tactical advantage for you, and canceling his ability to gain advantage on you. Capture your energy for complete control. Disengaging harmony from your opponent, remove the wind. Mission complete. Resolved. If no contact made, victory. If death is created, molecular change begins. Fill your sail and inhale as you exhale the bad wind, life.

8. Extraction
The physical maneuvers that places you in an expanded tactical area of response, and the maximum distance from danger without compromise, gaining physical visual control of your environment. Personal search of your body for injury. Attachment with your way, gathering back the loose lines, focus in on the journey as seen and lived. Expanding back in, conjoining destiny and circumstance, nothing personal is lost, acceptance of unfolding events and digestion of the resultant.

This sequence of events is a state of awareness. The farther the target is away, the less the adjustment to maintain on the target. If the target/enemy is recognized at a greater distance, the unfolding has greater clarity. Small purposeful adjustments in target alignment have greater impact as the target/enemy begins engagement.

James Hawkins III, SI
Hawkins Kenpo Ju Jitsu
Baltimore, MD
410-948-1440
Last edited by KenpoJuJitsu3 on August 14th, 2008, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.