What do you consider the most important basics...

What do you consider the most important basics...

June 1st, 2012, 9:34 pm #1

What do you consider the most important KENPO basics, in terms of working movements, to ingrain in a new student and WHY?

June 2nd, 2012, 9:45 am #2

As you know Parker spoke always of building block letters. Now when he spoke of this he did it in different contexts. The most fundamental context he used was that the block letters of the Kenpo basics were the old more extended karate basics. The karate basic prior to being tailored for American Kenpo. So in my school of thought it is extremely important that a person be rooted in the root basic in order to appreciate and perform the kenpo version. One must understand a corner before one can round it. One must know a line before arc it. One must know a circle before one can tighten it to an ellipse.

1. Square Horse
2. Front Stance
3. Inward, Outward, Upward, Downward Blocks
4. Reverse Punch
5. Front, Rear, wheel, side kicks
* Step and punch, counter punch, Neutral stance, back stance and fundamental drilling of all the above

These things should be ingrained prior to any "Kenpo" in my view. Also with a caution that some karate styles lead better to American Kenpo than others

June 2nd, 2012, 3:18 pm #3

What do you consider the most important KENPO basics, in terms of working movements, to ingrain in a new student and WHY?
Covering distance, whether it's to the front, rear, side or off angle. Remember, "The best defense is to run, however, Karate teaches you to run with dignity." Ed Parker

June 2nd, 2012, 4:06 pm #4

All of them!

Stances
Foot Maneuvers
Blocks
Kicks
Punches
Parries
Strikes
Finger Techniques

Apparently, I'm in a driving analogy mood today

All the driving basics are important, you can't focus on the gas pedal, using mirrors, break pedal, signaling, and leave out using the clutch, or the gear selector, etc.

The basics are the building blocks for a reason, leave something out and the whole building is unstable.

June 5th, 2012, 5:07 pm #5

Covering distance, whether it's to the front, rear, side or off angle. Remember, "The best defense is to run, however, Karate teaches you to run with dignity." Ed Parker
This I can relate to regarding movement, strong legs are essential.

Discussion on another board, about deep squats, horse stance is ok, it is one that should be done with movement to be effective, ie Katas, or something like the two man set. IMHO
Be in strong physical shape, as Bruce Lee mentioned, that is best.
I like to strike bags and do FMA, sticks, with a flowing movement to stay limber.
Sinawali is good.
Although basic sinawali training offers a number of significant benefits to the novice, the real value of these drills lies in the root movements and the practitioners ability to understand and creatively express these movements.
http://kifightingconcepts.wordpress.com ... al-motion/

Regards,
Gary

June 6th, 2012, 8:53 pm #6

"Common Sense"

June 15th, 2012, 3:29 pm #7

showing up!!!! All the rest stems from there!!!