What is wrong with Kenpo?

What is wrong with Kenpo?

January 6th, 2010, 10:20 pm #1

Let's focus on our art for a second. My question to you, if you are an advanced Kenpoist, is: What is wrong with Kenpo?

My answer: There is nothing wrong with Kenpo; but there are many who study/practice Kenpo who are missing the boat.

If we were to generalize our art. My answer to "what is wrong with Kenpo" would be: there is too much flash. That flashy crap will get you seriously injured in reality.

Any comments?

January 6th, 2010, 10:29 pm #2

I'd say that beyond the flashy crap being unavoidable in a society where, 'all that is solid melts into air," and the likes of ESPN2 martial arts competitions are mistaken for good martial arts, it is only remarkable that matters are not worse.

Additionally, I'd suggest that various media sources such as the UFC and ninja movies give far too many people unrealistic ideas about their abilities, as well as about how much damage they can sustain.

My cures would involve:
a) work on basics and forms rather than giving lip service to basics and forms;
b) immediate reform of sparring/forms events at tournaments;
c) immediate reform of all, 'self-defense routines," events at tournaments;
d) a few other things that I can't see how it would be helpful to mention.

But that would happen, of course, in happyhappy bunnyland.

R.M. Robertson

P.S. One of the things that should probably change is the idea that, "once upon a time, everything was nifty." Some of the stuff that's annoying is as old as the martial arts themselves.

January 6th, 2010, 11:53 pm #3

Thank-you, Dr. Robertson for an honest answer.

"Additionally, I'd suggest that various media sources such as the UFC and ninja movies give far too many people unrealistic ideas about their abilities, as well as about how much damage they can sustain."

I certainly agree about the ninja movie thing. As for the UFC, although the general public tend to create a misperception about the realities of self-defense based upon their favorite UFC fighter's so called invicinbility, I have a lot of respect for MMA fighters. I feel that they are in better shape than any other sport competitor. I actually spar MMA style usually once per week or so and I teach an MMA class. Before I did so, I had a negative opinion of those in MMA. Once I opened my mind a bit and started training/coaching in that arena, it has opened new doors to my Kenpo--in my opinion.

That doesn't disqualify the differences between sport and street, and the fact that there are several MMA guys who think they are the toughest people on the planet. I know and understand all the arguments. I have vowed to look at both sides of the coin and create my own path based off of logic.

"My cures would involve:
a) work on basics and forms rather than giving lip service to basics and forms;"

LOL. I like it.

"b) immediate reform of sparring/forms events at tournaments;
c) immediate reform of all, 'self-defense routines," events at tournaments;"

I gotta say, tournaments aren't my thing--period; although they have their place in our system, in my view. I feel certain aspects of them are part of the reason why we see so much unrealistic flash in Kenpo.

"But that would happen, of course, in happyhappy bunnyland."

There's still hope

"Some of the stuff that's annoying is as old as the martial arts themselves."

I agree, but could you give some specifics?

January 6th, 2010, 11:56 pm #4

Let's focus on our art for a second. My question to you, if you are an advanced Kenpoist, is: What is wrong with Kenpo?

My answer: There is nothing wrong with Kenpo; but there are many who study/practice Kenpo who are missing the boat.

If we were to generalize our art. My answer to "what is wrong with Kenpo" would be: there is too much flash. That flashy crap will get you seriously injured in reality.

Any comments?
Does it take to change a lightbulb?????

When you can answer the question then you will know......

Rich

January 6th, 2010, 11:59 pm #5

..."4 to screw in the lightbulb, and 6 more to tell you, 'that's not how Mr. Parker taught me'."

Am I close?

January 7th, 2010, 12:13 am #6

The mob mentality.......

That's not the way Mr. Parker taught it!!!!! Maybe, but your'e way is not the way Mr. Parker did it!!!!!!

Difference between learning it an doing it.....

It only takes one to change a lightbulb, when the lightbulb goes on then you can see that.

Rich

January 7th, 2010, 12:20 am #7

"That's not the way Mr. Parker taught it!!!!! Maybe, but your'e way is not the way Mr. Parker did it!!!!!!"

I don't have the mentality of "that's not the way Mr. Parker taught it." I made that statement because I heard a joke similar to that one time and I attempted to quote it.

"Difference between learning it an doing it....."

Agree.

"It only takes one to change a lightbulb, when the lightbulb goes on then you can see that."

Cool.

Edit: by the way, I think I remembered the quote properly now: "one to change the lightbulb and ten to tell you 'that's not how Mr. Parker taught me.'"

Last edited by millhouse23 on January 7th, 2010, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 7th, 2010, 12:23 am #8

I'd say that beyond the flashy crap being unavoidable in a society where, 'all that is solid melts into air," and the likes of ESPN2 martial arts competitions are mistaken for good martial arts, it is only remarkable that matters are not worse.

Additionally, I'd suggest that various media sources such as the UFC and ninja movies give far too many people unrealistic ideas about their abilities, as well as about how much damage they can sustain.

My cures would involve:

But that would happen, of course, in happyhappy bunnyland.

R.M. Robertson

P.S. One of the things that should probably change is the idea that, "once upon a time, everything was nifty." Some of the stuff that's annoying is as old as the martial arts themselves.
Robert said this:
My cures would involve:

I'm saying this:
Basics begin where your feet touch the ground and almost everything Kenpo is determined by how well you have trained your feet to get you from one stable stance to to another by understanding the pivot points of the feet, weight transfer and Flexion of the knee and ankle.

Reform sparring before you get to the tournament and the promoters will make a division for you to compete in. Sparring (as labeled on you tube incorrectly) as Kenpo Sparring is the goal to achieving stable student retention. It doesn't have to be verified by those mooks on Bullshido to be of value. Point sparring is Kenpo Sparring in my opinion as long as you can see the what your opponent is capable of doing (position recog), I am not saying that you can play patty cake now, I am saying that our techniques are sparring tools. It takes afew years to be able to teach this viewpoint, but it is doable.

Self Defense routines that resemble the images of the clock principle in I.I. should be abandoned for a better model. Attacks should be pulled from a hat at each belt level lower than what the competitor is wearing. Let's hope that there are no funky derivative belt sequences out there that blows this idea out of the water. Sure.

My opinions, not to be construed as those of the people who have trained me in the Kenpo I love.
Clark

January 7th, 2010, 12:27 am #9

"That's not the way Mr. Parker taught it!!!!! Maybe, but your'e way is not the way Mr. Parker did it!!!!!!"

I don't have the mentality of "that's not the way Mr. Parker taught it." I made that statement because I heard a joke similar to that one time and I attempted to quote it.

"Difference between learning it an doing it....."

Agree.

"It only takes one to change a lightbulb, when the lightbulb goes on then you can see that."

Cool.

Edit: by the way, I think I remembered the quote properly now: "one to change the lightbulb and ten to tell you 'that's not how Mr. Parker taught me.'"
That was just a generalization of what I have been told, not quoting you or anything!!!!

Pretty hard to define something that is infinite and trying to contain it within a certain time frame or perspective......I find it very unlikely that Mr. Parker would not have changed it from it's present day offering.

Just cuz I was not there at the time does not mean I don't understand it at the present......tailored is as tailored does.

Rich

January 7th, 2010, 12:29 am #10

Again, just a generalization, not directed at you.....just my answers to questions directed towards me.

Rich