We CAN stand together beside one another...

We CAN stand together beside one another...

April 30th, 2009, 5:29 pm #1

...if we will but try. Turn up your speakers - stand up - start the video - clap you hands - stomp your feet - shake your booty - and dance as if no one is looking.

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2539741

Salute

April 30th, 2009, 10:15 pm #2

I got up and danced....even with everyone looking.
Thanks for posting this, it was the best part of my day!

May 1st, 2009, 12:23 am #3

May 1st, 2009, 5:58 am #4

I got up and danced....even with everyone looking.
Thanks for posting this, it was the best part of my day!
Earlier this evening I was talking with a friend who watched the video and asked, "Are all those people hooked up together during that video?" That's a good question. In the beginning of the video we see a couple of people with computers who might be networking to those other countries - and as I recall some were singing and playing at night - and had earphones. I'm guessing they are all tied together and playing simultaneously. Comments?

Cheers

May 1st, 2009, 6:22 am #5

I believe the two most distant locations laterally around the globe were new mexico and moscow, both in daylight. South Africa was also in daylight. I don't know for sure, and don't care enough to check, but it seems unlikely that all three locations would have daylight at once, even considering one being morningtime while another is evening.

Great vid, though.

Peace,
Scott

May 1st, 2009, 6:26 am #6

Okay, so I went tohttp://www.sciencemonster.com/virtualglobe/index.html and moved the globe so that I could barely see all three locations, which means (ignoring tilt on axis) that it should be possible for all three locations to have daylight at once, though with long shadows in all three. Were there long shadows in all three locations in the vid? I think South Africa looked pretty dusky, but New Mexico and Moscow did not.

Peace,
Scott

May 1st, 2009, 8:06 am #7

I believe the two most distant locations laterally around the globe were new mexico and moscow, both in daylight. South Africa was also in daylight. I don't know for sure, and don't care enough to check, but it seems unlikely that all three locations would have daylight at once, even considering one being morningtime while another is evening.

Great vid, though.

Peace,
Scott
Here's what I got: Santa Monica (daylight), New Orleans (daylight), Netherlands (daylight), France and Brazil (night), Russia (daylight), Venezuela (daylight), Italy (daylight), Congo (daylight), South Africa (daylight), and Spain (night). How this all pans out with a globe, which I don't have, I don't know. Glad you enjoyed the video.

Salute

May 1st, 2009, 12:03 pm #8

Earlier this evening I was talking with a friend who watched the video and asked, "Are all those people hooked up together during that video?" That's a good question. In the beginning of the video we see a couple of people with computers who might be networking to those other countries - and as I recall some were singing and playing at night - and had earphones. I'm guessing they are all tied together and playing simultaneously. Comments?

Cheers
This video is a project called Playing for Change. The producers travel from country to country, recording each artist. The artists are not linked at the same time; they listen to what was recorded previously and add their flavor to the song. Below is a link that can explain more.

Good cause and love the older guy from New Orleans, Grandpa Elliott. I posted a YouTube clip below on David/Bob's (or whoever he goes by nowadays) thread that made him get sick in his mouth... Made my day.

http://www.playingforchange.com/journey/introduction

Carrie Yaffe

May 1st, 2009, 5:20 pm #9

Hey Carrie. Really cool stuff("come on people, smile on your brother...". any of you old enough to remember that one? Shut up Tom, I know you're more than old enough). Made my day and a half. Got any more?
And if you ain't with the one you love, love the one you're with.
Dave

May 1st, 2009, 6:56 pm #10

>"come on people, smile on your brother..."<<br>

No. Can't say I'm familiar with that one. Must be from the Big Band era? My teen years are more in the... uh... '70s? '80s? I remember Nixon was president. Or maybe he was vice president. OK, I gotta go have breakfast. It's getting close to my afternoon nap.

Last edited by kenpotom on May 1st, 2009, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.